Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Photos Thread

World Champion
    This one comes courtesy of the 'Canterbury Motorsport Pre 1970' Facebook page.
    South Island Specials, Ruapuna 1968.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    Another from FB
    Alec Birch photos of 'True Chevotion', a street registered!! erm.. dragster built early 1970's by one of the American serviceman posted to Longbank near Blenheim.

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Another from FB
    Alec Birch photos of 'True Chevotion', a street registered!! erm.. dragster built early 1970's by one of the American serviceman posted to Longbank near Blenheim.
    Bry3500, back in the day 50-70's a race car had to have Registration, you would see cars with the Rego plate attached to the floor inside the car, don't know the reasoning !!

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Bry3500, back in the day 50-70's a race car had to have Registration, you would see cars with the Rego plate attached to the floor inside the car, don't know the reasoning !!
    Thanks Roger! Did they have to have headlights as well?

Thanks Roger! Did they have to have headlights as well?
    That's pretty radical, didn't notice them to start with : would have thought they were too far back, but I guess only way to get at the right height without huge column brackets.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    I think this has been covered before on this forum, but the annual registration gave you some sort of compulsory third-party insurance cover. I recall the forms having a long list of motor insurance providers on the back, from which you had to choose one. Eventually the insurance lobby had its way and it was scrapped. I'm not sure it was ever compulsory and I don't recall reg plates on speedway cars, but there are plenty of pictures of single-seaters with registration plates in Graham Vercoe's Historic Racing Cars book.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    I think this has been covered before on this forum, but the annual registration gave you some sort of compulsory third-party insurance cover. I recall the forms having a long list of motor insurance providers on the back, from which you had to choose one. Eventually the insurance lobby had its way and it was scrapped. I'm not sure it was ever compulsory and I don't recall reg plates on speedway cars, but there are plenty of pictures of single-seaters with registration plates in Graham Vercoe's Historic Racing Cars book.

Stu
    Stu, sounds right, they dropped CTP as they still have in Australia, think part of the ACC act which provided cover for victims of accidents, the people not the car..

Race cars were registered E Class A ,which was a farm registration for vehicles ,it was to cover machinery which had to go between farms on public roads. The Mini Max i raced and hillclimbed had such a plate,so this means the race cars were covered when they raced at Renwick,Waimate etc.A form of this registration still exists as far as i know and came across it a few years back when lookinging at a BMW 2002 forsale in Tauranga and this guy had his car registered like that and used it on the road all the time.............not a good idea ,because if he had had an accident he would not have been covered !

to go along with Ross Holling's post. there was also a daylight WOF that was required. no lights, indicators,parking brake, wipers, windscreens, doors, just basic things to operate the vehicle on the public roads, but only from sunrise to sunset

Semi-Pro Racer
    The 'E' class A thing was not without problems, I remember trying to get it for the OSCA Cortina when I first built it and struck a 'jobsworth' at the Post Office, who insisted that as it was a car & 5000cc I had to pay the going rate equivalent to a new 302 Falcon, that wasn't going to happen on my pay scale, so two days later Mrs Mac went in and registered our brand new 'Ford 5000'... job done!.. BTW the rego was reqd for third party due to most club events run under MANZ being on closed public roads- beach racing, 1/4 miles, hillclimbs etc.
    Still silly stuff going on today, I have a tractor with side mount mower that was ex parks & reserves, was on full rego due to operating outside a limited km radius from base, its registered as a caravan... don't ask me how they arrived at that classification!
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 12-15-2015 at 10:10 PM.

What a beaut ........ looks like Wally in the Zepher power black car on the right & our other icon in 77....not sure who the othesr are or were , but all going hard these guys , home made specials etc , about the era of the 30 min production car racing

Semi-Pro Racer
    This one comes courtesy of the 'Canterbury Motorsport Pre 1970' Facebook page.
    South Island Specials, Ruapuna 1968.
    Front on pole looks like Barry Keen's helmet, probably Begg Twin Cam, outside on front row is the Begg/Humber 80 car ( Dr D Brunton?, Russell Thompson or Colin Bunce?), # 70 is Norm Smith in the Stuart Special and #77 should be Peter Leversedge. Car @ 2 on front row may be Lindsay Tosh in Begg /Daimler. Appears to be another front engine car @ 3 on front row that has beaten everybody else off the line. As Grant mentioned Wally Darrel in black car.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 12-16-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Woow Jac that is a great recall , as a lad Peter & Wally stood out from the crowd in their specials , know doubt the others were fantastic but too young to appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Appears to be another front engine car @ 3 on front row that has beaten everybody else off the line.
    Could the fast starter be 260M Zephyr? maybe the white/cream car on far right at the rear of the grid is the A50 Special with a Wasp and Bumble Bee nearby.

What are the 2 very low motorbike powered cars?

One would be Ron Walton's Wasp.
    Name:  Ron Walton Wasp.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  109.9 KB

Ron used to have a tv science show back in the b&w days called "In The Nature Of Things."

World Champion
    I remember taking a photo of a driver in a race car at Pukekohe that I think was powered by four chainsaw engines.
    I do not have the photo and my memory is not that sharp now, I think it was about 1967 - 69.
    I think the car may have caught fire somehow.
    Can someone verify any of this please ?
    Thanks in advance.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-17-2015 at 04:29 AM.

I recall an experimental circuit kart powered by four McCulloch chainsaw engines (one driving each wheel), with a low flat bodywork painted in Team Cambridge colours so prob 1969, had a rudimentary spoiler and was fearsome quick in corner speed. No idea how old the intrepid pilot lived to be....

Does anyone know anything about Trade Me listing #: 998993912 "Historic Single Seater Special" ?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Trade Me listing #: 998993912 "Historic Single Seater Special" ?
    this one