Thread: Mystery Amon Ferarri 330 P4

Mystery Amon Ferarri 330 P4

a few weeks ago I posted a query re the source of my reference photo for my 330 P4 artwork.
    With the help of bry3500 (I think) and the ferrari forum it was tracked down to a test drive at the 1967 Le Mans.

But it kept niggling at me as i knew I mustve had that pic somewhere in my hoard of old magazines and yesterday I found it. Its from an Autosport magazine. December 24/31 1981, 31 years ago!!!!

But it was a great opportunity to correspond with Chris and I lucked out in that both he and Eoin Young accepted prints of my artwork and Chris signed and returned the original as well. Definitely worth the effort.

Ive attached the cover of the mag and the picture page. It was actually a 5 page article but probably too boring to post all the pages.

Name:  small pic 1.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  105.2 KBName:  small pic 2.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  106.6 KB

That bottom pic doesn'took like Le Mans, in fact carrying a number like 224 is much more likely to be a Targa Florio entry... any more info, Fam ?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    That bottom pic doesn'took like Le Mans, in fact carrying a number like 224 is much more likely to be a Targa Florio entry... any more info, Fam ?
    There are 2 pictures of the Ferrari #224 in Automobile Year #15 (1967-68). It was to be driven in the 1967 Targa Florio by Nino Vaccarella and Ludovico Scarfiotti, but after Vaccarella had led on lap 1 (or did the fastest lap - cars were started at ?20 sec intervals) he broke 2 weeels on the car by hitting a wall (which was painted with "Viva Nino + Lulu" or similar slogan) and had to retire. I don't know where Chris Amon fits in as he wasn't a starter. The pictures show the "before" and "after" state of the car.

Stu
    Last edited by stubuchanan; 09-05-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: finger trouble

Thanks, Wen.....er, I mean Stu !

World Champion
    Good to see you finally found that magazine faminz..if anyone is interested in the ferrari chat forum thread on that pic - here it is
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=377833

The article is simply about the Ferrari P4 so there are quite a few pics of various P4's. But these are the only 2 in colour.
    The bottom picture is captioned as: Ferrari sent just one roadster bodied 330P4 to the 1967 Targa Florio for Nino Vaccarella and Ludovico Scarfiotti. The sicilian hero, Vaccarella (pictured) crashed while leading.
    the inset shows one of the three works cars at the 1967 Le Mans with Chris Amon at the wheel.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Thanks, Wen.....er, I mean Stu !
    Damn! My cover is blown!
    As my late father-in-law used to say, call me what you like, as long as you call me for dinner.

Stu from Wenoopy