Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: custaxie 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

custaxie 2

as we all know the new custaxie is in wanganui, the new owner had the car at manfeild and robbie was there helping out with the driving of the car,the left front wheel let go this is what i was told when i was in wanganui having my first look at the car. its in a workshop having alot of work done on it they are putting falcon stub axles on it big race brakes on the front,and holden brakes on the back 17/11 inch steel wheels all round with 11 inch wide racing slicks on it they have allso put in a new roll cage. i saw the car at manfeild at there last meeting and the car did look good,it did start to go very good at the end of the day, but it was pumping out diff oil all over the inside of the wheels did not look very good at all.it could be the old jag diff not up to it with all the new work that has been done on the car,i do know that on the old car they had trouble with the rear axles,they also have to do a lot of work to set the front end up so it will point right, the driver did a good job when you know what the front end was doing.

Banned
    Not only is it a dead horse but it's such a poor replica that all the mods under the sun won't make it shine. Very, very, sad world we live in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    as we all know the new custaxie is in wanganui, the new owner had the car at manfeild and robbie was there helping out with the driving of the car,the left front wheel let go this is what i was told when i was in wanganui having my first look at the car. its in a workshop having alot of work done on it they are putting falcon stub axles on it big race brakes on the front,and holden brakes on the back 17/11 inch steel wheels all round with 11 inch wide racing slicks on it they have allso put in a new roll cage. i saw the car at manfeild at there last meeting and the car did look good,it did start to go very good at the end of the day, but it was pumping out diff oil all over the inside of the wheels did not look very good at all.it could be the old jag diff not up to it with all the new work that has been done on the car,i do know that on the old car they had trouble with the rear axles,they also have to do a lot of work to set the front end up so it will point right, the driver did a good job when you know what the front end was doing.

well well you again russ cunningham,not a sad world we live in.

Journeyman Racer
    Now living in the USA but certainly a big fan of the Franicivec custaxie as you can see by my collection of photos on this site. Is this an actual replica or is it the original bodyshell? Either way a sounds like an interesting project.Hope it turns out great

no it is not the original bodyshell and it is not an actual replica of the old car,they have used a customline bodyshell but have cut more of the floor away to make it easy to fit the chassis back in ,the paint job is not the same as the old car,the inside of the car is not the same you could say there is a lot that is not like the old car.I had an email come in today from peter urquhart,it said we fitted a jag diff with a limited slip originally but it didnt last ,so we fitted the original diff from the customline back into the car.but if you look at it robbie is the only one who has put his cash up to build one to look like the old car, i was told on friday that the 427 has been rebuilt again in wanganui (more power) so to me there has only been one custaxie built and that is the one that peter urquhart had a hand in back in 1967.

World Champion
    I might be the black sheep in the top pasture here, but the memory of watching Robbie pedalling through the heat haze down the back straight at Wigram when I was very young seems like a distant dream. I was delighted a replica was built, regardless of the finer points

Personally I was delighted when we were told that a replica was on it's way. Then I became disappointed when there were so many differences, apparent even from some distance, then even more so when it resolved into a slanging match about the Custy 2.
    I am now delighted that Custaxie50 has taken his current stand, 2 posts above.
    The sad thing is that it is probably little more than a 2010/11? allcomer saloon with no real place to play, when not a lot more effort, little if any more $ and we would have had an absolute beauty.

thats life old fart you cant get a job done right today.

anyone know when they will be racing again.

There are a lot of people that have never seen this car in its hay day. (the original one that Tony Carilitich and co built) so it was rather great to see the look a like turn up at HD Festival couple years ago. I was lucky enough to see Robbie in this car coming over Rothmans at Pukekohe with one rear wheel smoking the bags in front of Bucanhan ? Ferrari. Later I was lucky enought to be hanging on to the roll cage of it blasting up and down Queen Street in Auckland with a flathead V8 engine. A few years later I blueprinted the original 427 engine out of it and stuffed it into a 63 Ford Compact whilst working for Legend Johnny Windelburn. Colin Praast owned the car then. So Custaxie 50 and Robbie...good on ya's for a bit of recreation that a Legend in it's day and sadly found its way to a tip! Kind Regards, Tony Rutherford.

Any one out there who may know where the 427 is today.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    Any one out there who may know where the 427 is today.
    Don't know what happened to the 63 Compact Fairlane I stuffed the motor into with 4 IDA Webers on a Holman Moody inlet manifold....as shortly after this car was built I moved to Aussie for three years.....However, did Peter ever tell you what he replaced the side oilers for??? You will get a stirring in the loins mate! They got two..not one but two...427 Cammer motors. Now I don't know any other production engine that would be more valueable these days......doubt there would be quite frankly. The "spare" motor was sitting under the bench as the story goes only to be sold for mear flea shit of it's value... to a hot rodder who I believe his it in a front engined dragster? (can anyone shed any light). Hope this answers your question... Regards, Tony Rutherford.

That 427 sohc dragster was still at Southwards museum last time I was there. I walked past with bowed head and spoke in quiet tones which reminds me of a Ye olde quote.
    And thou shalt tremble in fear as the mighty SOHC cometh. Those engines had a 7 foot timing chain and you had to advance the left hand cam a few degrees to make up for the slop in the chain. I saw a gear drive on one at Ron Millers Ford Power Parts in California in 88 and there was more gears than a swiss clock. You could only buy them in a crate from Ford and they were already 680 hp straight out of the box!! As the Tool man would say Oh Oh Oh

Quote Originally Posted by Jizim View Post
    Don't know what happened to the 63 Compact Fairlane I stuffed the motor into with 4 IDA Webers on a Holman Moody inlet manifold....as shortly after this car was built I moved to Aussie for three years.....However, did Peter ever tell you what he replaced the side oilers for??? You will get a stirring in the loins mate! They got two..not one but two...427 Cammer motors. Now I don't know any other production engine that would be more valueable these days......doubt there would be quite frankly. The "spare" motor was sitting under the bench as the story goes only to be sold for mear flea shit of it's value... to a hot rodder who I believe his it in a front engined dragster? (can anyone shed any light). Hope this answers your question... Regards, Tony Rutherford.
    yes it is in a front engined dragster which is in Levin,i understand mr rivers from wanganui last time i saw it start up in the Levin show grounds had just rebuilt this 427-(MORE POWER) ,i think this car may be too old for all this new power.what a great looking motor and the sound of it when they cranked it over,mr rivers allso looks after the 427 top oiler in custaxie 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jizim View Post
    Is this the 63 Fairlane with the 427 would of been one cool car,photo from Ardmore Drags in June 72 NZ Hot Rod Mag.Name:  427 63 Fairlane Compact.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  97.5 KB

Tony, talking with Croydon a while back and we had a laugh about old girl.

"Interesting " description of this car on the Leadfoot site! And these are submitted by the owner with no editting.

Had a look,load of bs.

World Champion
    OK Rod, have cranked up this thread again........

At the Leadfoot, Custaxie 2 was wearing a new set of steel wheels. Apparently they had managed to tear the centres out of the 'old' ones. The new ones looked a bit like Jolly Wide wheels that were around a few years ago, with small triangular cutouts like spokes.

Next she could have MAGS........look pretty cool on them don't you think?

Perhaps instead of calling the car Custaxie, we could call it Custard, then the owner could get together with the Ruhbarb cars and there would be RUHBARB & CUSTARD !!!!!!!!

Banned
    AMCO72, Custaxie Two will always be a sad joke! Maybe Billy Apple might be interested in driving it? or Andrew Blackberry?