Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: custaxie 2

Yes thats the old girl,look at the size of the wheels that are on it.

Semi-Pro Racer
    One of the problems with old race car drivers, is that they remember what they should have done to a car they raced, not what they did do, and what the hell is a tribute race car? me thinks some people are playing with themselves. I would love to compare that article with what the car was then, and what they rembered and built now, I know of some changes but not all by any means
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Racer Rog View Post
    One of the problems with old race car drivers, is that they remember what they should have done to a car they raced, not what they did do, and what the hell is a tribute race car? me thinks some people are playing with themselves. I would love to compare that article with what the car was then, and what they rembered and built now, I know of some changes but not all by any means
    Roger
    Me thinks you're onto something Roger, whats that saying? "the older i get the faster i WAS" or was it "that's how i built it but i forgot" Hmmm

16X11 wheels? South Island? that figures(now im in for it, LOL) you sure you're not losing it Gerald and got it the other-way around? like the Mini with 11" wheels that are 16" wide? that's all 4 stack together mind you!! and where did i mention HMC or Mussel Kars in anything to do with the Custard-Taxi, come on mate!! i'll send the Doc over to see you tomorrow, LOL

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 04-04-2013 at 09:03 AM.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I believe it was a Triumph powered Anglia Gerald. Didn't Robert Bartley also race a V8 MkIII Cortina in the early '70s? I have a feeling he may have shared the car with speedway racer, and current Palmerston North speedway promoter Bruce Robertson?
    This is a Pic 105Angria uploaded on another thread
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    Dale, I need a Doctor to certify me for posting stuff on this damn RS, cos all that seems to happen is that someone elses opinion is more persuasive than mine..........and that is all that most stuff on this 'Rhubarb and Custard' thread is......opinions.

No, you didn't say anything about mussel [sic] cars when mentioning the 15 inch wheels, but, you made a comment on the wheel size of the Custaxie 2 that they weren't 15", and, you know, I put 2 and 2 together with 15" HMC wheels and............argh, flippin heck, why don't I just shut-up while I'm ahead, or behind!!!!!!!!
    Iv'e got to stop putting 2 and 2 together, cos they always add up to five. My maths teacher would be very disappointed in me!!!!!
    Last edited by AMCO72; 04-04-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling ?

World Champion
    Is that Anglia LHD.........must be my eyes, but it looks like the driver on the left. Surely not. Numbers are the right way round so pic has not been reversed.

Gerald- you still have your eyes, I also make it a lhd fastback Anglia- does that narrow the field down?
    With this grandstand, is this Levin?
    Maybe Milan may have a program........
    Crowd dont seem to be looking at this car, looking at what is happening behind him.Maybe it is THE Custaxie coming ) if pic is late 60s)
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-04-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Racer Rog, What would you like to know about the old car.

World Champion
    John, lets say it is THE Custaxie behind the Anglia........a Triumph powered Anglia in front of THE Custaxie !!!!!! Yeh right. Robbie should have had those big wheels and tyres on it back then, would have made all the difference.

I know when Angus drove Custaxie 2 at Teretonga it was a bit of a handful to get round the corners, and perhaps Mr Bartley found this out......hence the wide rubber. I mean you don't want to go hitting people because your tyres are not up to the job!!!!!!!!!

World Champion
    And while we are on the subject of thread topics.......[from Leadfoot topic]

A little aside popped up in this thread.....the TriAng.......and there has been a little bit of discussion about it, on a thread that is not dedicated to this machine. So what do you do when this happens.......ignore it, or start another thread, which clearly is not going to happen.
    There have lots of asides since roaring season started, and we have found out all sorts of interesting things that we might not otherwise have.
    Yes it is desirable to keep the thread 'pure', but there is too much lateral thinking going on for that to happen.
    Sooner or later a new poster will drag us all back to the theme. You watch!

Oh dear this topic is on the wrong topic, and I cant find the correct topic in the topics list!!!!!!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    I mean you dont want to go hitting people because your tyres are not up to the job!!!!!!!!!!

Yet that would appear to be the rational behind the HMC's rule on running the 'period' Goodyears, so that they can use the excuse that they wobble around a bit on the crossplys in case they actually hit someone ( Like gimme some room in case I hit you)!, sounds like a CYA rule to me. Actually there is a rule somewhere that allows an increase in rim dia of 1" in the classic stuff, not sure whether it pertains in this instance or whatever class the car might run in.

