Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: custaxie 2

it just amazes me, all this debating about a car ( me included) when all that is needed is some photos of the old and new then everyone can make up their own mind as to like or dislike. Not a photo of a fastback anglia either, but custaxie 1 and custaxie 2

Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    it just amazes me, all this debating about a car ( me included) when all that is needed is some photos of the old and new then everyone can make up their own mind as to like or dislike. Not a photo of a fastback anglia either, but custaxie 1 and custaxie 2
    There are some photos up here of cus1&2

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    Any one out there who may know where the 427 is today.
    Don't know what happened to the 63 Compact Fairlane I stuffed the motor into with 4 IDA Webers on a Holman Moody inlet manifold....as shortly after this car was built I moved to Aussie for three years.....However, did Peter ever tell you what he replaced the side oilers for??? You will get a stirring in the loins mate! They got two..not one but two...427 Cammer motors. Now I don't know any other production engine that would be more valueable these days......doubt there would be quite frankly. The "spare" motor was sitting under the bench as the story goes only to be sold for mear flea shit of it's value... to a hot rodder who I believe his it in a front engined dragster? (can anyone shed any light). Hope this answers your question... Regards, Tony Rutherford.

That 427 sohc dragster was still at Southwards museum last time I was there. I walked past with bowed head and spoke in quiet tones which reminds me of a Ye olde quote.
    And thou shalt tremble in fear as the mighty SOHC cometh. Those engines had a 7 foot timing chain and you had to advance the left hand cam a few degrees to make up for the slop in the chain. I saw a gear drive on one at Ron Millers Ford Power Parts in California in 88 and there was more gears than a swiss clock. You could only buy them in a crate from Ford and they were already 680 hp straight out of the box!! As the Tool man would say Oh Oh Oh

Hey Curley, what do you think of my new toy? Is that a rocket engine Moe? Yeah it is Larry, Why don't we put you on it and send it to the moon!!! nyuk nyuk nyuk Name:  images 427.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  9.7 KB
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 04-30-2013 at 06:59 AM.

I was at the leadfoot. The Custaxie 2 was worthy of being there for sure, it was cool and interesting. So what if it isn't he original, or a perfect recreation.

I was racing my Almac Cobra. This isn't an exact replica of a Shelby Cobra, it is a 1989 New Zealand built special that resembles a Cobra, but that is about it. It has a Chev motor, Kevlar body, square tube chassis, 17 inch wheels, hill born injection, all things that make it wrong if you say it is real. However..... It is mine, I enjoy it, most people like seeing it out there, and it has a race history of its own now.

I say let people enjoy what they have. I agree that people should be honest about a car being real, original, or a copy, similar too etc, but otherwise, let people enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jizim View Post
    Don't know what happened to the 63 Compact Fairlane I stuffed the motor into with 4 IDA Webers on a Holman Moody inlet manifold....as shortly after this car was built I moved to Aussie for three years.....However, did Peter ever tell you what he replaced the side oilers for??? You will get a stirring in the loins mate! They got two..not one but two...427 Cammer motors. Now I don't know any other production engine that would be more valueable these days......doubt there would be quite frankly. The "spare" motor was sitting under the bench as the story goes only to be sold for mear flea shit of it's value... to a hot rodder who I believe his it in a front engined dragster? (can anyone shed any light). Hope this answers your question... Regards, Tony Rutherford.
    yes it is in a front engined dragster which is in Levin,i understand mr rivers from wanganui last time i saw it start up in the Levin show grounds had just rebuilt this 427-(MORE POWER) ,i think this car may be too old for all this new power.what a great looking motor and the sound of it when they cranked it over,mr rivers allso looks after the 427 top oiler in custaxie 2.

Quote Originally Posted by CobraV8 View Post

I say let people enjoy what they have. I agree that people should be honest about a car being real, original, or a copy, similar too etc, but otherwise, let people enjoy.
    +1

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    +1
    +2

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    +2
    +3 ?

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    yes it is in a front engined dragster which is in Levin,i understand mr rivers from wanganui last time i saw it start up in the Levin show grounds had just rebuilt this 427-(MORE POWER) ,i think this car may be too old for all this new power.what a great looking motor and the sound of it when they cranked it over,mr rivers allso looks after the 427 top oiler in custaxie 2.
    This is the dragster here belonging to Alex Hogg of Levin,there was a article in Petrolhead magazine about this car,he says engine was first imported into NZ to go into a speedboat.Alex got engine in 1975 off a speedway racer in Tauranga.During the mid 80s Alex ran a rear engine dragster with this engine,round about 2005 a front engined dragster frame was built by Kiwi Race Cars formerly Graham Berry Race Cars and over the next 4 years the rest of the car was built.On its first outing 2009 at Masterton Motoplex Test and Tune meeting it ran 8.75 at 151mph.Here are a few pictures i have taken over the years.Name:  427.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  109.5 KBName:  Alex Hogg FED.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  156.6 KBName:  Cammer.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  147.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    This is the dragster here belonging to Alex Hogg of Levin,there was a article in Petrolhead magazine about this car,he says engine was first imported into NZ to go into a speedboat.Alex got engine in 1975 off a speedway racer in Tauranga.During the mid 80s Alex ran a rear engine dragster with this engine,round about 2005 a front engined dragster frame was built by Kiwi Race Cars formerly Graham Berry Race Cars and over the next 4 years the rest of the car was built.On its first outing 2009 at Masterton Motoplex Test and Tune meeting it ran 8.75 at 151mph.Here are a few pictures i have taken over the years.Name:  427.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  109.5 KBName:  Alex Hogg FED.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  156.6 KBName:  Cammer.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  147.1 KB
    Yes thats right what you have said about this motor,the 427 top oiler that they put into the custaxie in 1966 came out of a boat called miss coventry and the motor you see here went into this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jizim View Post
    Is this the 63 Fairlane with the 427 would of been one cool car,photo from Ardmore Drags in June 72 NZ Hot Rod Mag.Name:  427 63 Fairlane Compact.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  97.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 225sloper View Post
    Is this the 63 Fairlane with the 427 would of been one cool car,photo from Ardmore Drags in June 72 NZ Hot Rod Mag.Name:  427 63 Fairlane Compact.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  97.5 KB
    I may have sold him the headers and exhaust from the Custaxie,i do recall going to his work shop to see the roadster he was working on.I would go to the Kopuku drag strip the Custaxie was there,Drag-on-Lady-Gail was there also with her Impala,open face-Helmet,T-Shirt,Shorts,thats the way this Lady did it.As we all know this Lady has passed over not that long ago,very sad to hear,a nice Lady to talk to and full of fun.

This is really great info guys! Keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    +3 ?
    +4

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    +4
    +5

Didn't one of the engines go into Miss Air New Zealand (may have been rename for Miss coventry)

I think it was Miss Air NZ that bit Peters leg (stand to be corrected on all)

And +6

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Didn't one of the engines go into Miss Air New Zealand (may have been rename for Miss coventry)

I think it was Miss Air NZ that bit Peters leg (stand to be corrected on all)

And +6
    If you are talking about Peter Urquart Rod,it was Miss Coventry he was in when it went up side down

Thanks for that, sure bit his leg good.