Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Photos Thread

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Attachment 16475Found this picture in a newspaper about 14 years ago,advertising ACC,have kept it ever since.Gets alot of comments. . . . Any one know more about this.
    Pretty sure it's Raynond Mays in one of his Brescia Bugattis (Cordon Bleu or Cordon Rouge) in an English hillclimb circa 1923

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    We have here a Jag 3.8 that - according to the writing on the back "hit marshalls post, back straight Pukekohe 1966?"
    ID anyone - wasn't Dave S was it?
    No not me, was a near new car ex Archibald I think, note old school Dunlop racing tyres. I used to know the name of the guy that owned it but damned if I can remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Pretty sure it's Raynond Mays in one of his Brescia Bugattis (Cordon Bleu or Cordon Rouge) in an English hillclimb circa 1923
    Close David. It was 1924 at the Caerphilly Mountain hill-climb and the car was Cordon Bleu.

Thanks guys.I knew someone would no who it was.This site is amazing the knowledge is endless. . .thanks again

Journeyman Racer
    The Torana French Hell Drivers put on an appearance at Teretonga in the 1970's as part of a NZ tour. As part of the show they drove the Torana's on 2 wheels (right round Teretonga's 2.6km track). Unsure of the dates but was in the late 1970's. Note in the background the new clubrooms being built - in 2013 they are now the old clubrooms with the building of the new control tower.
    Name:  Programme.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  141.8 KBName:  scan.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  95.9 KBName:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  82.7 KBName:  scan0004.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  102.4 KBName:  scan0005.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  116.7 KB

Journeyman Racer
    The Torana French Hell Drivers put on an appearance at Teretonga in the 1970's as part of a NZ tour. As part of the show they drove the Torana's on 2 wheels (right round Teretonga's 2.6km track). Unsure of the dates but was in the late 1970's.
    Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  89.7 KBName:  scan0006.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  84.2 KBName:  scan0007.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  86.7 KBName:  scan0008.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  80.8 KBName:  scan0009.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  83.5 KB

They came to Ocean Veiw Speedway in Wanganui to i saw them,drove right round the track on two wheels in the Toranas.Also remember driving a Vangard into a big block of ice

Note left hand drive conversion.
    They also drove around the trotting track in Epson. Did shows all over.
    Know bit about them and 2 wheel, more for a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    This is the boat that I helped build alongside my Brother in Law Aussie Offshore Legend Peter Noonan (whom passed away just last week).....and did the Pacific 1000 in coming second overall and first in Class 2 ...amongst a lot of other Offshore races in Australia. We brought it out to NZ in the 80's for a marathon North Island 4 day race from Auck/ Tutukaka/Bay of Islands/Helensville where we came second to the recently late Barry Ford. The boat went back to Australia and was purchased by John Garrity of Visor fame who is currently residing in the Phillipines where he set up a Marine Business. Primarily the boat was designed to empty the Shark Nets along each beach on the Gold Coast....(I did this job alongside my bro in laws for three years on the weekends....(Chick City Arizona!!)....oh hence the name Shark Cat.... Just another snippet for you's all. Cheers. Tony Rutherford.

You're a man of many talents Tony, thats a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by southspeed View Post
    The Torana French Hell Drivers put on an appearance at Teretonga in the 1970's as part of a NZ tour. As part of the show they drove the Torana's on 2 wheels (right round Teretonga's 2.6km track). Unsure of the dates but was in the late 1970's.
    Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  89.7 KBName:  scan0006.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  84.2 KBName:  scan0007.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  86.7 KBName:  scan0008.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  80.8 KBName:  scan0009.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  83.5 KB
    Bloody hell, these are crazy!

Yes, but did the guy in the Vauxhall doing the jump have a 48mm or a 42mm main hoop in his rollcage, did he have two retaining clips on his fire extinguisher, did he have a relief valve fitted for his `air' brakes, or maybe this was connected to his undies? He probably also signed an idemnity form making him his own risk and solely responsible for his vehicle. But that was a while ago, things are `different' now.........

Do I note a touch of sarcasm there Steve ! Nothing like clearing the brain of excess crap that floats around at times. Good on you.

They came to Te Marua speedway also and had planned a 2 wheel escapade down the Wainuiomata Hill road. IIRC that didn't happen due to issues with Council/MOT/ road closures etc ...
    Perhaps we were a bit PC in those days too?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Two pics I would like identified if possible - must be someone out there who knows who/what. Taken at Puke - probably a club meet, ACC or NSSC, late 1965 - 66. Look like Brabhams - may be the same car. My memory is going and there is nothing on the photos to indicate who /what/when
    JohnL
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Semi-Pro Racer
    I may have been going through a "take photos of engines" phase - Jim Palmer's Lotus, Pukekohe, Jan 1966. I like the rag stuffed up the exhaust....

Semi-Pro Racer
    I notice the dark red Torana is LHD, yet has NZ rego, assume the green one was also, Also remember some discussion with a Radio interview where they admitted that the spider gears had been 'modified' for the two wheel demos..

N Z Hot Rod mag. 1970

Photo was taken by Gavin Evitt. RIP.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Wasn't there gossip at the time, that, the reason it "flew off the track', was because he didn't have a sufficient outlet for the radiator, so the front of the car pressurised.......

We were annoyed at the time, because, having heard all about it, we were looking forward to seeing (and hearing) it go.......

As we all should know, Dennis was the engineer involved with he Anzial Nova. A great talent.