Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - Oran Park - Part 2

Educated??? # 30 a Mallala like the one in Palmy?
    Next you will have a certain North Shore car seeking allegiance!
    Last edited by Oldfart; 10-08-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    My thoughts are 30 is an Elfin, 95 is a Milano and 25 in #24 is a Buchanan. No guarantees just an educated guess.
    I think you will find that #30 is the Mini Din and you are correct with the others.

Dale.

Guys, thanks for your help with these. Here are the last four from this chapter.

Name:  43.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  44.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  45.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  46.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  79.3 KB

Amazing! I got an email last night from Kathryn McIntyre. This is her father John Buchelin who wrote off the #13 Humpy Holden. Here is Kathryn's email:

"I came across this forum while i was looking for some footage of my Dads crash at Oran Park in 1965... and low and behold i found some photos on this site.. the ironic Holden Car Number 13 crash.. i have registered but im not able to post yet.. i would love to answer the question in the thread.. "Does anyone know who this is and is this guy oK???" YEP!! Thats my DAD!! John Buchelin and he walked away with just a scratch!!

I am still searching for some actual footage of the crash- apparently it exists out there somewhere and i was hoping maybe someone who administers on this site might be able to help me find it. My Dad still regularly catches up with his mates who raced with him and it would be great gift to them all to get hold of the video footage!

Thanks! Looking forward to posting soon!

Kathryn McIntyre"

Name:  op10b.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  128.3 KB

Kathryn has registered, and will post more info. I'm stunned her father was able to climb out of this with just a scratch. They sure built them tough in those days! If anyone knows of the video footage Kathryn is referring to, it'd be great if you could post a link.

Not only am I stunned, I am very thankful that he was largely unhurt. Perhaps some of the Italian luck where 13 is a good number!

Hi everyone!!! Thanks Steve!! I am able to post now!!

I came across this site when I was looking for some video or pictures of my dads crash.. and I found hm!! The No.13 Holden crash was my Dad!!! It has always been one of his favourite stories to tell from his car racing days!! He walked away with just a scratch on his left elbow- and his shirt was wrecked from the battery acid from the battery in the back seat. Apprently one of his mates hurt himself more scrambling over a barbed wire fence to get to Dad to check he was ok!!! In the 3rd picture it looks like my Dad checking out the car afterwards.. but Im not 100% sure.

I am still searching for the video footage of the crash.. but I am so excited to find the pictures!!! If anyone has any idea of where I could even start looking for the footage I would be really appriciative!! The crash was spectacular, Dad rolled nose to tail about 5 times before rolling sideways and hitting the wall.. it all started coz he came through the corner in a slide and then clipped the wall!!

And since that day... 13 has always been his "Lucky Number!!!" lol

Also Steve.. is it ok if I copy these photos for my Dad and also to put on facebook?? Thought I would check before I do it
    Last edited by Katti; 10-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks Kathryn, great post! I've emailed you the sequence of photos. Did your dad race again after this crash?

Thanks!! I got the photos i have put them up on my page (dad does have a facebook account, but doesnt know how it all really works lol) can I post a link here or not??

He mentioned the car that drove past.. he said that the driver felt so bad for not stopping! I cant recall his name, but dad knows who it was. He did race again after the crash.. but as the more professional drivers and teams started to take off dad and his mates sort of dropped off and didnt race as much. Dad admits he wasnt the best driver (REALLY??? LOL), they were never contenders to win, and he said that the officials picked on the amatures about every nitty gritty detail and penalised them for trivial things about the cars, which kind of took the fun out of it for them. He still loves his cars though!! And he still keep sin contact with his mates that he drove with and who he worked on the cars with!

Kathryn, thanks heaps. Yes please post a link to your Facebook page, would love to see it.

He may not have been the fastest driver, but was obviously pretty fearless! Those old Humpy Holdens were so popular during the '60s, there must have been hundreds of them racing.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Is there another chapter coming Steve?

Dale.

For Oran Park, or overall Dale? Either way, yes, plenty more to come.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I don't care,Oran Park or anywhere else, all of Bruce Well's photos are brilliant. Brings back great memories. Bring them on.

Dale.

Dale, I've got a bit more from Oran Park, then we move to Warwick Farm, where there are some real beauties!

Name:  wf1.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  97.6 KB

Plus I'm also dedicating a complete chapter just to driver portraits.

Name:  wf2.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  104.8 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Looks like you have gone straight to Warwick Farm. Bob Jane in the lightweight E type rounding creek corner. Jack and Bruce, could be anywhere. Great quality shots.

Dale.

That is one of the best Bruce and Jack photos ever, captures them both just as they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    The black GT Cortina (ex Geoghegan) is George Garth. The Austin Cooper S could be John Harvey, but not sure.
    Leo Geoghegan in the Lotus 32. Ian "Pete" Geoghegan in the Lotus 23B.

Dale.
    If it's not John Harvey, the other likely Austin Cooper S exponent of that era was then Singapore-based ex-pat Richard Arblaster.
    From memory, the number plate's about right for him.
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
    If it's not John Harvey, the other likely Austin Cooper S exponent of that era was then Singapore-based ex-pat Richard Arblaster.
    Ken.
    Should be John Harvey in the Austin Cooper S if these photos are March & May 65. It's the ex Arblaster car.

Stephen

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
    Ken.
    Kenz, I have just checked some records and John Harvey was the only Austin Cooper S listed for that meeting, so that's who it is.
    Dale.

Semi-Pro Racer
    There you go Kenz, you were right about it being the Arblaster car. Just not him behind the wheel.
    Dale.

I am sure I've seen a film clip of the Buchelin rollover too...

I don't know where or when, just a moment of amateur film.

That one was as good as the John Rootes crash out of Savva's Hairpin at Catalina. But it seems not as good as the Geraldton crash by Hank Vaanholt in '65.