Thread: The Morrari recreation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Don't let it become another Custaxie look alike but very little similar though Greg.
    Ok - here’s the deal. This isn’t a modern rendition of the Morrari. It’s a close recreation of the original car. The intent is if you close your eyes you should visualise the past thru this car when you open them again. No modern wheels or components and built as close to original as possible except the transaxle

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stokes View Post
    Ok - here’s the deal. This isn’t a modern rendition of the Morrari. It’s a close recreation of the original car. The intent is if you close your eyes you should visualise the past thru this car when you open them again. No modern wheels or components and built as close to original as possible except the transaxle
    Good news

Journeyman Racer
    Hi all,
    Thanks greatly for your posts and photos on here. It seems like there is a lot of interest in the Morrari and the recreation we are embarking on. I thought it was time for an update. I have been building a specific table on which we will recreate the Ferrari chassis based on the images we have collated. Chassis work is due to start very soon once the table and fixtures have been sorted.

The biggest issue with building this recreation is just that - its a recreation. Obviously the real car cannot be restored nor can we clone it due to the rarity of the Ferrari Super Squalo and the price tag attached to it. When the Morrari was built it was based on a 10 year old "has been" Ferrari race car and the merging of the Morris body was as simple as "its here, it looks like it should fit, lets do this". So in an era of Kiwi ingenuity and run what you brung, the most bastardised of race cars was born.

Interestingly during our research and talking to people, most have fond memories of the car but those off shore or don't appreciate Allcomers Racing of NZ, look at the Morrari as a silly and foolish waste of a Ferrari! Haha - its good to have something so polarising - it creates excitement, it urges speculation and assumption. It was just online last night on Facebook as I requested info and photos, someone commented saying I should check my facts as it was never built on a Ferrari chassis. Haha

The intent from day one has been to build it in the guise including the Wild Wheels widened 15" Merc rims and put the exhaust thru the hood. This is the hot rod coming out of us! The intent also is that we do not wish to build something which either is a modern rendition or uses modern components or build styles visible to the naked eye. We want to have the thing looking, sounding and running in such a way which people who can remember can say yep that's how I remember that thing.

We have enough images of the exterior and chassis and even the engine bay to confidently pull this off but still hoping to gain some understanding of interior layout and components used. Again this is not intended to have any modern build styles or components as we want to retain an overall Morrari vibe throughout. That said - I cannot bring myself to weld left handed or blindfolded so we feel it maybe a lil nicer than the original car in some areas.

We thank you all for your input, please keep the memories, comments, photos etc flowing as this all helps spur us along to get on to this neat project. It's Dad's car - I am just the fabricator and researcher - its been fun so far and we look forward to getting it done.

Greg & Mark Stokes
    gregstokes1932@gmail.com

[QUOTE=Greg Stokes;62825]...... most have fond memories of the car but those off shore or don't appreciate Allcomers Racing of NZ, look at the Morrari as a silly and foolish waste of a Ferrari! .....

There are some overseas who appreciate the Morrari as in communications over the years with UK motor racing journalist and author Simon Taylor (Motor Sport, Autosport, Classic & Sports Car etc), he has expressed a real admiration for the Morrari as one of his favourite cars.