Thread: The Morrari recreation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Greg, are you still going to recreate the Morrari? You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that your Dad used to go to meetings at Pukekohe with Mike Stock. Mike worked with my Dad, Des Mahoney at the Auckland Star and Mike often went to the track in the 60's as part of the reporting team including Jack Inwood, to cover the races for The Star from the press box on top of the old members stand. It was like a military operation with regular dispatches being sent to headquarters as practise and the raceday progressed, plus beer! It was a big deal in those days, of course, especially during the NZGP, with big crowds and the excitement building as the drama of practice unfolded. I was only little but I remember when the Morrari first appeared and how wonderful people thought it was. The saloons were totally entertaining and the mixture of well funded and shoestring entries guaranteed high drama and innovation at every turn. My Dad and most other people in those days couldn't have cared less that an old and never particularly competitive or attractive Ferrari (nobody would have done that to a 250F!) had been put to such imaginative use and every other wild car that appeared was greeted with the same level of enthusiasm. If you're still in touch with Mike please say hi to him from me, he came to Dads funeral in 2010 and it was great to see him there.
    Last edited by robmahoney; 02-24-2017 at 01:37 PM.