Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Photos Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Name:  Vintage lost wheel.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  100.9 KBFound this picture in a newspaper about 14 years ago,advertising ACC,have kept it ever since.Gets alot of comments. . . . Any one know more about this.
    Pretty sure it's Raynond Mays in one of his Brescia Bugattis (Cordon Bleu or Cordon Rouge) in an English hillclimb circa 1923

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Pretty sure it's Raynond Mays in one of his Brescia Bugattis (Cordon Bleu or Cordon Rouge) in an English hillclimb circa 1923
    Close David. It was 1924 at the Caerphilly Mountain hill-climb and the car was Cordon Bleu.

Thanks guys.I knew someone would no who it was.This site is amazing the knowledge is endless. . .thanks again

Journeyman Racer
    The Torana French Hell Drivers put on an appearance at Teretonga in the 1970's as part of a NZ tour. As part of the show they drove the Torana's on 2 wheels (right round Teretonga's 2.6km track). Unsure of the dates but was in the late 1970's.
    Name:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  89.7 KBName:  scan0006.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  84.2 KBName:  scan0007.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  86.7 KBName:  scan0008.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  80.8 KBName:  scan0009.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  83.5 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    We have here a Jag 3.8 that - according to the writing on the back "hit marshalls post, back straight Pukekohe 1966?"
    ID anyone - wasn't Dave S was it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    We have here a Jag 3.8 that - according to the writing on the back "hit marshalls post, back straight Pukekohe 1966?"
    ID anyone - wasn't Dave S was it?
    No not me, was a near new car ex Archibald I think, note old school Dunlop racing tyres. I used to know the name of the guy that owned it but damned if I can remember it.

Journeyman Racer
    The Torana French Hell Drivers put on an appearance at Teretonga in the 1970's as part of a NZ tour. As part of the show they drove the Torana's on 2 wheels (right round Teretonga's 2.6km track). Unsure of the dates but was in the late 1970's. Note in the background the new clubrooms being built - in 2013 they are now the old clubrooms with the building of the new control tower.
    Name:  Programme.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  141.8 KBName:  scan.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  95.9 KBName:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  82.7 KBName:  scan0004.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  102.4 KBName:  scan0005.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  116.7 KB

Note left hand drive conversion.
    They also drove around the trotting track in Epson. Did shows all over.
    Know bit about them and 2 wheel, more for a later date.

You're a man of many talents Tony, thats a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    You're a man of many talents Tony, thats a great story.
    Thanks Steve....crikey mate..I just recently wrote down a few things that I have achieved through out my adventure to very good friend Jim "Yet to get in front of me" Short......and you know when I look at it on paper ... I just think...holy crap did I do all that....and the funny thing is..yes I did and then I would remember another tale that I forgot to mention. So although I haven't spent a lot of time on this site of late...(busy with my ongoing adventure...).... I find it so bloody engrossing that I end up reading all these stories and somewhere along the line they will cross where I have been and I don't like correcting people but I like accuracy if you know what I mean? I think that this site is the best site in the world for us blokes who like their "fix" of listening to a great yarn or two of years gone by that entailed a bit of bravado and risk taking coupled with speed....Thank you Steve for the opportunity to unleash on you...................Regards, Tony Rutherford.

They came to Te Marua speedway also and had planned a 2 wheel escapade down the Wainuiomata Hill road. IIRC that didn't happen due to issues with Council/MOT/ road closures etc ...
    Perhaps we were a bit PC in those days too?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Two pics I would like identified if possible - must be someone out there who knows who/what. Taken at Puke - probably a club meet, ACC or NSSC, late 1965 - 66. Look like Brabhams - may be the same car. My memory is going and there is nothing on the photos to indicate who /what/when
    JohnL

Weekend Warrior
    Two different cars as the roll bars and exhausts are not the same shape. I think the first one is Ken Sager on the left of the car and his Dad leaning over it. Unable to identify the second car.

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Two pics I would like identified if possible - must be someone out there who knows who/what. Taken at Puke - probably a club meet, ACC or NSSC, late 1965 - 66. Look like Brabhams - may be the same car. My memory is going and there is nothing on the photos to indicate who /what/when
    JohnL
    An educated guess might be Kenny Smiths car no reason apart from the two ladies to the right who from memory are related to him. The one on the right looks very much like his late dear Mother.
    Last edited by GPBK; 03-09-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I agree about the ladies, which would make the car one of the Smiths' Lotuses. On the other hand they might be eying up the opposition

SPman is right about Ken and Jim Sager with the car in the top photo.

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I agree about the ladies, which would make the car one of the Smiths' Lotuses. On the other hand they might be eying up the opposition

SPman is right about Ken and Jim Sager with the car in the top photo.
    Think they are eyeing up the oposition as it does not look like a Lotus to me. Dorothy, as I remember was always close to her handbag even in those days, Magic lady.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I may have been going through a "take photos of engines" phase - Jim Palmer's Lotus, Pukekohe, Jan 1966. I like the rag stuffed up the exhaust....

Semi-Pro Racer
    I notice the dark red Torana is LHD, yet has NZ rego, assume the green one was also, Also remember some discussion with a Radio interview where they admitted that the spider gears had been 'modified' for the two wheel demos..

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    I notice the dark red Torana is LHD, yet has NZ rego, assume the green one was also, Also remember some discussion with a Radio interview where they admitted that the spider gears had been 'modified' for the two wheel demos..
    Diffs welded (locked), converted to left hook, engine oil feeds played around with also.
    Mostly flip up ramp at speed and then glide along.

N Z Hot Rod mag. 1970

Photo was taken by Gavin Evitt. RIP.