Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Morrari recreation

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Milan- how many meetings did they do anti-clockwise?
    I remember Brown in a Mini Cooper (?) smacking his car badly, and it was deemed unsafe that way round.
    is this correct?
    Kevin Hirst- would you remember?
    Also does Ken Bailey now own the Zephyr Corvette-red /black 98 ?
    Only the one race meeting, though the circuit has been used the "wrong way" round for rallies and Targas. Your memory is correct about Ron Brown damaging his Mini when he lost it gong through Rothmans. Having no run-off at the end of the back-straight was another major problem.

I remember Brown in a Mini Cooper (?) smacking his car badly, and it was deemed unsafe that way round.
    is this correct?
    Robin also mentioned the Zephyr Corvette going off at Railway corner in the "wrong way" race. Rod Coppins was in the pits and asked Robin if it was bad, he was evidently upset that "his" car had been damaged.

B

So if Ken was driving it, did it still have pipes through the bonnet for this meeting?
    Ken said here that when he got it, pipes had to be normal exit before he could run it.- new rules.

is this correct?
    Hi, yes, sort of remember, it was a while ago now, a handicap race from memory, all the corner's sort of tightened up as you were accelerating out of them, seemed all wrong somehow, can remember looking in rear vision mirror after coming out of the hairpin & watching [ I think ] a mk2 zephyr rolling with doors coming open, did not really enjoy that meeting seemed all wrong somehow.

Did not David Oxton go off in his Lola exiting the top of Rothmans,seem to remember it was quite dark at the end of the race day,and only think they ran that way once.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    My confusion about which photo was being asked about.

The entry list I posted above was from the May 14, 1966 meeting and refers to the first photo.

This entry list is from the April 23, 1966 meeting, which was the one run in the reverse direction, and refers to the second photo.

Attachment 47999
    Thanks Milan & Bruce,
    Its great to see the race sheet! what a great line up. Shame about the offs.
    Last edited by Paul B; 11-27-2017 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    My confusion about which photo was being asked about.

The entry list I posted above was from the May 14, 1966 meeting and refers to the first photo.

This entry list is from the April 23, 1966 meeting, which was the one run in the reverse direction, and refers to the second photo.

Attachment 47999
    !st & 2nd P Fahey/ R Francevich not sure what order, K Hirst 3rd also A90 was2912 not 1912, cheer's

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    !st & 2nd P Fahey/ R Francevich not sure what order, K Hirst 3rd also A90 was2912 not 1912, cheer's
    Hi Kevin, So you had the A90 Atlantic sports coupe with a Healey 2.912cc 6 cyl engine in. have you got some pics?

World Champion
    Milan,
    When would this photo of the Morrari # 104 ? at Pukekohe been taken ?

Name:  Morrari at Pukekohe.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  119.2 KB

Another photo at Pukekohe. (I think. )
    Name:  Souness, Morrari.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  66.0 KB

The advantages of a split front windscreen and LHD can be seen in this photo.
    (Not sure where this photo was taken. )
    Name:  Garth Souness. Morrari.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  73.0 KB

Any idea why the opposite headlight is out in the last two photos ?

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-28-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Was that Robins coupe in the second photo Roger
    See Milans Note and this photo.. This is John Riley's car same meeting I think ..

Name:  Pukekohe May 1966 #12 Ford Corvette Johhny Riley v2, CCI13102015 (2).jpg
Views: 850
Size:  153.7 KB

The photo with one side of the screen out is Matamata.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Hi Kevin, So you had the A90 Atlantic sports coupe with a Healey 2.912cc 6 cyl engine in. have you got some pics?
    Paul, no it was the 1956 austin A90 westminster, 2.6 ltr. bored to 2912cc with later A99 pistons, this car was actually the car in the earl's court motor show in 1956, later imported into N.Z. unfortunatly no pics but ex from many year's ago might, must find out, cheer's

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    The photo with one side of the screen out is Matamata.
    Matamata 1965. Motorman reported 15 broken windscreens that day.

Looking for an answer to Ken's question I came across this piece on the Morrari in the August 1965 edition of the Auckland Car Club Bulletin.

Name:  img848_1.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  165.1 KB

Milan- Thanks for finding and posting this A.C.C. 1965 Bulletin article.
    I dont know how much time you spent looking for it, but it is well received and appreciated by us all.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Milan,
    When would this photo of the Morrari # 104 ? at Pukekohe been taken ?

Name:  Morrari at Pukekohe.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  119.2 KB

(Ken H)
    I haven't been able to find a race where the Morrari was number 104.

Going by the other cars in the photo - 117 N. Pointon, Chev Coupe, 102 Ivan Cranch, Consul-Jag and 138 Doug Bremner, VW - it could be the December 12, 1964 meeting where the car was not in the programme but did win it's first race. Paul Fahey was in that race in his Lotus-Cortina numbered 104.

At the 1965 NZIGP meeting the Morrari was numbered 122.

This photo is from the Motorman report of the December 1964 meeting.

Name:  img852_1.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  65.8 KB

Another possibility is the February 27, 1965 meeting where the Morrari was driven by Glen Jones and was again not in the programme.
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 11-29-2017 at 03:44 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    In one of the first collections of mine on here there are some color shots of it at Puke one of it on the back of a truck being taken back to the pits after breaking g down.Fahey had the bread van Anglia in that
    Race

That last photo (from Motorman) would appear to be very early. The body is still pristine, the number plate appears to be brand new, and the wiper doing it's aerial impersonation! And still on the wires.

World Champion
    Milan,
    That looks like the car in the December 1964 race. Could the number be 194 ?

Thanks again for all your inputs. I was at the 1965 Matamata races and I still needed you to remind me of what it looked like !
    I watched from along the main street and saw Jim Boyd in the Lycoming Special almost go up the steps of the local church making a right turn !

(Ken H)

As we try to point out to competitors (and critics of unlabelled photographs...), late entries not only create a massive amount of extra work for organisers and officials, whether voluntary or paid, but they make any future historian's job a total nightmare. Not so long ago, a programme would have to be produced by a printer and maybe even typeset, so late entries (if they were even accepted) would never be in the programme.

Late entries is very much a Kiwi thing, not just in motorsport. Scan many old UK race programmes and every race has a list of reserves. If you didn't get your entry in early, no chance!