Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Morrari recreation

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I know this is a bit out of place but this was also a NZ Allcomer that I clearly remember accelerating away from the "Elbow Corner" at Pukekohe with smoke pouring from the dual rear wheels. Great memory of a very brave driver, Colin Lumsden.
    I just wondered what became of this behemoth ?
    Thanks Bruce T for the photo.
    Attachment 48467

(Ken H )
    Ha you must have been sitting next to me!!! very clear memory of the tyre smoke. Was that the 1960s?

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Ha you must have been sitting next to me!!! very clear memory of the tyre smoke. Was that the 1960s?
    I saw Lumsden a few times, 65/66 I think. He used duals on the back at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Hi, yes, sort of remember, it was a while ago now, a handicap race from memory, all the corner's sort of tightened up as you were accelerating out of them, seemed all wrong somehow, can remember looking in rear vision mirror after coming out of the hairpin & watching [ I think ] a mk2 zephyr rolling with doors coming open, did not really enjoy that meeting seemed all wrong somehow.
    Found this earlier post which explains what Kevin saw that day-

01-09-2013, 07:02 AM
    Hi Guys, . The extra strengthening on the front wheels was done as the drivers side rim collapsed at the very end of the back straight at Pukekohe. Ken was driving, thats him with the dark shirt having a fag to calm his nerves. This meeting was a reverse course, the powers thought it might be a good idea to have a race meeting reverse direction.
    Colin

Journeyman Racer
    Happy New Year to all on here. 2018 is a big year for us and the Morrari recreation and we look forward to keeping this thread going with updates. And as always we are always looking for photos and recollections of the original Morrari

Journeyman Racer
    The transaxle is all jigged up and mounted on the Morrari specific chassis table. Centred and wheelbase marked out so things are progressing....

Greg is having trouble posting photos.
    Here you go first of many i hope. She is on the way, this is going to be good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Its happening............YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's one from Puke my Dad took back in the day.Converted from a slide. Another to add to the collection...Reece Killingback.

Name:  062.JPG
Views: 1345
Size:  113.6 KB

That's an early photo of it, before it bashed about too much. Should be a good reference one for Greg.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeceracer View Post
    Here's one from Puke my Dad took back in the day.Converted from a slide. Another to add to the collection...Reece Killingback.

Reece,
    Many thanks that's an excellent shot which shows clearly at least the color of the rear tin work from the rear seat area - this gives us a big starting point to how the inside of the car may look.
    Thanks,
    Greg

Journeyman Racer

Thanks Reece that's an excellent reference for us on the rear sheetmetal inside the car
    Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stokes View Post
    Reece,
    Many thanks that's an excellent shot which shows clearly at least the color of the rear tin work from the rear seat area - this gives us a big starting point to how the inside of the car may look.
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg are you going down the " Early " Morrari path, with Borrani Wire Wheels, or the later Flares and wide Steel Wheels ???

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Greg are you going down the " Early " Morrari path, with Borrani Wire Wheels, or the later Flares and wide Steel Wheels ???
    Hi Roger,

The guise this car will be recreated to is when the widened 15" Merc rims were fitted with Firestone rubber and the exhaust stacks came thru the hood, the car was numbered 172 and still red.

Thanks,

Greg

Wow, that's a beautiful photo, one of the best I've seen of this car.

Set of Borrani wires for sale on trade me recently. Not cheap but try and find a set of these in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, that's a beautiful photo, one of the best I've seen of this car.
    Hi Steve, Yep it's amazing what quality the old slides have, I've got some fantastic ones of Red Dawson (dad was a mate of his), Graham Hill, Jim Palmer, etc from that era, all never before seen, which I'm am looking forward to posting on this site when I can figure out the best way of doing it.......any guidance appreciated...Cheers, Reece.

Greg, I have come across a guy who is making the correct sized tubing for Ferraris! He was bemoaning that it was near impossible to find the right size, then came across all the dies and machinery to make it, so he bought them, as you do!

...all never before seen, which I'm am looking forward to posting on this site when I can figure out the best way of doing it.......any guidance appreciated.
    What guidance do you need Reece? You obviously posted one good one from a slide. How did you manage that?

Send me a PM. Quality of branded slide film was generally very good indeed and if they have been stored properly, (ie out of direct light), they retain the colour. Even if the colour isn't perfect, it often isn't too difficult to improve it and it requires no specific skills.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    What guidance do you need Reece? You obviously posted one good one from a slide. How did you manage that?

Send me a PM. Quality of branded slide film was generally very good indeed and if they have been stored properly, (ie out of direct light), they retain the colour. Even if the colour isn't perfect, it often isn't too difficult to improve it and it requires no specific skills.
    I think I've figured it out..I just had an issue sizing the last slide down so the site would accept it..just took a while for a novice....