Thread: Coppins' Camaro

Coppins' Camaro

Hi all,

Steve Elliott is bring in a Chev Camaro with which to compete in the growing HMC series. He is keen to paint the car in the Coppins 'Winfield' colours. He has plenty of black and white photos of the car in this scheme but is looking for any coloured photos to help get the colours right.

Can anyone help him out.

Thats a great colour scheme, one of the best in my opinion. Rod only ran the car in Winfeild colours for half a season, before he bought the T/G Firebird and completed the rest of the championship with that. So colour photos of the car in the Winfeild colors are really hard to find. I really hope this thread brings a few to the surface.

This is from Autonews:

Name:  Coppins Autonews.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  125.3 KB

Here is the same image cropped:

Name:  46.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  150.6 KB

This is one of your photos Mike, again its been cropped:

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  62.8 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Man there is some history to be told by the names on that grid. What is the little yellow one at the back?

The mighty Husky van!

What about the Winfield Monaro road car in the background. Was this a `promo' car?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Bay Park late 1971:

Name:  coppins bay park copy.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  155.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    The mighty Husky van!
    Hillman Cob

Think there was the Monaro and a Ute painted up Steve.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 09-24-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    That looks good doesn't it Steve! Would make a neat tow car for the Camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Hillman Cob

Think there was the Monaro and a Ute painted up Steve.
    Hillman Husky (one of which I played with way back then) and Commer Cob are almost the same. Commer a wee bit longer wheelbase if I remember rightly. But not Hillman Cob.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Hillman Husky (one of which I played with way back then) and Commer Cob are almost the same. Commer a wee bit longer wheelbase if I remember rightly. But not Hillman Cob.
    It was called "The Cob" on back door. Always refered to as the cob. Anyway it was a trick little thing way back then.

Steve, how about tracking down an old Holden station wagon and using it as your tow car!

Name:  55.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  152.0 KB

Terry Marshall photo.

Could you imagine some PC Homo at the VTNZ if you were to rock up there with this combo today!. Some of the stories I`ve heard over the years - such as this camaro being driven between Tokoroa and Taupo when the HR Holden ute that was towing it at the time tore the centre out of the clutch - these guys were truly the pioneers. Things were done in moderation, relevant to that era, but the comaradirie, the rivalry, but most of all the enjoyment, is why these bunch of guys and the `big bangers' they raced, are so well remembered today.

Not quite the same story, but I like the one when the Lawrence brothers raced the Peugeot 203 and the Lola sports car. Remove bumper, attach towbar, go to track, revrese the process etc. All except the time when the Pug clutch started slipping in the Paraparas. So unload the trailer, etc and leave the trailer in a cockies farmyard. Now they took turns to drive the Lola and the Pug, raced for the weekend and went home. Graeme reckoned he won the lottery cos he go the last 50 miles of the Parapara on the way home to Wanganui.