Thread: Heads-Up: Goodwood Revival On SKY Sport New Zealand

Heads-Up: Goodwood Revival On SKY Sport New Zealand

Hopefully those of you in NZ saw my posting on the Goodwood Revival thread providing details of the Goodwood Revival highlights shown yesterday, and you all recorded it. I say that because the coverage was outstanding.

For those who missed it, there is another screening on Saturday October 10 on Sky Sport 2 at 11.30am.

Thanks for that Steve. Managed to record it. But as it only covered a few events, I wonder if there is another programme due, covering the others?

Watching those guys with the Cobras and E Type Jag giving it 100% was impressive, but so close to the edge that I do fear for the carnage that often happens at Goodwood, with so many professional drivers driving someone else's cars on the limit.

Yes I did wonder that myself Ray, on both counts. The coverage really only shows three races. There are glimpses of some of the other races. Maybe they just picked what they consider to be the most popular races? But the coverage they did show was really impressive.

The racing was quite hectic, which is something this event is renowned for. Goodwood is a fast track, with little run-off on the outside of what are high speed turns almost all the way around. You can see how things can quickly go wrong there. However, you also have to assume car owners are prepared to take that risk, and drivers like-wise, to try and win. I didn't appreciate until watching this footage just how important it is for people to win at this event.

My theory is that relatively speaking many of these cars are the cheapest to rebuild or restore if crashed. If you can build a Tempero quality replica of a 250 GT Ferrari for (say) $1.5 million dollars then that should be around the most you'd spend on a worst-case 'incident' with an original - just hoping that the chassis plate wasn't damaged (but then again plates for many super-rare cars are kept separate during racing or storage). If your (original) GT is worth, conservatively, $15,000,000 then a total rebuild/restoration cost of 10% of the car's value is bloody cheap. If my rebuild estimate is out by 100% you're still laughing. So many of these cars have been rebuilt several times and now the provenance is tied up in the chassis plate rather than any patina of being as raced at LeMans etc.
    Last edited by Paul Wilkinson; 10-11-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Good point Paul, but seeing any of these cars crunched still brings a tear to the eye!

Yes, those are good points Paul, although some of the cars, particularly those in the RAC TT, are one-offs, such as the Lister coupe, Project 212 and 214 Aston Martins etc. But you're right in that body panels and parts can be straightened out and/or replaced if necessary, and the cost to do so is usually only a fraction of the actual value of the car. And lets face it, you don't get to own a Cobra Daytona Coupe from flipping burgers all your life at $12 an hour. I dare say the owners can afford the repair bill, and are happy to take the risk.

Historic racing success in the UK and Europe is such that while a cars historical significance is hugely important and largely dictates its value now, so a cars success in modern day historic racing can also have an impact on its value. You'll see historic racing cars advertised in Motorsport, Classic & Sportscar, etc, in which the cars achievements in modern day historic racing are highlighted, and the high potential that the new owner achieves similar success must appeal to many prospective buyers.

Yes, there is nothing that can't be rebuilt but you are right, seeing cars like that damaged is heart-breaking. However, the thought of a '57 Testa Rossa sitting in a static display forever because of its value is heart-breaking too. That said, there are some examples that you just shouldn't risk with anything more than parade laps - how do you rebuild the patina of an unrestored Mille Miglia or Lemans racer for example? Somewhat paradoxically it is lucky for us that so many resemble George Washington's proverbial axe.

It is fantastic to see them being driven in anger. It sends a chill down your spine that a modern car just can't. Using them as they were designed gives a continued context to their engineering and purpose.
    Last edited by Paul Wilkinson; 10-11-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Steve, your comment about the modern events is spot on. That's why you see 'continuation' models drive so hard by such big names at prestigious events. People are trying to purchase provenance.

Great to see them 'drifting', which is where most modern motorsport loses spectator appeal. Cornering as if on rails might well be the fastest way around the corners, but watching these saloons and GTs drifting through the corners is what it is all about.

Having been to two Revivals, sadly only the Fridays and one Saturday, it is still on my bucket list, but probably on my own so that I don't have to consider anyone else's lack of real enthusiasm for the event!

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Great to see them 'drifting', which is where most modern motorsport loses spectator appeal. Cornering as if on rails might well be the fastest way around the corners, but watching these saloons and GTs drifting through the corners is what it is all about.
    Yes, totally agree re the drifting, and this track lends itself well to very long periods where the cars are in a constant four wheel drift.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Thanks for that Steve. Managed to record it. But as it only covered a few events, I wonder if there is another programme due, covering the others?

Watching those guys with the Cobras and E Type Jag giving it 100% was impressive, but so close to the edge that I do fear for the carnage that often happens at Goodwood, with so many professional drivers driving someone else's cars on the limit.
    You were right Ray. There was another screening today that I recorded on the off-chance it might show more races, and sure enough, it was a completely different episode showing another four races. Its being repeated again tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks Steve.....just amazing and I can't get enough of it. The drifting, well look at the tyres. None of this modern stuff.