Thread: Cromwell

Cromwell

This is pretty neat.

http://www.highlands.co.nz/

Mark

Semi-Pro Racer
    ...well, I've posted My 'Entry' form...........thunder427/MJ

Hi guys,

Whats the deal here?? has this been in the pipeline for sometime now?

Tony Quinn, VIP Pet Foods, has taken over as head director and is putting up most of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Tony Quinn, VIP Pet Foods, has taken over as head director and is putting up most of the money.
    Holy hell motorsport is definitely on a roll here in New Zealand. Bring on completion date and opening.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ...well, I've posted My 'Entry' form...........thunder427/MJ
    Me too Myles, I just have to get my MANZ approved rollcage fitted, and I'm good to go!

Name:  25592391870_large.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  129.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Tony Quinn invested in this new circuit when his deal to buy Hampton Downs didn't work out. Hope they can get the track usage & crowd numbers down there!

Semi-Pro Racer
    I understood from a recent Craig Quinn interview on Speed week or similar TV station that is was a topend $ membership only Club circuit.
    Pay the membership fees, garage your car there and come and use it when you want.

A bit like an exclusive Golf Club.
    Similar circuits are in Europe etc

I maybe wrong.

Well, can't argue about another race track in NZ, the more the merryier i say!! but been up north getting there will always be the problem, cheaper to race in the US, maybe? Hmmmmm.

Dale M

World Champion
    Last edited by bry3500; 08-23-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    I understood from a recent Craig Quinn interview on Speed week or similar TV station that is was a topend $ membership only Club circuit.
    Pay the membership fees, garage your car there and come and use it when you want.

A bit like an exclusive Golf Club.
    Similar circuits are in Europe etc

I maybe wrong.
    Yep, kind of heard the same, for top bracket (money) only. Be good to see what does actually happen. Looks good. It is a fair way from Christchurch and Queenstown is a good twisty drive also (with trailer if they are allowed). Accomodation be interesting.
    Believe he wants to run a series similar to Le Mans type in Middle East, Aussie and there.
    Will be interesting to watch developments.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-18-2012 at 09:24 PM.

[QUOTE=Rod Grimwood;18150] Queenstown is a good twisty drive also (with trailer if they are allowed). Accomodation be interesting.
    QUOTE]

You can tow a trailer there ok Grimme but you need to watch out for old goldminers and their pack horses coming out of the river bed, the road is now sealed something to do with the 14,000 plus vehicle movements per day up the gorge. You also need to watch out for trucks and semi trailers, buses, cyclists, camper vans and tourists driving rental cars on the wrong side of the road.

Check out Queenstown accomodation here
    http://www.queenstownnz.co.nz/

Below is a few extracts from their latest newsletter

What is the timeframe for completion?
    The Nose (restaurant) will open at the end of 2012.
    The tracks (circuit and kart track) will be sealed in November 2012. This will take 3 weeks. It will then need to set for 4 weeks so the track will be finished in January 2013. VERY exciting!
    The National Motorsport Museum will be finished before Christmas this year. A team of people is working on the exhibits.

Can we see a plan of the track layout?
    Yes, the plan will be posted on the new website which will be launched next week. Actually, I'll put it on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/HighlandsMotorsportPark. The new website (launched next week) will have a detailed description of the track!)

When will the first races be held?
    The first race meeting will be in November 2013: The Australian GT Series (http://www.australiangt.com.au/) and more will follow after that.
    Before that time, the track will be used for as a vehicle testing facility (by the Southern Hemisphere Proving Ground), member track days, hot laps etc.

Think the camper van is more worry than miners and horse Carlo, not knocking anything just think of a logistical position, which has obviously been addressed.
    Remember going through in Fern a few years back and it seemed a reasonable haul from Christchurch, the bonus being the beautiful scenery so that will be another plus.

Latest Update from 'Highlands Motorport Park'

Here's a summary from the latest 'Highlands Motorport Park' newsletter. Looks like they are making good progress...

The Tracks:
    • Construction of concrete barriers will begin next week.
    • The tracks are almost ready for cement stabilisation which will be applied in November, and the hot mix will be laid during December.
    • The kart track design is completed - construction will commence next week.

Gasoline Alley Garages:
    • Construction of the 48 stage one members' garages will commence in the next week or two.

National Motorsport Museum:
    • The entire floor slab is completed and being polished.
    • Steel framing is due to arrive next week.

The lake:
    • Lining of the lake with a special clay has now been completed.
    • The wharf is under construction.
    • A new bore has been drilled to supply the lake.
    • The lake should be filled next month. Its purpose is to irrigate a large portion of the 100 ha property.

The Nose Cafe & Restaurant:
    • The new cafe/restaurant is going to be amazing!
    • It's the first of the Highlands facilities to open... we can't wait!
    Last edited by John B; 09-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.

I spent some time talking to one of the original shareholders last year when overseas and he had the plans with him! Great concept and I hope it all goes to plan.