Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Euan Sarginson Collection:-

"Looking Back"

Shareing the front row of a Mairehu road race starting grid are Tom Clarks 2.9-litre Maserati and the home-built V8 Special of Frank Shuter, cars typical of he early 'fifties'
    Attached Images Attached Images   

"Looking Back"

The Jaguar-engined Connaught which Englishman Leslie Marr raced in the 1956 Season

a successful driver and now a shrewd racing manager is veteran Reg Parnell

Former motorcyclist Syd Jensen is regarded by many as new Zealands most polished driver.

George Palmer, Jims father and now his manager scored well in this Cooper-Bristol.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-19-2012 at 02:53 AM.

I went to school with Tom Clark's son, whose name escapes me, & one day Tom Clark brought the Maserati to the school and did a blat up the driveway which was probably 400-500 metres long. We were told he did 100MPH. I don't recall the exact year but probably somewhere around '57 or '58.

'Looking Back'

Archie Scott-Brown made light of physical handicaps and drove the powerful Lister-Jaguar with ease.

Lennie Gilbert, skilled conductor of a Cooper-Bristol and 250F Maserati driver in former days, is now a race commentator.

First modern factory-built cars seen here wer the 500cc coopers made popular by such drivers as Arnold Stafford.

Just as happy in a tiny Brooklands Austin 7 or this 4.5 litre Ferrari, Ron Roycroft will go down in nZ history as a great driver.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-19-2012 at 03:03 AM.

"Looking Back'

After more than a decade of consistently steady racing Pat Hoare climaxed his career by winning the 1961-62 Gold Star with his beautifully prepared Ferrari.

Scotsman Ron Flockhart in the 1959 season won the Lady Wigram Trophy with a B.R.M.

Familiar faces from the 1963 season. Notice Winners are grinners.

1st two are Angus Hyslop

Jim Palmer

Stirling Moss

Innes Ireland

Apparently there was a bit of humour about Stirling Moss and his beard and Mr Fidel Castro.

The results
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-20-2012 at 04:05 AM.

The only year i have missing for some reason is 1964, but i will do some looking and see if i can find it. Be good to keep in line and watch the development of both the race car, the tyres, suspensions, looks and shapes of cars and the emergance of name drivers. Word was obviously out in Great Britian, Europe, States and Australia, of a country with lots of sun, scenery, friendly people and competitve fields of drivers and a great place to have a working holiday, as you will see over time the emergance of more and more name drivers, teams and manufacturers. The Tasman Series as it became known was undoubtably a good testing ground for teams for the new European Season.
    Also it shows the kiwi enginuity in building Saloon cars, Sports cars and Single seaters.
    Some of these photos have sure jolted memories in my mind and i hope you all get the same.
    As i said before, alot of us would have seen these years ago, but there are alot out there who have not, so enjoy.

Ok back to scanning and sizing.

Added 16th October 2012; Due to a very kind gesture from Barrie McBride who has leant me the 1964 and 1972 copies we can know sit back and enjoy the full series.
    I have a bit of down scanning and sizing to do so back to it.
    I will add the 1964 edition later after the 1967. Sorry as it would be good to keep them in sequence, but that is the way it is and we are lucky to see all this history.
    Thanks Barrie.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 10-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Ok. 1965 and we will start with the 2 Jims

Jim Clark at NZGP Pukekohe heading to the hill

Jim Clarks Lotus Coventry-Climax on his grid at Wigram. (note the relaxed mechanic, same footwear as one of our better known ones as well)

Jim Clark gives his Lotus Coventry-Climax engine an enquiring look jut before the final New Zealand round of the Tasman series at Tertonga.

National champion Jim Palmer eyes the Repco-Brabham-Coventry-Climax at Wigram while Feo Stanton stands by with can in hand.

World Champion
    These are awesome Rod - thanks for taking the trouble to upload them with great descriptions. I had a play with a couple of pictures to show how easily they could be restored
    Last edited by bry3500; 09-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Hello Myles, I have all these books etc. and thought it would be good for those who have not seen these photos before, and also to jog peoples memories, seems to be working. So asked family, and here we are.

Now is this the phone set up Myles, Caption says ("course clear" The Wigram trophy field waits under starters orders)
    Rod, Correct,it was old Army/Airforce surplus stuff and I know this man !!!but I can't put a name to the face,but he would have been a Canterbury Car Club Member,Quite possibly Mr George Drayton,a friend of my Fathers and Nelson Tillman, this photo is before I was offically 'Debutised'.....sota went like.."Myles you want a job..... (not given time for an answer!!!)..Bloody man the phone at the startline,stay alert and don't stuff up"!!!!.....................I'll get around to that time I had my arse kicked and Jack Nazer (and the whole field!!) did an extra lap !!!!!!!!!....MJ

Amazing work Rod, your scanner must be running red-hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Amazing work Rod, your scanner must be running red-hot!
    I think the scanner is happy that I am back at work as have had couple days at home with blocked nose and head etc. The resizing is the time consumer, but all good.

Bry, you are a bit younger and more computor savvy than me, (not as good looking, but thats another thing) I will have a tickle and see if I can upgrade but have a few to do so might have to keep on pluggging on.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    I think the scanner is happy that I am back at work as have had couple days at home with blocked nose and head etc. The resizing is the time consumer, but all good.

Bry, you are a bit younger and more computor savvy than me, (not as good looking, but thats another thing) I will have a tickle and see if I can upgrade but have a few to do so might have to keep on pluggging on.
    sent you a PM Rod..

NZ Grand Prix Pukekohe Jim Clark(Lotus-Climax) leads Bruce McLaren (2.5 Cooper-Climax) Mclaren hit the back of Clark on lap 2 and put clark out with gearbox damage and then McLarens gear box failed on lap 13.

Jim Palmer first resident in the Repco-Brabham-Climax) has full flow cocpit ventilation.

Graham Hill won GP in the Scuderia Veloce Repco-Brabham-Climax.

More NZGP

McLaren showing evidence of tagging Clark has just lapped Andy Buchanans Lotus-Ford early in race as he retired on lap 13.

Leo Geoghegan in his 1.5 Lotus-Ford finished a creditable 6th in his only NZ appearance.

Frank Gardner finished 2nd in the Alec Mildren Repco-Brabham.

Phil Hill in the Bruce Mclaren Motor Racing Cooper checking out the grass at end of back straight in practice.

Jim Clark on the pit wall and Team Lotus boss Colin Chapman sitting on rear wheel, and faces of crew tell a story.

Levin International Trophy 1965

Seconds before start and Jim Palmer, Kerry Grant and Frank Gardner are at the ready.

Jim Clark takes the flag and win.

Clark leads from the start with Kerry Grant and Phil Hill following.

Frank Gardner stirs up the cement dust on his way to second place in the Repco-Brabham.

More Levin action.

A common sight then and still today, a gear bag in pieces so we can just get that little bit more out of that tight corner. This is the Mildren Repco-Brabham.

Love this angle shot of Jim Clark, this was a familiar view for competitors as well. note the stagger in the rear to front wheel size and the width of the tyres compared to the year before.

Roly Levis (1.5 Brabham-Ford) on the inside with Bruce McLaren in the 2.5 Cooper going around the long way.

Kerry Grant out of Cabbage Tree bend in the Lesco Racings Brabham had the crowd exicted as he ran second to Jim Clark for mearly 10 laps.

Stunning! What year do the Shell Annuals go to Rod?