Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Steve Twist Collection: Part 1

This is the last batch for this thread. I'll create a new thread for Steve's Pukekohe photos.

Name:  05 Early to Late Levin 1967 1968 g041.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  05 Early to Late Levin 1967 1968 g039.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  141.9 KB

Name:  05 Early to Late Levin 1967 1968 g038.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  05 Early to Late Levin 1967 1968 g037.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  141.4 KB

Name:  05 Early to Late Levin 1967 1968 g042.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  136.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    I notice with interest some pics of Jim Clark in the Tasman Series.
    The Lotus 39 is now in Devonport Tasmania.
    The car was run by Clark in 66 Tasman Series then purchased by Geoghegans
    and ended up with a Repco V8. When sold by Geoghegans it went thru 2 more
    owners untill Hon John Dawson-Damer purchased it in 1976 and restored it back
    to 66 Tasman specs with a 2.5 Climax. It was auctioned a few years after
    Dawson -Damer died at Goodwood.
    It was purchased by the current owner at auction in 2008. The owner is an
    avid Jim Clark fan.

This was at Longford Revival in Apr 2011
    Last edited by Ellis; 06-04-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Photo 3 of post 34, #57, Bryan Faloon, 1650cc 105E Anglia

Journeyman Racer
    The sports car waiting to come up to the start line is Beowulf. Built in the mid sixties by Ian Horley from Palmerston North and raced very successfully by him. Ian was 6th fastest and second in class behind Peter Ransom in a Lancer. The car is still very active in Historic Racing. Ian is alive and well and turns up at a lot of meetings astride a 600cc Suzuki.

Its amazing how many photos have come up on this website that haven't seen the light of day before. Fantastic shots all of them
    Last edited by kiwi285; 08-08-2011 at 03:44 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Richards View Post
    Wonderfully evocative collection of pictures from a different era. Quality is amazing, I imagine they must be images from slides. The pit scenes convey how much simpler it all was then and how easy it was to get close to the world's best. The two FJ Holden's intrigued me the black no. 26 and the green and yellow no. 50, don't recall having seen them before. The sports car image of Spencer Martin I think it was in the 250LM Ferrari, leading Geoff Mardon in the Stanton and Jim Boyd in the Lycoming was cool as were all the others including the Houghton Bay Wellington Hillclimb pics. A tremendous collection, thanks Steve Twist.
    thats actually Andy Buchanan in the Ferrari.from memory a rather well to do farmer i think from wairarapa.

Journeyman Racer
    great job! i took the photos and remembered a lot of them but some until now were mysterys.is the bailey Zephyr corvette coppins old car does any body know? how did you know who all those drivers were? I would love to know!

Yes ,went to Bailey in Tauranga from Coppins ,he crashed it at the back to front Pukekohe Meeting up by Railway into a pole from memory ,remember the circuit was being run in reverse so it might have been under braking ,David Mc may remember
    I remember once in that era I went down to Tauranga to compete at a sprint which was being held on one of the straights of the old street circuit ,the start was just up by the Lumber Company,you had to come out the gate and then back up to the start ,he managed a real comic book start by dumping the clutch with quite a few revs on reverse by mistake it certainly,scattered the crowd

yes it does...well the body does, it has swapped a few owners s a body since about 1980, now back with tht owner here in wellington, and a long slow restoration starting, still has those fabricated front guards and aluminium bonnet that gave it that distinctive look...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Does Frank Hamlins beautiful Mini still exist?

Attachment 199

Attachment 200

Attachment 201

Attachment 202

Attachment 203

the bennett " A fordie "

well I can tell you it is the original, it been around the mill, had different owners but he bought it back while living here in wellington in the 80's, rebuilt it with some mods (improvements), then saw the light and has rebuilt it again back to it's original state. I saw the car again just today !! hope that helps.

Can anyone tell me if Peter Bennetts A40 Farina pictured above is the car he still has today, or did he build a replica of his old race car?[/QUOTE]

Peter was in my shop a couple of weeks ago ,and he also confirmed that question ,he actually wants to sell the car at the moment ,probably one of the last chances to get a car from that era of racing

Quote Originally Posted by hollylodge View Post
    well I can tell you it is the original, it been around the mill, had different owners but he bought it back while living here in wellington in the 80's, rebuilt it with some mods (improvements), then saw the light and has rebuilt it again back to it's original state. I saw the car again just today !! hope that helps.

Can anyone tell me if Peter Bennetts A40 Farina pictured above is the car he still has today, or did he build a replica of his old race car?
    [/QUOTE]

Bryan Faloon

If anyone has a photo or two of Bryan's Anglia I would be very greatful if you could send to my email address -
    ellwoodusa@yahoo.com.
    I worked with Bryan in his last season with the Anglia then his first Tasman series with the Brabham Climax but most of the pics I shot have been lost.
    Currently I have a LHD Anglia up here in Virginia, 105Es are pretty rare in USA, I only know of one Broadspeed example based in Florida and racing in some vintage events.
    Cheers, Grant E.

yes it does...well the body does, it has swapped a few owners s a body since about 1980, now back with tht owner here in wellington, and a long slow restoration starting, still has those fabricated front guards and aluminium bonnet that gave it that distinctive look...
    Thanks for that info, great to know the car has survived. Will be a nice addition to the historic grids when it returns.

Can anyone tell me if Peter Bennetts A40 Farina pictured above is the car he still has today, or did he build a replica of his old race car?
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I was quite sure this was the original car, I recall reading an interview with Peter about it. But more recently I'd read that the car is a replica of that which he'd originally raced. Thanks for clearing that up.

Amerikiwi - this is from the latest Classic Car magazine and may put you one step closer to that photo - "One of Bryan's old Levin mates, Murray Whitehead, now owns the ex-Faloon Anglia 105E, still in its original livery..." Article is by Michael Clark. Allan Walton is the editor and his email is editor@classiccar.co.nz

You can probably track it down through them.

This is a great collection of first class photo's thanks for sharing.