Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Goodwood Revival

Dale, it will blow you away.
    Make sure you take plenty of cards for your camera and if you can, spend all three days there. I have only ever managed the Friday practice day (twice) and half of a Saturday (once).
    Paddock entry is restricted to Goodwood Racing Club members and limited others (press etc) and collar and tie is mandatory, even if you are not in period gear.
    Gates don't open until 7:30am on the Frday but there is so much to see that you cannot possibly do it justice in one day.
    Note just how close the spectators are to the track and the lack of catch fencing, which makes this a viewing experience like no other.
    Both times I have visited I had to leave early and one day I have promised myself I will go on my own without having to consider the needs of other people who are not real enthusiasts.

Great photographs and very interesting to see the Cooper Bristol wearing mudguards for the sports car race! The bronze C type Jaguar following it was once raced by Fangio and easily won the sports car race at this year's historic Monaco meeting, driven with great verve and sounding glorious.

Is Sir Stirling in the birdcage Maserati?

Nice piece and good pics in today's Auckland Herald, motoring section too.

This event should be on every enthusiast's bucket list.
    Last edited by ERC; 09-22-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Yes thats correct Ray, Stirling in the Maserati, and Dan Gurney riding shotgun in the Ferrari.

Name:  25033_0_2_photo_GRM12js_0261.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  90.0 KB

The last photo in the above post is just magic. Note the flag has only just been dropped and the Daytona is just lighting up the rear bags. Too bad these photos don't have sound.

Wonderful pictures Steve. Unfortunately my camera was picked up accidently by Jay, and is now on it's way back to me from Canada. I will post a few when it arrives. Jays second place gave me the oportunity to drive the car on the victory lap. 2 laps of Goodwood in 2 years, I should retire but I'll go again next year, it is too good to miss.

Wow, just fantastic Wal! I assume you would have spent plenty of time there back in the '60s. How does the place compare now? Looking forward to seeing those pics.

Time for some more. Love these Cobra photos, these guys are really hustling these things along:

Name:  25109_0_2_photo_GRM12js_1007.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  25110_0_2_photo_GRM12js_1013.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  25111_0_2_photo_GRM12js_1069.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  25112_0_2_photo_GRM12js_1085.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  62.6 KB

50 years ago this year and we have John Cooper, Ken Tyrrell, and John Combs in the paddock.
    I think they have done a superb job in the presentation of the track. The polystyrene chicane is an improvement to the original brick walls that were there, but they don't get the same respect.
    The problem is that it is becoming more crowded and I noticed an increase in spectators over last year, making it hard to work your way around the place. I heard that there was 138k through the gates for Saturday/Sunday.
    The gates were opened at 7.30 each morning and I made the effort to be there then. It gave an hour or so to look around before the masses arrived.
    Goodwood was McLarens test track during the 60's and early 70's and we were there on a regular basis. Great memories.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Intrigued as to why Sir Jackie was driving the Porsche? Maybe at Dan Gurney's invitation?

Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    50 years ago this year and we have John Cooper, Ken Tyrrell, and John Combs in the paddock.
    I think they have done a superb job in the presentation of the track. The polystyrene chicane is an improvement to the original brick walls that were there, but they don't get the same respect.
    The problem is that it is becoming more crowded and I noticed an increase in spectators over last year, making it hard to work your way around the place. I heard that there was 138k through the gates for Saturday/Sunday.
    The gates were opened at 7.30 each morning and I made the effort to be there then. It gave an hour or so to look around before the masses arrived.
    Goodwood was McLarens test track during the 60's and early 70's and we were there on a regular basis. Great memories.
    WOW Wal, that would be a promotors/track owners dream here in NZ wouldn't it!! be great to see at least a reasonable paying crowd at next years Denny Hulme!! do you get noticed yourself Wal, been an original McLaren mechanic?

As i was just at Monterey myself recently with Cobra as the Marque, there's not much in the USA next year high on my interest list so will seriously look at Goodwood for next year!! any tips appreciated(and thanks Ray)

Dale M

I can't make it next year, but 2014 is a possibility. Maybe we should set up an informal Kiwi travel group to include a few more things the UK can offer?

Donington museum was always my local favourite since the day it opened and I have a soft spot for the race track too, as my dear old dad was a newspaper photographer pre-war and took some stunning pics. I was involved in the reopening of the track, May 1977 and I think I won my class in the first sprint to be held there.

The McLaren Trust group visited Brooklands this year and there is always the Beaulieu Motor Museum and many more places of interest scattered around the old country.

Several race tracks around too, putting on a huge variety of events.

Note: No front bumpers on the Minis...
    Last edited by ERC; 09-23-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    Thanks Wal, that is fantastic. Beautiful photo! If it brought back great memories, they must be doing something right. Most other tracks that were functioning in the '60s and have constantly evolved over time would be barely recognisable now. 130,000 punters! Thats amazing.

Thursday is set up day for most of the entrants - the transporters that bring these 'toys' to the track far and above surpass any 'Team' transporter in the 60's. Thursday afternoon there is a cricket match on the lawn of Charles's house. Open to the public, drivers and notables form a couple of sides and have a game. This year Doug Nye was occupying the roll of wicket keeper and copped a bouncer just above his eye, and as a consquence had a great blackeye for the weekend.
    This photo I took last year, could well have been this year. It's not the game but the atmosphere that makes it worth a visit. If you are lucky enough to have the right pass there are drinks and nibles in a marque at the match, and 'cocktails' up at the house in the evening.
    Attached Images Attached Images