Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Goodwood Revival

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    The last photo in the above post is just magic. Note the flag has only just been dropped and the Daytona is just lighting up the rear bags. Too bad these photos don't have sound.
    Wind the volume up to max - glorious music

Amazing video Bry. You can see its a real old-school race track, fast and with little run-off area. And man, doesn't that Ferrari just sound beautiful. Those cars really swing around a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    Thursday is set up day for most of the entrants - the transporters that bring these 'toys' to the track far and above surpass any 'Team' transporter in the 60's. Thursday afternoon there is a cricket match on the lawn of Charles's house. Open to the public, drivers and notables form a couple of sides and have a game. This year Doug Nye was occupying the roll of wicket keeper and copped a bouncer just above his eye, and as a consquence had a great blackeye for the weekend.
    This photo I took last year, could well have been this year. It's not the game but the atmosphere that makes it worth a visit. If you are lucky enough to have the right pass there are drinks and nibles in a marque at the match, and 'cocktails' up at the house in the evening.
    Brilliant story Wal. I assume the modern transporters are only allowed in the paddock at certain times during the event?

Wal,
    I imagine Goodwood holds some bitter sweet memories for you because of Bruce's accident.

The circuit stopped being used for races in the late '60s because they needed to upgrade the some safety aspects and because of noise complaints from the neighbouring housing estate. I understand the previous Lord March had gifted the land for the housing estate after WW2 and to placate those grateful souls a limit on the number of days it could be used was imposed.

We used the circuit occassionally for testing during the '70s and it was pretty run down then although as I recall the actual track surface was pretty good. I remember shaking down the Lyncar there and being very aware of the earth banks that were there and the lack of any markers making learning the track really hard.

Looking at the set up for both the Revival and FOS now you would never guess how derelict it had become.

I think that the Earl of March is a very good operator, and he is very much 'hands on' as far as the running of the operation.
    During the Event there is nothing allowed inside the track that is post 1966, that includes bicyles and whatever. The spirit with which the public get involved is amazing, and it is one of the few race mettings I've been to where the women/wives/partners want to go to - because they can get all 'costumed' up.

Another from last year as I await my camera. The dog looked a bit stuffed, I guess it was because it was dragged around all day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Definitely my favourite event... had the privilege of attending the event 2004-2008 whilst I was living over there. Thank you to all who supplied images that allowed me to reminisce about the good times I had when I was there and hope to do again in the foreseeable future.

Loved the clip from inside the Ferrari in the TT race... and really impressed with the speed at which the Light-weight E-Type caught up to the Ferrari after being off the circuit, just half a lap before.

BTW Steve... if you set up a special section for past Goodwood Revivals - and Festival of Speeds for that matter - I would be happy to post some of my images as well.

Paul

Talking about girls liking to dress up and loving their motor racing. Sometimes they get in the road when you are trying to get a photo of an e type

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Amazing video Bry. You can see its a real old-school race track, fast and with little run-off area. And man, doesn't that Ferrari just sound beautiful. Those cars really swing around a lot.
    Yep Steve - great footage, love the steering input, they way the nose comes up under throttle and the sound of the overun coming past the grandstands before the chicane. I listened to this very loud on a great pair of studio quality headphones - the sound of that engine is unreal !

Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    Talking about girls liking to dress up and loving their motor racing. Sometimes they get in the road when you are trying to get a photo of an e type
    Is there a Jaguar in that picture? Wal, I'm impressed your hands weren't shaking when you took that!

Quote Originally Posted by superroo69 View Post
    Definitely my favourite event... had the privilege of attending the event 2004-2008 whilst I was living over there. Thank you to all who supplied images that allowed me to reminisce about the good times I had when I was there and hope to do again in the foreseeable future.

Loved the clip from inside the Ferrari in the TT race... and really impressed with the speed at which the Light-weight E-Type caught up to the Ferrari after being off the circuit, just half a lap before.

BTW Steve... if you set up a special section for past Goodwood Revivals - and Festival of Speeds for that matter - I would be happy to post some of my images as well.

Paul
    Paul, why don't you start a dedicated thread for the FOS and post all your photos up there? That'd be hugely popular. I'd love to see them.

Hi Steve

Happy to start something (I might need help with this part) and put up a small selection... as I'm sure nobody really wants to have to trawl through the many thousands of images I have!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by superroo69 View Post
    Hi Steve

Happy to start something (I might need help with this part) and put up a small selection... as I'm sure nobody really wants to have to trawl through the many thousands of images I have!!! :-)
    I'm happy to help, flick me an email if you need to: enquiries@monsterracewear.co.nz

These are the last of 'em folks.............until 2013:

Name:  25220_0_2_photo_GRM12js_1564.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  25221_0_2_photo_GRM12js_1565.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  25222_0_2_photo_GRM12js_1608.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  65.2 KB

World Champion
    Great Race !!

My camera arrived back today, better late than never.

World Champion
    That Alfa Aerodinamica Spider looks pretty cool
    Great shot of Doug Nye too ...

The joy of being there at 7.30 before the crowds arrive. You can get really up close and personal with the cars, but lets not tell too many people or it will start to get crowded then as well.