Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Steve Twist Collection: Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Amerikiwi - this is from the latest Classic Car magazine and may put you one step closer to that photo - "One of Bryan's old Levin mates, Murray Whitehead, now owns the ex-Faloon Anglia 105E, still in its original livery..." Article is by Michael Clark. Allan Walton is the editor and his email is editor@classiccar.co.nz

You can probably track it down through them.
    Thanks Shano, I'll contact Classic Car mag, look forward to reading Michael's article. Bob Homewood just emailed me a bunch of photos too, great networking on this site.

Also note I had some spelling errors in my original post! I'll have to blame it on the local culture (or wine) rubbing off on me, this region of southern Virginia has an illiteracy rate of (sadly) over 30%. I have worked with a couple of guys who could write their names but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    If anyone has a photo or two of Bryan's Anglia I would be very greatful if you could send to my email address -
    ellwoodusa@yahoo.com.
    I worked with Bryan in his last season with the Anglia then his first Tasman series with the Brabham Climax but most of the pics I shot have been lost.
    Currently I have a LHD Anglia up here in Virginia, 105Es are pretty rare in USA, I only know of one Broadspeed example based in Florida and racing in some vintage events.
    Cheers, Grant E.
    Yep, got quite a few of it long before I owned it. Grant, message me with your current email address, think the last time I talked you we were at Manfeild when Richard Lester had a sponsor's day.

Be nice to see some photos on here frd1, they were real race cars the old angle box

Yeah I'd like to see that too!

Steve, In posting 10 you have Phil hill in the second of the McLaren team cars. This was Bruces 'Slim Line' from the previous year.
    The second photo in posting 17 bought a smile to my face. I am working head down in the forground on one of the 2 McLaren team cars in with Bruce Harre (back to camera watching on). Tyler Alexander is without a shirt on the far right and half of Teddy Mayer is next to him.
    What bough the smile was Jimmy Clark denting the roof of his Rental Car with his elbows in the back ground. He had run into the back of Bruce McLarens car when pulling out of the Hooka Falls 'Look Out' and done a fair amount of damage to the 'Renta'. It would have been only moments later than this photo was taken that a man was trying to get Jim's attention. Not being able to hear what he was saying because of the noise, stood up on the bonnet and walked dent, dent forward, to hear the man say "Mr Clark I am the local agent for the Rental Car Company coming to get a report on the accident you had". We chuckled about that one for the rest of the series.

Journeyman Racer
    I was a very nervous 18 year old when i took that shot I remember standing there for quite a few minutes before i plucked up the courage to say "excuse me Mr Clark could you look into the camera for a few seconds" he willingly obliged to my surprise, but you could do that in those days.I should not have quit then as there were a quite a few F1 drivers there! But that face on photo of my then hero has allways been on my wall wherever I have lived!

Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    Steve, In posting 10 you have Phil hill in the second of the McLaren team cars. This was Bruces 'Slim Line' from the previous year.
    The second photo in posting 17 bought a smile to my face. I am working head down in the forground on one of the 2 McLaren team cars in with Bruce Harre (back to camera watching on). Tyler Alexander is without a shirt on the far right and half of Teddy Mayer is next to him.
    What bough the smile was Jimmy Clark denting the roof of his Rental Car with his elbows in the back ground. He had run into the back of Bruce McLarens car when pulling out of the Hooka Falls 'Look Out' and done a fair amount of damage to the 'Renta'. It would have been only moments later than this photo was taken that a man was trying to get Jim's attention. Not being able to hear what he was saying because of the noise, stood up on the bonnet and walked dent, dent forward, to hear the man say "Mr Clark I am the local agent for the Rental Car Company coming to get a report on the accident you had". We chuckled about that one for the rest of the series.
    Wal, I love that story! Just fantastic. Its possible some Zephyr enthusiast owns that car now and has no idea who was once sun bathing on it! I'm just impressed he was able to lay there in the first place. That metal under the baking sun must have been like a frying pan!

Just thought I'd bump this thread back to the top for those newer members who've not seen these photos before.

Journeyman Racer
    This comes under the "What happened to" category. What did happen to the Ferrari 250lm that Andy Buchanan raced? Did Spencer Martin have it before or after him? Anyone know where it is now? One thing for sure.Its worth a pretty penny for sure!

The easy bit of these questions; Spencer had it before Andy. After Andy it went back to Aus (I think) and then.......

Steve, the question did come up several months ago on here, but I'm buggered if I can remember the answer. I'll do a bit of digging, but it ended up either in the US or Europe.

Steve, I found it over in the Kiwi Big Banger Sports Car thread along with current photo: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...and-early-70-s

But answer as follows:

More info on the above 250 LM here, thanks to Mike Feisst and Allan Dick:

"The Scuderia Veloce car – chassis #6321 – as far as I know, is part of the Ralph Lauren Collection.

According to Road & Track magazine:

The 250 LM in the Ralph Lauren collection had an extensive and successful racing career in Australia. Chassis 6321, it had a dozen wins in the highly competitive racing Down Under. Among those wins was one in the Surfers’ Paradise 12 hours in 1966, co-driven by a young driver just beginning a brilliant career: Jackie Stewart.”

The car is also listed on the Ferrari 250LM Register
    (www.ferrarilife.com/register) – although their entry doesn’t mention Ralph Lauren.

Here’s a photo of the car in the Lauren collection". Allan Dick

250 LM at the Surfers 12 hour 1966Name:  image0202035.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  54.5 KBName:  image0181829.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  49.2 KB
    Last edited by mid-year; 10-27-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    Steve many thanks I knew the answer would come from someone on this site! I just remember being in awe of that car and remember the few times I saw it.Levin and Puke it was allways out in front! And yes if its in the Lauren collection it is worth a pretty penny!!

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    250 LM at the Surfers 12 hour 1966Name:  image0202035.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  54.5 KBName:  image0181829.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  49.2 KB
    Beautiful photos Pete!