Actually, these tyres have always been used in America for historic racing. Unlike NZ where you are allowed to run taller wheels and different racing tyres over the years ,they have kept the same year after year .,and the reason is that they are very good. I have found them better than the Falken tyres I raced with in the 90s. Have you driven a car with these? Or does your wooden spoon collect dust if not stirred regularly?
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-06-2013 at 12:41 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes its in T & C, but not in schedule K,its a rule that I think should never have happened, and I think we should have adopted the Aussie rules, which a lot of us were unaware of, we certainly would not have some of the problems we now have. As for the Custaxi, I would love to see the full article from that Aussie magazine, and then compare with what is built now, that would really be interesting.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    I mean you dont want to go hitting people because your tyres are not up to the job!!!!!!!!!!

Yet that would appear to be the rational behind the HMC's rule on running the 'period' Goodyears, so that they can use the excuse that they wobble around a bit on the crossplys in case they actually hit someone ( Like gimme some room in case I hit you)!, sounds like a CYA rule to me. Actually there is a rule somewhere that allows an increase in rim dia of 1" in the classic stuff, not sure whether it pertains in this instance or whatever class the car might run in.

Roger- just to confirm what you say- what tyres must I have to qualify for schedule K.-you know the car.
    Must I run them all the time or can I put the goodyears on just for HMC

Semi-Pro Racer
    John, That would depend on how HMC see's it, but would think what it ran in period would be OK, but as far as HMC, I am a little unsure, Dale will know, but that car would not have run big tyres when it was raced, you could see that from the photos you showed us.
    Roger

John, That would depend on how HMC see's it, but would think what it ran in period would be OK, but as far as HMC, I am a little unsure, Dale will know, but that car would not have run big tyres when it was raced, you could see that from the photos you showed us.
    Roger
    Roger, John, this is were some on this forum just don't get what "Historic" and "Classic" racing is all about!! your XA Falcon Coupe John, my Mustang and many other vehicles "of that era" and type that raced back when new(and now in HMC) prior to 12/77 generally used the "Goodyear Blue Streak" race tyre in "Period" so your Falcon John would be Shedule K correct with 15" wheels and Goodyear BS Tyres(providing the rest of the car is), this is just like what Moffat and others ran in the day and theres plenty of pictures as proof. When Fahey imported his 70 Boss Mustang he fitted it with these very Goodyear tyres in 1970(Steve will have pics). And this is exactly what were doing in HMC, creating a "Historic" saloon class under T&C(for more modified vehicles) and Shedule K(for period correct vehicles) so they have somewhere to race without been in the same race as modernised up-spec "cheater type" vehicles but in old body shells with a silhouette look(although this is still OK by me) .

Now, the 12/77 is a deemed FIA historic date for a change in techology but is not a exact line directly draw in the sand but its what we(and other countries) use regardless, many of the Torana hatchs, XC Cobra Falcon started using a "Slick" tyre just prior to this date but this was as group C took over from the Saloon car era!! remember this was modern racing back in the day and when new advancements in technology came along everyone wanted it.

Crunch can correct me if i've not quite got the details correct.

OK, Back to the Custaxi.

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 04-06-2013 at 03:06 AM.

Dale- actually I was discussing the Monaro with Rodger
    Also did you get my pm today?
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-06-2013 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Dale- actually I was discussing the Monaro with Rodger
    Same applies except your Monaro is the actual car!! bit like Nigels ex-Dawson Mustang, etc

Dale M

Yes its in T & C, but not in schedule K,its a rule that I think should never have happened, and I think we should have adopted the Aussie rules, which a lot of us were unaware of, we certainly would not have some of the problems we now have. As for the Custaxi, I would love to see the full article from that Aussie magazine, and then compare with what is built now, that would really be interesting.
    Roger
    What would you like to know about the old car.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    And while we are on the subject of thread topics.......[from Leadfoot topic]

A little aside popped up in this thread.....the TriAng.......and there has been a little bit of discussion about it, on a thread that is not dedicated to this machine. So what do you do when this happens.......ignore it, or start another thread, which clearly is not going to happen.
    There have lots of asides since roaring season started, and we have found out all sorts of interesting things that we might not otherwise have.
    Yes it is desirable to keep the thread 'pure', but there is too much lateral thinking going on for that to happen.
    Sooner or later a new poster will drag us all back to the theme. You watch!

Oh dear this topic is on the wrong topic, and I cant find the correct topic in the topics list!!!!!!!
    Check the "Whatever happened to all the breadvan Anglias" thread, there is info and more pics there