Thread: Lotus 7 Alfa Romeo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great that you are getting the history file for your Lotus7 Alfa.
    I am sure that you will have a lot of fun with a well known car.

Weekend Warrior

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    Great that you are getting the history file for your Lotus7 Alfa.
    I am sure that you will have a lot of fun with a well known car.
    Yes, I certainly hope so!
    I've got the history file now, which raises as many questions as it answers The chassis number shows the car is an early Caterham, which is straightforward enough. It was registered in New Zealand as a 1974 Lotus Super 7 in 1975 (with 300 miles on the clock), with a note that it was previously registered in the UK. It had a 1498cc engine in 1977 and 1983 but a 1968cc engine (presumably the Alfa one) in 1994. There's no clue in the history as to exactly when, or why, the engine was changed, or which engine it was. There are various racing programmes (including Pukekohe March 1983 - when it is shown as 1498cc - and Wigram February 1994 - when it is shown as 1962cc) included in the file, all of which show it as a 1968 Lotus (Super) 7. So it looks as though I have a bit of research to do On the plus side, I have addresses for the previous owners - as long as they haven't moved! It also looks as though the most recent UK owner has spent a lot of money on it, including replacing the Alfa engine with another one and putting a "proper" bulge in the bonnet. Plenty of work to do while the car makes its way to me