Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Euan Sarginson Collection:-

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Rod. I only have them until 1968, plus one for 1971, so will be looking forward to seeing the ones that fill in the gaps. You must have a bloody good scanner, these are coming out really clear.
    The 71 is a bit different with Euan suffering from a Cooper S accident, more later.
    The 72 one is actually done by some one else and is mainly drawings and a few photos, will tackle that when we get there.

Semi-Pro Racer
    1972 was the last of the traditional Greenslade/Sarginson series - don't have any drawings in my copy...
    Robin Curtis then did another in, I think, 1974

The book you refer to with the drawings is Tasman 72 put out by Organ Bros. The drawings were by Michael J. Nidd and the photos by Terry Marshall.

The Robin Curtis book covers the 1972-73 season

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    1972 was the last of the traditional Greenslade/Sarginson series - don't have any drawings in my copy...
    Robin Curtis then did another in, I think, 1974
    Sorry David should have mentioned I do not have 72 of Sarginson/Greenslade, but Tasman 72 an insight by Michael Nidd and Terry Marshall thats the drawing one. Be interesting to see the last Sarginson/Greenslade one in 72 as they show the development in car and competitor year by year.
    I think the photography is amazing for the time it was done. I notice that Euan has some great facial shots and expressions.
    I hope to have another look at my mums at some time when i am down there, as i think there are some more bits still there.

Been loading up next couple of years so more shortly.

World Champion
    My father has that last one Rod, send him a private message he may loan it

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'd completely forgotten the Marshall/Nidd one, though I'm sure I had it (at one time...)

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    My father has that last one Rod, send him a private message he may loan it
    Can you email me contact please.
    grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

Cheers

Ok onto 1966: The year of the Scots.

First photo is of start of Lady Wigram race with the B.R.M.s of, on far side Jackie Stewart with Richard attwood in side of him with the nose of Jim Clarks Lotus and Frank Gardners yellow nosed Brabham following.

Jackie Stewart takes time off to show his car and make friends with the children Christchurch Childrens Hospital.

Born in Sheffield of Scottish parents, 24 year old Bill Caldwell spent 15 years in New Zealand. A friendly young man, he lived for motor racing until it claimed his life when his Brabham- Ford crashed in the Teretonga International on 29th January 1966.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 10-01-2012 at 08:29 AM.

A fateful start ended the chances of Jim Clark (2.5 Lotus-Climax), Frank Gardner (2.5 Brabham-Climax) and Andrew Buchanan (2.5 Brabham-Climax) when Clark stripped first gear at flagfull and Buchanan in the third row iniataed a telescopic collison which eliminated himself and Gardner. Clark, push started, chased for six laps then retired with a broken gearbox.

Amid a cloud of rubber from spinning tyres Jim Clarks upraised arm signalled that all was not well in the Lotus at the start.

Frank Gardners broken Brabham was wheeled to the side as lotus mechanics give Clark a push-start and officials cluster around Andrew Buchanans battered Brabham

Graham Hills expression of confidence before the GP

Spencer Martin (2.5 Brabham-Climax) leads Graham Hill (B.R.M.) Jackie Stewart (B.R.M.) and Jim Palmer (2.5 Lotus-Climax) on the outside, first time into the elbow. The lead over Hill was short lived.

Hill Clips the edge with his B.R.M. on his way to winning the Grand Prix.

Hill takes the winning flag for his second succesive year.

Dunlops Vic Barlow takes tyre temperature while assistant Bob Fulton, driver Hill, Dennis Marwood and Shells Owen Steel, look on.

New Zealand 1.5-litre champion Roly Levis had a good tussle with Leo Geoghegan until he spun his Brabham-Ford late in the race, letting the Aussie Lotus 32 driver through for 5th.

First New Zealand resident driver Jim Palmer home for 3rd succesive year, a sick and exhausted Jim Palmer is helped from his Lotus.

Results

1965 Tasman champion Jim Clark notched his only placing, a lucky 2nd with the lotus-Climax at Levin

Englishman Richard Attwood drove his b.R.M. steadily in second place most of the race and had the race to himself once Frank Gardner's Brabham gave up in the second to last lap.

Roly Levis drove like the champion he is to be first New Zealander home and 4th overall at Levin

Gardner leads the B.R.M.s of Attwood and Stewart from the start and they could nothing about it until he stopped with 2 laps to the fininsh.

Jim Clark had the Lotus flying at Levin and hammered away at Jackie Stewart who dropped out on the 11th lap.

Roly Levis could just about see the whites of Ian (Red) Dawsons eyes as they battled infront of a close Ken Sager and Dene Hollier.

Result

Jackie Stewart pulled out all the stops to record new race and lap records with the B.R.M. in the Lady Wigram Trophy race.

Comfortably in second place, Richard Attwood set up his B.R.M. in an impressive drift each time he went through the fast Bomb-Bay Bend.

Frank Gardner in his brakeless Brabham casts a rueful look over his shoulder at Clark and his crippled Lotus following the fateful 4th lap tangle at the hairpin. Clark had been closly hustling Stewart with Gardner in behind when Gardners brakes went and he could not miss Clark.

The bump at the entrance to the Loop provided some spectacular low flying.
    Here Frank Gardner is the test pilot.

Jim Palmer in the ex Clark lotus headed Stewart and Gardner throught the first turn.

Martin headed Palmer through to lap 27, but the Kiwi had the Aussie;s measure all the way and made the Lotus one up when the Brabham spun.

The Loop bump and Stewart taking off.

And Palmer touching down.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 10-01-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Jackie Stewart drinks the winners champagne.

Results

With a Levin win and a second at Wigram, b.R.M. driver Richard Attwood had reason to smile.

World Champion
    Rod you have no idea how fantastic it is to see these pics again. Having left NZ in 98, I have not seen most of these since then. I used to read these books almost annually, as I have said my dad has the 72 one, which has a shot of the Dawson Camaro on the cover. There was also a much more detailed magazine type book that dad used to have for 1973. I am not sure whether he still has that or not, I spoke to him yesterday so he is actually looking for them. However Mum and Dad have moved 4 times since I left NZ so I am not sure what they still have. I at one stage had every NZ Motoring News from about Dec 81 to around the late 80's but I think most of those have either decomposed by now or been recycled in some other way.
    Anyway these books formed a large part of my childhood so its great to see them

World Champion
    That picture of Gardner and Clark... That's me lying on my stomach just above Gardners nose cone.. I remember the incident like it happened yesterday. Clark was my hero back then, Gardners lack of brakes tainted my opinion of him for years after ..haha

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Rod you have no idea how fantastic it is to see these pics again. Having left NZ in 98, I have not seen most of these since then. I used to read these books almost annually, as I have said my dad has the 72 one, which has a shot of the Dawson Camaro on the cover. There was also a much more detailed magazine type book that dad used to have for 1973. I am not sure whether he still has that or not, I spoke to him yesterday so he is actually looking for them. However Mum and Dad have moved 4 times since I left NZ so I am not sure what they still have. I at one stage had every NZ Motoring News from about Dec 81 to around the late 80's but I think most of those have either decomposed by now or been recycled in some other way.
    Anyway these books formed a large part of my childhood so its great to see them
    Had a email from your dad, and keeping in contact with him.
    Thanks for that.

Some North Islander must have told B.R.M. it was cold in the far south, as the cars arrived well wrapped up.

After Clark spun on the 4th lap and retired with a damaged radiator, his Scottish mate Jackie Stewart had things all his own way at Teretonga.

A classic and neatly composed shot of Frank Gardner finishing 2nd for his only New Zealand placing.