Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P.

Banned

R.I.P.

A couple of months back, 'Woody' told me that Bill Leckie had died and now I see that Neville Brickley has passed. Both men were fine peddlers of machinery and provided us with some great racing.

Russ, thanks for posting these. I had no idea about Bill Leckie, I'm shocked by that. Very sad to hear about losing both of these guys. RIP.

Sad news, did not know that Bill had passed. Both great motorsport people.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-26-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Very sad news.I raced against Bill in early 70s when he had his Imp,.He also used to come into work for parts.Always pleasant and enjoyable company.To me he is not just a name,, I have vivid memories of his racing when I see his name.
    Life is short, and time is all we have.

Semi-Pro Racer
    May have missed it in another post, but also see Prof Sid Watkins passed earlier this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Russ, thanks for posting these. I had no idea about Bill Leckie, I'm shocked by that. Very sad to hear about losing both of these guys. RIP.
    I'm also sad to hear that. I met Bill at Ruapuna in 1975-ish which is when I took this shot of him with the amazing Imp-Ford. A very nice guy as I recall.
    Name:  Bill Leckie Imp-Ford 1975 (2)small.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  159.3 KB

World Champion
    2 shots of the Leckie Imp from the GP meet Pukekohe1975

Name:  Imp Chased by Mini.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  150.0 KB

Name:  Saloons at Pukekohe 3.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  156.8 KB

World Champion
    Imp? is this the Sunbeam Stilletto that also went to Barry Vuyk and BrYan Bate?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Imp? is this the Sunbeam Stilletto that also went to Barry Vuyk and BrYan Bate?
    I would not have thought so as the Stiletto body was very different in the rear.

I believe the Leckie Imp was written off after an end over end roll due to a rear hub breakage. The Vuyk Stiletto was apparently built using a saloon body which then had the coupe roof grafted on. The coupe doors are also different to the saloon doors due to the lower roofline.

Weekend Warrior
    Here is a scan from Otago Sports Car Club mag Wheelspin April 79 of Clog's Imp at Timaru...

Sorry about condition but have hunted high and low forr slides from that era ...Dearly Departed must have tossed them ..

Cheers Lynds

Weekend Warrior
    Whoops my finger got me in trouble again

LyndsName:  clogs 2.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  53.7 KB

There is a Nigel Roskilly in the death notices of this morning's Herald.

Anyone know if he's the one who competed in the early Shell Silver Fern Rallies.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ...and before that hillclimbed the RGR 500

I'm racking my brain trying to remember his initials, as that might tie in with the Herald notice. "Our" man would be late 60s or early 70s, I would have thought

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    ...and before that hillclimbed the RGR 500

I'm racking my brain trying to remember his initials, as that might tie in with the Herald notice. "Our" man would be late 60s or early 70s, I would have thought
    Stop "wrecking" your brain, "old timer"! One christian name: Nigel.........I'm basing this on my usual defective-detective work.

I think it is the Nigel Roskilly (Christopher Jan Nigel Roskilly) who was involved in racing and old Jaguars. There was an email going around a week or so back that he was seriously ill and a sale of his Jaguar parts and spares was taking place.

World Champion
    Thanks for that clarification, I kinda knew the rear was different but I had not seen an Imp with the dual front headlights, thats why I thought it may have been. Saw a Stilletto shell on a trailer coming home from Brisbane a few weeks back. Beautiful little cars.

Looking at Mr Leckies cars, I must say I feel a little disappointed that I do not remember seeing any of them race. There are images I have posted from Dad that shows the Capri, however my focus was on 3 cars that day, PDL2 , Miss Victorious and Pat Creas Scotties Cortina, well I was only 4.

Name:  Pit Scene - Pukekohe.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  158.4 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    I think it is the Nigel Roskilly (Christopher Jan Nigel Roskilly) who was involved in racing and old Jaguars.
    Yes, C J N Roskilly sounds right for the RGR/Silver Fern man

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    I think it is the Nigel Roskilly (Christopher Jan Nigel Roskilly) who was involved in racing and old Jaguars. There was an email going around a week or so back that he was seriously ill and a sale of his Jaguar parts and spares was taking place.
    He was occasionally referred to by his full handle (1966 Puhipuhi hillclimb):

I may possibly have a photo of him - one of a number of unidentified Coopers etc at hillclimbs.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    He was occasionally referred to by his full handle (1966 Puhipuhi hillclimb):
    That's how I knew
    The RGR was always entered as a Cooper in those days