Thread: Article: The Dennis Leech Boss 429 Mustang

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  calliope-head1.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  14.5 KBName:  nineweb.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  8.6 KB4valve per cylinder Boss 429? never seen a pic of that animal, sure your not getting that mixed with whats known as the 'Boss9' recently reproduced by John Kaase & crew?
    After a bit of research I would suggest that it might have been a 'Calliope' motor that was fitted, these shared the 429 bore stroke etc, were 3 valve per cyl with a forked rocker for each pair of intakes, Two camshafts in block, one above other with top cam servicing exhaust rockers.
    HP ex HM was in the order of 630, same engine spent time in the G7A sports cars , calliope pic on left, boss9 on right.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 09-16-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Name:  calliope-head1.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  14.5 KBName:  nineweb.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  8.6 KB4valve per cylinder Boss 429? never seen a pic of that animal, sure your not getting that mixed with whats known as the 'Boss9' recently reproduced by John Kaase & crew?
    After a bit of research I would suggest that it might have been a 'Calliope' motor that was fitted, these shared the 429 bore stroke etc, were 3 valve per cyl with a forked rocker for each pair of intakes, Two camshafts in block, one above other with top cam servicing exhaust rockers.
    HP ex HM was in the order of 630, same engine spent time in the G7A sports cars , calliope pic on left, boss9 on right.
    I always thought the Gurney-Weslake heads were still 2 valve but had a very much better breathing design and were lighter.
    Also thought only for 302 and 351 Fords. Have I been wrong?

Where did you get the engine pic from? Just curious, it happens to be my hand in the photo!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by psychospence View Post
    Where did you get the engine pic from? Just curious, it happens to be my hand in the photo!!
    Pic was among a few emailed to me by one of the previous UK owners, now if you can remember where & when it might have been taken & any story behind how/why the carb is removed & the somewhat unkempt engine bay appearance ( possibly carb fire/extinguisher residue?) I will pass that on to him. I dont think the pic was taken during his ownership.