Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Morrari recreation

Just make sure you copy the original then resize the copy! Looking forward now to a Reece photo thread, as I am sure are many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeceracer View Post
    Hi Steve, Yep it's amazing what quality the old slides have, I've got some fantastic ones of Red Dawson (dad was a mate of his), Graham Hill, Jim Palmer, etc from that era, all never before seen, which I'm am looking forward to posting on this site when I can figure out the best way of doing it.......any guidance appreciated...Cheers, Reece.
    Hi Reece, if it's easier you can save them on a memory stick and post to me and I can create a dedicated thread for them as I've done with other collections here. Can't wait to see more.

Morrari - Nose off

A photo from NZ Hot Rod Magazine - Graham Woods archives, shows the car with nose off and the engine in full view !. Quite early on as on the Borrani Wires and the guards not flared out.
    Not sure if it has been posted previously.

Name:  Morrari G Souness NZ Hot Rod Mag G Woods archive .jpg
Views: 2034
Size:  46.8 KB

Journeyman Racer
    While working on something else today I was flicking thru a Classic Driver Magazine with a feature on the Morrari in it and I couldn't help notice a close up into the dash area showing what looks like a single seater dash in there. I really need to ask you all again who were there and recall the car - was the single seater dash used from the original Super Squalo car and if so was it in the centre or was it somehow moved to the left to line up with the left hand drive steering in the Morrari?

I realise there maybe few if not no photos ever available of the inside of the Morrari but I am asking the guys who saw this car to really remember what the dash layout might have been. Sure we can guess the shit out of this but I wanna get this as close to right as possible.

Thanks,

Greg
    GMS Hot Rods

Greg, would it be worth trying to track the Inwood collection of pics? Then again you have probably gone down that road. My memory on the dash is too vague to be any help.

Journeyman Racer
    Thanks mate - I could take another look. I am really hoping someone out there has a photo of the car with even just one of the doors open or something

I believe the McLaren Trust has Inwood's photos.

World Champion
    Courtesy of FB and Alan Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bry3500; 06-05-2018 at 10:09 PM.

The Squalo dash certainly looks the same !Name:  images (Small).jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  65.3 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Allan Dick has posted a photo on his Classic Autonews Facebook page. It shows the interior of the car at the 1965 NZGP meeting with a dash (and possibly drivers seat) from a Mini.

1965 Grand Prix meeting - a Montage

From Allan Dick " Classic Autonews " archive where the B and W photo posted above showing the Ferrari /Morrari Dash. - Post #228..

a couple of photos of the Morrari for you Greg Stokes !!

Name:  Motor racing Pukekohe 1965 NZIGP Classic Autonews archive .jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  135.5 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 06-05-2018 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Post # 228 #### 47

I think that the earlier car mentioned by Steve #20 (formerly with the engine in the speedboat) was the first car that Tom Wheatcroft bought for his Donington Collection. In which case, Doug Nye would probably be the guy to contact.

Good to catch up with Greg today at Caffeine & Classics and there may be another local person who may have access to drawings or information. This may just be a very, very long shot of course!
    Last edited by ERC; 06-24-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Name:  morrari3_opt (1).jpg
Views: 959
Size:  85.0 KB

Found this on the web a while ago

Journeyman Racer
    Well, it was 2011 when I started this thread on here requesting photos and information for the recreation of the Morrari for my Dad, Mark Stokes.

Nearly at mid 2020 and where are we at? Well hot rodding has always been our primary focus but thankfully the Morrari has always been on our radar and is a project I am undertaking at my business GMS Hot Rods.

What has actually happened since 2011 is that we have pretty much exhausted all avenues of research and photo or information requests.

I wrote letters to alot of the magazines - NZ Hot Rod, Petrolhead, NZV8, Classic Car and Classic Driver, we posted here and on Facebook and Instagram.

As you can appreciate we learnt fast that of the people still alive that had information about the car it was sometimes confused or vague or conflicting.

So we have reached a point where we have a reasonable understanding of the car in terms of its chassis and suspension layout and even a vague thought of the interior layout.

Rod Tempero has been very helpful with front suspension pieces so these have been mounted on fixtures at wheel track and ride height on the chassis table and we are currently filling in the gaps in terms of the chassis itself with the 327 Corvette engine also positioned on the table.

A distraction or curveball to the progress has been the addition of another project in Dads stable - the restoration of Road Hog - a shortened and raked Model A sedan built by Ray Carter in the early seventies with a Y-block engine and F5000 style tyres on it.

We must thank alot of people along the Morrari path to date who have showed alot of enthusiasm towards it with ideas, advice and suggestions.

Greg, good to read of progress - just recently Allan Dick reposted part of his NZ Classic Driver story on the Morrari- which generated a bit of response.
    I also saw recently a couple of photos of the car which you may have -it was on the Facebook Page " Old New Zealand Motor Racing ".
    Can find and send them to you if you wish ?

Cheers

Roger

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Greg, good to read of progress - just recently Allan Dick reposted part of his NZ Classic Driver story on the Morrari- which generated a bit of response.
    I also saw recently a couple of photos of the car which you may have -it was on the Facebook Page " Old New Zealand Motor Racing ".
    Can find and send them to you if you wish ?

Cheers

Roger
    Hi Roger,
    Thanks - yes Allan Dick has reprinted that article a couple of times. Its pretty neat to see the positive interest the bastardised car generates.
    Please post the pics here if you dont mind
    Many thanks,
    Greg

Colour photos from Roger Herrick ..

Two Morrari photos - posted by Roger Herrick, unsure if his own photos ** although one has the Date Jan 66 and seems to have come from an album.

Early photo -on the Ferrari's Borrani Wire Wheels
    Photo from Reece Killingback [ Reeceracer ] - it features in an earlier post - from his fathers archives.

Name:  Morrari #7 Souness Borrani Wire wheels and Red colour Roger Herrick .jpg
Views: 735
Size:  106.7 KB

The later photo - marked Jan 1966 ..

Name:  Morrari #6 Souness Wide wheels and Red colour Jan 66 Roger Herrick .jpg
Views: 918
Size:  84.3 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-25-2020 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Photo 1 originl

Journeyman Racer
    Thank you Roger, that Jan 66 pic is the guise the car is being built to. While the car looked handsome and understated with the Borrani wires, the Jan 66 pic evokes the nasty loud hot rod background we come from. Thanks for sharing....

Quote Originally Posted by bill hollingsworth View Post
    Footage at Pukekohe 1966. https://youtu.be/UJQXmIAgEf8
    I see my black A90 in the reverse race. Have just repainted recently purchased A95 so almost road ready