Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Morrari recreation

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    I haven't been able to find a race where the Morrari was number 104.

Going by the other cars in the photo - 117 N. Pointon, Chev Coupe, 102 Ivan Cranch, Consul-Jag and 138 Doug Bremner, VW - it could be the December 12, 1964 meeting where the car was not in the programme but did win it's first race. Paul Fahey was in that race in his Lotus-Cortina numbered 104.

At the 1965 NZIGP meeting the Morrari was numbered 122.

This photo is from the Motorman report of the December 1964 meeting.

Attachment 48042

Another possibility is the February 27, 1965 meeting where the Morrari was driven by Glen Jones and was again not in the programme.
    The number is actually 194. One of my 2 programmes for the December 12 1964 meeting shows the winner of the 8-lap race for the fastest 16 cars as car number 194. Souness was not listed in the programme, but must have been a late entry.
    I have a cutting from the following Monday's "Herald" showing the number more clearly, although the curvature of the Morris body does not help, current attempts to reduce it to acceptable size will not work, so I will re-scan it tomorrow. Or I may even find an 8mm film clip.

Stu
    Last edited by stubuchanan; 11-29-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    That last photo (from Motorman) would appear to be very early. The body is still pristine, the number plate appears to be brand new, and the wiper doing it's aerial impersonation! And still on the wires.
    That was its first appearance and as Motorman stated, it was the "Star of the day." They weren't sure what to call it at that stage. Morrariette or Corarri Minor were suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    That was its first appearance and as Motorman stated, it was the "Star of the day." They weren't sure what to call it at that stage. Morrariette or Corarri Minor were suggested.
    Milan, as usual your information is great, it helps me with correct;y sorting my photos, as my 1966 / 67 one's have been mixed up a bit.
    cheers and Thanks, Roger D.
    P.S. would have had the issue of Motorman as used to get them from the Stationery /Bookshop across the road from school. Had a standing order for the English " Autocar " and Donn's " Motorman " from 1964 onwards.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-30-2017 at 08:06 PM.

I know this is off the topic, but if anyone has Motorman which features the Matamata races, in(or on) the back cover there was a pic taken very early in the morning with 2 teenage boys in the heavy frost. I would like to see it again.

I know this is off the topic, but if anyone has Motorman which features the Matamata races, in(or on) the back cover there was a pic taken very early in the morning with 2 teenage boys in the heavy frost. I would like to see it again.
    Matamata 1964

Name:  img857_2.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  146.4 KB

Name:  img857_1.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  33.1 KB

Thanks Milan, one of those is me. The other my best friend, now deceased.

Journeyman Racer
    Work is commencing on the Morrari recreation finally BUT we still need to get any photos of this car - including interior and engine etc details and also talk to ANYONE and EVERYONE who was involved with the car or remembers it well

Thanks,

Greg & Mark Stokes

I found this pic on the net hope it helps
    Name:  Morrarri.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  72.6 KB

Oops just saw it 2 pages back

To be honest Greg, my memory of the interior is that it was not flash! It would be amazingly easy to over do this recreation

From my recollection and without being critical I think "a bit rough around the edges" typifies the whole car.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    From my recollection and without being critical I think "a bit rough around the edges" typifies the whole car.
    Eggs zackly

Journeyman Racer
    To be honest Greg, my memory of the interior is that it was not flash! It would be amazingly easy to over do this recreation
    Thanks guys for the responses. Yes I understand its not flash or rough around the edges. I think some creative license will be in order with it

Don't let it become another Custaxie look alike but very little similar though Greg.

