Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Morrari recreation

I only just noticed the writing above the windscreen. Does that say "The Monster"?

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I only just noticed the writing above the windscreen. Does that say "The Monster"?
    Yep! We picked up on that early on. Must have been cos it was quite a Monster to drive......

Yeah, I'd say so. A real butt-clencher!

Journeyman Racer
    It seems that many people have very fond memories of the All Comers class of racing. The more people that have found out about the Morrari recreation have given all interesting recounts of the memories they hold of the loud, fast and twitchy little car. Also been very good to hear from a few members of the Garth Souness family that have shown their support of the recreation......

There was a mention made in an earlier post about the Ferrari chassis being cut down to fit the Morris body.
    A Morris Minor had an 86" wheelbase and the Super Squalo Ferrari an 85.1" wheelbase, so no need for a chassis shorten, in fact IIRC the reason the Minor body was chosen was because it was a near perfect match for the Ferrari chassis.

Yes that was my belief ,I can remember something about them looking around at cars that fitted the wheel base ,its too long ago now but from memory the front wheels actually sat to the front of the front guards, maybe something to do with how they fitted the chassis under the body

Journeyman Racer
    Hi, great thread, good luck with the build. I never saw it but certainly heard a lot about it. I read in a British magazine a while ago that Ferrari has re-opened it's archives. You may be able to get drawings of the chassis through them. Don't know that I would mention the
    Chev V8 and the Morrie body, they might be funny about that sort of carry on!

Journeyman Racer
    Hi guys, thanks for all your input. Next big issue to sort out is the rear end. The Ferrari transaxle would not be a financially feasible option so need to come up with something that would be accepted within the historic racing eligibility.

What racing can a replica of a great racing car compete in NZ ,would it be limited to regularity , demos ,sprint, and hillclimbs , which is plenty of oppertunitys to use the car i guess

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stokes View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for all your input. Next big issue to sort out is the rear end. The Ferrari transaxle would not be a financially feasible option so need to come up with something that would be accepted within the historic racing eligibility.
    Do some research on '' McKee '' Transaxle via google if you want some transaxle ideas that would 'fit' the time frame and power rating.

Quote Originally Posted by 105angria View Post
    What racing can a replica of a great racing car compete in NZ ,would it be limited to regularity , demos ,sprint, and hillclimbs , which is plenty of oppertunitys to use the car i guess
    It is possible that the car could be built to comply with MSNZ Schedule K regulations which would enable it to be run (raced) at the likes of the Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon Festival. I have had discussions with a MSNZ Historic Commission member and if it is not possible to built an exact replica under Schedule CR it may be possible to fit it under the Retrospective Special category. The main thing is to use components that would have been available in the period the car is meant to represent - for example, if four pot callipers weren't generally available in the period the Morrari ran then you can't put on four (or six) pot Wilwoods now.
    I have emailed Greg and I'm happy to meet with him and someone from MSNZ to try and sort out a way through the regulations before they embark on work that could unfortunately limited the opportunities to use the car.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    It is possible that the car could be built to comply with MSNZ Schedule K regulations which would enable it to be run (raced) at the likes of the Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon Festival. I have had discussions with a MSNZ Historic Commission member and if it is not possible to built an exact replica under Schedule CR it may be possible to fit it under the Retrospective Special category. The main thing is to use components that would have been available in the period the car is meant to represent - for example, if four pot callipers weren't generally available in the period the Morrari ran then you can't put on four (or six) pot Wilwoods now.
    I have emailed Greg and I'm happy to meet with him and someone from MSNZ to try and sort out a way through the regulations before they embark on work that could unfortunately limited the opportunities to use the car.
    Hi mate, we look forward to catching up with you and someone from MSNZ - we really appreciate that. I was sick with the flu for two weeks so just in catch up mode and we just want to get a few other things sorted before we catch up. Thanks again.

Read in the May copy of NZ Classic Car that Gary Pederson of Pederson Sheen Racing had some input to the Morrari suspension. Gary also indicated that Glen Jones had some input to the build that was completed in his parents basement. Maybe they can assist in your build.

45DCOE, check the thread on Glen Jones, he was a hard case.

I was sent this photo today, no idea of the original source. It looks like the same grid as a photo on P1.

Thats very similar to the one I found recently ,in it you can see the whel/hub adaptors much more clearly

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stokes View Post
    Gerard thanks for the ph number and Roger thanks for the photos, and David great comments - in fact I am humbled by the response on here its been great. The knowledge and memories are do good.
    Here is a pic of the donor car taken on the weekend.

Today Dad met with Graham Addis who remembers alot about the car and remembers making the 15x8 and 15x10 steel wheels and has offered to make the wheels for Dad. Its all going so well.
    Hi, a newbie here...

I've read about the Morrari before and its great that you're trying to recreate one - but PLEASE don't chop up that lowlight!

Look at the pictures - the Morrari WASN'T based on a low-light Morris saloon! You can tell because the Morrari has a 'swage line', a body moulding, running from the back edge of the rear side windows, from side to side, below the back window. The early Morris saloons, like the yellow one you have there, DIDN'T have that. For some reason, after 1950 when they raised the headlamps onto the top of the wings, they altered the rear edge of the roof panel to have this moulding to separate the roof from the body tub. I hope this makes sense!

Racers in the 50's and 60's used to retro fit the low lamp wings to aid aerodynamics. The Morrari was a 1950-53 saloon - it has the swage line I mention above and also had the early bonnet shut line which changed in the 50's - the later cars had a bonnet that reached right back to the base of the screen and the window gutters.

Please don't chop up a very rare early survivor!

Here's a view of the proper roof/boot area on a low light:

And here's a close up of a later saloon with the sausage-like moulding below the window:

The Morrari looks to be made using the later type of shell.

World Champion
    Nuffield, I've just had a brilliant idea. You find a suitable body for Greg to turn into the Morrari, do a swap, and you can restore the very early yellow-peril sitting in Gregs garage! You are obviously a Morris man by your thread name.

Quote Originally Posted by nuffield View Post
    Hi, a newbie here...

I've read about the Morrari before and its great that you're trying to recreate one - but PLEASE don't chop up that lowlight!

Look at the pictures - the Morrari WASN'T based on a low-light Morris saloon! You can tell because the Morrari has a 'swage line', a body moulding, running from the back edge of the rear side windows, from side to side, below the back window. The early Morris saloons, like the yellow one you have there, DIDN'T have that. For some reason, after 1950 when they raised the headlamps onto the top of the wings, they altered the rear edge of the roof panel to have this moulding to separate the roof from the body tub. I hope this makes sense!

Racers in the 50's and 60's used to retro fit the low lamp wings to aid aerodynamics. The Morrari was a 1950-53 saloon - it has the swage line I mention above and also had the early bonnet shut line which changed in the 50's - the later cars had a bonnet that reached right back to the base of the screen and the window gutters.

Please don't chop up a very rare early survivor!
    Sheesh! Well spotted nuffield. Its so obvious now you've pointed it out. That car only had a low-light nose. Well that is amazing! For all these years every magazine article that ever described this car, even when it was first built, named it a low-light Morris Minor. The knowledge on this forum just astounds.