Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: custaxie 2

custaxie 2

as we all know the new custaxie is in wanganui, the new owner had the car at manfeild and robbie was there helping out with the driving of the car,the left front wheel let go this is what i was told when i was in wanganui having my first look at the car. its in a workshop having alot of work done on it they are putting falcon stub axles on it big race brakes on the front,and holden brakes on the back 17/11 inch steel wheels all round with 11 inch wide racing slicks on it they have allso put in a new roll cage. i saw the car at manfeild at there last meeting and the car did look good,it did start to go very good at the end of the day, but it was pumping out diff oil all over the inside of the wheels did not look very good at all.it could be the old jag diff not up to it with all the new work that has been done on the car,i do know that on the old car they had trouble with the rear axles,they also have to do a lot of work to set the front end up so it will point right, the driver did a good job when you know what the front end was doing.

Banned
    Not only is it a dead horse but it's such a poor replica that all the mods under the sun won't make it shine. Very, very, sad world we live in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    as we all know the new custaxie is in wanganui, the new owner had the car at manfeild and robbie was there helping out with the driving of the car,the left front wheel let go this is what i was told when i was in wanganui having my first look at the car. its in a workshop having alot of work done on it they are putting falcon stub axles on it big race brakes on the front,and holden brakes on the back 17/11 inch steel wheels all round with 11 inch wide racing slicks on it they have allso put in a new roll cage. i saw the car at manfeild at there last meeting and the car did look good,it did start to go very good at the end of the day, but it was pumping out diff oil all over the inside of the wheels did not look very good at all.it could be the old jag diff not up to it with all the new work that has been done on the car,i do know that on the old car they had trouble with the rear axles,they also have to do a lot of work to set the front end up so it will point right, the driver did a good job when you know what the front end was doing.

well well you again russ cunningham,not a sad world we live in.

Journeyman Racer
    Now living in the USA but certainly a big fan of the Franicivec custaxie as you can see by my collection of photos on this site. Is this an actual replica or is it the original bodyshell? Either way a sounds like an interesting project.Hope it turns out great

no it is not the original bodyshell and it is not an actual replica of the old car,they have used a customline bodyshell but have cut more of the floor away to make it easy to fit the chassis back in ,the paint job is not the same as the old car,the inside of the car is not the same you could say there is a lot that is not like the old car.I had an email come in today from peter urquhart,it said we fitted a jag diff with a limited slip originally but it didnt last ,so we fitted the original diff from the customline back into the car.but if you look at it robbie is the only one who has put his cash up to build one to look like the old car, i was told on friday that the 427 has been rebuilt again in wanganui (more power) so to me there has only been one custaxie built and that is the one that peter urquhart had a hand in back in 1967.

World Champion
    I might be the black sheep in the top pasture here, but the memory of watching Robbie pedalling through the heat haze down the back straight at Wigram when I was very young seems like a distant dream. I was delighted a replica was built, regardless of the finer points

Personally I was delighted when we were told that a replica was on it's way. Then I became disappointed when there were so many differences, apparent even from some distance, then even more so when it resolved into a slanging match about the Custy 2.
    I am now delighted that Custaxie50 has taken his current stand, 2 posts above.
    The sad thing is that it is probably little more than a 2010/11? allcomer saloon with no real place to play, when not a lot more effort, little if any more $ and we would have had an absolute beauty.

thats life old fart you cant get a job done right today.

anyone know when they will be racing again.

There are a lot of people that have never seen this car in its hay day. (the original one that Tony Carilitich and co built) so it was rather great to see the look a like turn up at HD Festival couple years ago. I was lucky enough to see Robbie in this car coming over Rothmans at Pukekohe with one rear wheel smoking the bags in front of Bucanhan ? Ferrari. Later I was lucky enought to be hanging on to the roll cage of it blasting up and down Queen Street in Auckland with a flathead V8 engine. A few years later I blueprinted the original 427 engine out of it and stuffed it into a 63 Ford Compact whilst working for Legend Johnny Windelburn. Colin Praast owned the car then. So Custaxie 50 and Robbie...good on ya's for a bit of recreation that a Legend in it's day and sadly found its way to a tip! Kind Regards, Tony Rutherford.

Tony, talking with Croydon a while back and we had a laugh about old girl.

Any one out there who may know where the 427 is today.

"Interesting " description of this car on the Leadfoot site! And these are submitted by the owner with no editting.

Had a look,load of bs.

World Champion
    OK Rod, have cranked up this thread again........

At the Leadfoot, Custaxie 2 was wearing a new set of steel wheels. Apparently they had managed to tear the centres out of the 'old' ones. The new ones looked a bit like Jolly Wide wheels that were around a few years ago, with small triangular cutouts like spokes.

Next she could have MAGS........look pretty cool on them don't you think?

Perhaps instead of calling the car Custaxie, we could call it Custard, then the owner could get together with the Ruhbarb cars and there would be RUHBARB & CUSTARD !!!!!!!!

Banned
    AMCO72, Custaxie Two will always be a sad joke! Maybe Billy Apple might be interested in driving it? or Andrew Blackberry?

Cut it out, the pear of you...

But they both have a cherry sense of humour.
    Seriously, if you are going to build a replica do that.
    This obviously is not a replica, so is it a tribute?
    If it is a tribute, then no discussion- the car is simply to show people what things looked like at the time.
    The biggest insult is when the tribute tries to be accepted as the real thing or close enough..............
    The joke is when several role up , like HDT and Brocks.
    An authentic car will always be just that- the original real deal.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 03-28-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSS CUNNINGHAM View Post
    AMCO72, Custaxie Two will always be a sad joke! Maybe Billy Apple might be interested in driving it? or Andrew Blackberry?
    The proof is in the pudding.....

World Champion
    Do we really need to do all this 'stirring'.........

The thing is ,that this didn't need to happen. You have to question the new owners motives for trying to convince people that this car is the old girl that raced around in the late 60's, which clearly it isn't. There are too many folk out there that know this. Perhaps as often happens, you start to believe in you own stories. Maybe he is trying to justify the price he paid, but surely he did some research first.
    Im sure the car was not mis-represented by the seller.

The car today looks like the Custaxie, so to many people it IS the Custaxie. There is no other car running round the race tracks that is as ugly, so in that respect it is unique!!! I, and I think most other enthusiasts don't have a problem with it, so long as it is portrayed as Robbies re-creation of his old car, and this of course gives it a bit of provenance....the fact the original builder, built the thing. He knew he was changing certain mechanical and body details but clearly wasn't concerned. He alone knew the problems with the original and set about to rectify them.......why not??? He wasn't expecting to get shot down by all the anoraks.

Then of course it was pumped up by the media for that first appearance at the HD festival. Such is the way that history is made!!!!! It is down there in black and white.
    We WANTED to believe that this was the real thing.......and it almost had us all convinced, then a few FACTS started to emerge.

One thing that adds to the cars CV......it got an invite to the Leadfoot, so clearly Mr Millen , who hand picks all his entries, liked what he saw, and it fitted in well with all the other wild and woolly machines that were there.

What needs to happen is that owner comes on to the RS, and the whole thing debated by us very fair and knowledgable chaps on here........yeh right.