Journeyman Racer
    Don't let it become another Custaxie look alike but very little similar though Greg.
    Ok - here’s the deal. This isn’t a modern rendition of the Morrari. It’s a close recreation of the original car. The intent is if you close your eyes you should visualise the past thru this car when you open them again. No modern wheels or components and built as close to original as possible except the transaxle

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stokes View Post
    Ok - here’s the deal. This isn’t a modern rendition of the Morrari. It’s a close recreation of the original car. The intent is if you close your eyes you should visualise the past thru this car when you open them again. No modern wheels or components and built as close to original as possible except the transaxle
    Good news

Journeyman Racer
    Hi all,
    Thanks greatly for your posts and photos on here. It seems like there is a lot of interest in the Morrari and the recreation we are embarking on. I thought it was time for an update. I have been building a specific table on which we will recreate the Ferrari chassis based on the images we have collated. Chassis work is due to start very soon once the table and fixtures have been sorted.

The biggest issue with building this recreation is just that - its a recreation. Obviously the real car cannot be restored nor can we clone it due to the rarity of the Ferrari Super Squalo and the price tag attached to it. When the Morrari was built it was based on a 10 year old "has been" Ferrari race car and the merging of the Morris body was as simple as "its here, it looks like it should fit, lets do this". So in an era of Kiwi ingenuity and run what you brung, the most bastardised of race cars was born.

Interestingly during our research and talking to people, most have fond memories of the car but those off shore or don't appreciate Allcomers Racing of NZ, look at the Morrari as a silly and foolish waste of a Ferrari! Haha - its good to have something so polarising - it creates excitement, it urges speculation and assumption. It was just online last night on Facebook as I requested info and photos, someone commented saying I should check my facts as it was never built on a Ferrari chassis. Haha

The intent from day one has been to build it in the guise including the Wild Wheels widened 15" Merc rims and put the exhaust thru the hood. This is the hot rod coming out of us! The intent also is that we do not wish to build something which either is a modern rendition or uses modern components or build styles visible to the naked eye. We want to have the thing looking, sounding and running in such a way which people who can remember can say yep that's how I remember that thing.

We have enough images of the exterior and chassis and even the engine bay to confidently pull this off but still hoping to gain some understanding of interior layout and components used. Again this is not intended to have any modern build styles or components as we want to retain an overall Morrari vibe throughout. That said - I cannot bring myself to weld left handed or blindfolded so we feel it maybe a lil nicer than the original car in some areas.

We thank you all for your input, please keep the memories, comments, photos etc flowing as this all helps spur us along to get on to this neat project. It's Dad's car - I am just the fabricator and researcher - its been fun so far and we look forward to getting it done.

Greg & Mark Stokes
    gregstokes1932@gmail.com

[QUOTE=Greg Stokes;62825]...... most have fond memories of the car but those off shore or don't appreciate Allcomers Racing of NZ, look at the Morrari as a silly and foolish waste of a Ferrari! .....

There are some overseas who appreciate the Morrari as in communications over the years with UK motor racing journalist and author Simon Taylor (Motor Sport, Autosport, Classic & Sports Car etc), he has expressed a real admiration for the Morrari as one of his favourite cars.

Greg, some of the people out there just don't get that many of the cars you have alluded to were tired old racing cars that were considered as "something we can dump on the colonials". That's part of the reason why NZ wound up with what are now considered as real gems. At the time they were just old junk.
    The Pat Hoare 246 (?)/GTO was a case in point too. Until Historic racing grew in Europe nobody wanted these things. As a result they were either turned into something that could be used, parked in a barn, or lost.
    You have my total admiration for doing this car.

Weekend Warrior
    Roger's Forge suburb, just north of Baltimore City
    And of course, Simon Taylor, himself, was known for owning ( and competing in) something of a 'Bitsa".....otherwise known as the "Stovebolt Special"

World Champion
    I know this is a bit out of place but this was also a NZ Allcomer that I clearly remember accelerating away from the "Elbow Corner" at Pukekohe with smoke pouring from the dual rear wheels. Great memory of a very brave driver, Colin Lumsden.
    I just wondered what became of this behemoth ?
    Thanks Bruce T for the photo.
    Name:  Lumsden. De Soto.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  137.2 KB

(Ken H )