Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Photos Thread

Weekend Warrior
    Two different cars as the roll bars and exhausts are not the same shape. I think the first one is Ken Sager on the left of the car and his Dad leaning over it. Unable to identify the second car.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    As we all should know, Dennis was the engineer involved with he Anzial Nova. A great talent.
    True. Is he still extant?

Here we have an example of the perils of racing your everyday car - Gerry Smaller at an ACC club meet on the club circuit at Puke, Feb 1970. A very nice little Riley Elf which met it's demise against the pole and guard embankment. Made even worse by the fact, someone removed the Weber and manifold when the car was back in the pits and the driver was being attended to.....

The lower pic is Mike Edgell (Randalls older brother) in his Imp, at the same meeting.

Club racers - the unsung little men who do it mainly for the fun....
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by SPman; 03-08-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Wasn't there gossip at the time, that, the reason it "flew off the track', was because he didn't have a sufficient outlet for the radiator, so the front of the car pressurised.......

We were annoyed at the time, because, having heard all about it, we were looking forward to seeing (and hearing) it go.......
    I'm not sure, but what I am sure about is that from the next flaggie spot it was a terrifying "what the %$#@ do I do now" time, and I can still see it coming directly down the track!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    You're a man of many talents Tony, thats a great story.
    Thanks Steve....crikey mate..I just recently wrote down a few things that I have achieved through out my adventure to very good friend Jim "Yet to get in front of me" Short......and you know when I look at it on paper ... I just think...holy crap did I do all that....and the funny thing is..yes I did and then I would remember another tale that I forgot to mention. So although I haven't spent a lot of time on this site of late...(busy with my ongoing adventure...).... I find it so bloody engrossing that I end up reading all these stories and somewhere along the line they will cross where I have been and I don't like correcting people but I like accuracy if you know what I mean? I think that this site is the best site in the world for us blokes who like their "fix" of listening to a great yarn or two of years gone by that entailed a bit of bravado and risk taking coupled with speed....Thank you Steve for the opportunity to unleash on you...................Regards, Tony Rutherford.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    I notice the dark red Torana is LHD, yet has NZ rego, assume the green one was also, Also remember some discussion with a Radio interview where they admitted that the spider gears had been 'modified' for the two wheel demos..
    Diffs welded (locked), converted to left hook, engine oil feeds played around with also.
    Mostly flip up ramp at speed and then glide along.

Lucky i had a sheltered upbringing and did not get rapt up with rascals like you Tony (Jizim) and uncle Jim and the rest of that lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Two pics I would like identified if possible - must be someone out there who knows who/what. Taken at Puke - probably a club meet, ACC or NSSC, late 1965 - 66. Look like Brabhams - may be the same car. My memory is going and there is nothing on the photos to indicate who /what/when
    JohnL
    An educated guess might be Kenny Smiths car no reason apart from the two ladies to the right who from memory are related to him. The one on the right looks very much like his late dear Mother.
    Last edited by GPBK; 03-09-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I agree about the ladies, which would make the car one of the Smiths' Lotuses. On the other hand they might be eying up the opposition

SPman is right about Ken and Jim Sager with the car in the top photo.

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I agree about the ladies, which would make the car one of the Smiths' Lotuses. On the other hand they might be eying up the opposition

SPman is right about Ken and Jim Sager with the car in the top photo.
    Think they are eyeing up the oposition as it does not look like a Lotus to me. Dorothy, as I remember was always close to her handbag even in those days, Magic lady.

Journeyman Racer
    Stockcar racing was very strong in Eastern Southland during the 1970's - here is a photo taken I think at Monaghan's at Brydone in 1974. It was basically paddock racing. Can anyone help with names etc.
    Name:  stockcars1-1.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  116.3 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    PH**K, thats a long time ago, pretty sure its Kevin Woods in #2 with either the early 289 motor or it did have a 351w later, the 'spinner' is Peter Woods car with a 390GT, there is a slight possibility that it might be me driving it as the one & only time I did was spent mainly in that attitude, what a heap of shite that car was, steering ratio so slow you had to start planning for the next corner about 30 seconds beforehand & bump steer like you would not believe!!!. Point of interest, I think the rear tires were a pair of M&S [ mud & snow] that came with the GT500 that Peter Woods had bought as an insurance write off, then rebuilt & sold around that time, can remember the insurance company did not want a bar of it being a Shelby, probably played a big part in Woody getting into the import business as getting the bits to fix it was a steep learning curve at the time.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 03-16-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Journeyman Racer
    Can send you a copy if you like - just need an email. Was Monaghans the Pat that raced the E49 Charger in the 70's

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, that was the same Pat Monaghan, cant have been long after that photos time that Riverside Raceway just south of Teretonga became active, in fact construction was probably underway.

Journeyman Racer
    Here is Pat Monaghan in a Falcon at Teretonga Oct 1972 - a bit of a rough photo - but it is history - note control tower in the infield
    Name:  6981290619_83eaf2aae5_o.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  83.8 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, thats Pat in the ex Ernie Sprague GTHO, IIRC it went back up the Sth Island before John Gillard brought it back down south, by which time Pat was into the E49's.

Jac, is that Falcon still down the deep south. What colour was/is it please.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Jac, is that Falcon still down the deep south. What colour was/is it please.
    No, IIRC it went north to Tauranga? with John Gillard when he shifted up there & bought or started a car yard. Car was always Green, quite a dark green with metallic that you could only see when clean & in good light. Ownership IIRC was Ernie, Pat, Ernie?, John... there is a pic somewhere else on this site of John at Ruapuna coming around the sweeper onto the main straight. Car was fitted with the option 15 x 7 globes at some time during Johns ownership.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 03-18-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Story doing the rounds years ago was when the GTHO was being recovered back down south after a meeting at Ruapuna. One very keen fan wanted to get a ride back south in the GTHO - Ok said the driver in command, fill the car with fuel and you are on.
    Story went that it took around 160 litres to fill and the fan could have flown back and forward a couple of times for what it cost for fuel!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    Story doing the rounds years ago was when the GTHO was being recovered back down south after a meeting at Ruapuna. One very keen fan wanted to get a ride back south in the GTHO - Ok said the driver in command, fill the car with fuel and you are on.
    Story went that it took around 160 litres to fill and the fan could have flown back and forward a couple of times for what it cost for fuel!!
    I could envisage any one of the three southern owners or respective pit crew/followers making an offer like that... in fact if that was all it cost him he got off very lightly..the crew members themselves were not very fuel efficient.

Imagine filling one now,
    Remember mate got his new one and when it arrived was just about empty so went to local station to fill it and kept looking under car to see if there was a leak.