Thread: Motorsport NZ does Historic Racing need them.....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forgot about that one Roger! I parked up my car for two years as the harness seat belts had expired, having been used less than 15 times. What really niggled then was that instead of just renewing the authority card when I changed brands, I had to apply for a new one and also, get this, get a scrutineer's approval - for a BRAND change?????

I could have reverted to the 2" original lap and diagonal, 35 year old belts - and if you had seen the original mountings for those, you would be apalled. (I might post a pic one day.)

That was the last straw for me at the time. I nearly gave up racing altogether, but the constant and ultimately successful lobbying for a belt review tempted me back again, but it is a fragile relationship with MSNZ's technical rulings and I suspect that many cars in sheds are there because owners are unwilling to bastardise the originals.

We should put a line in the sand NOW, and demand that there is no need for any further technical changes for older cars. Most of us are not running modern 700bhp super tourers and many are running cars with less than 150bhp, or even less than 100bhp. In many cases, they are not even racing cars, they are road cars.

I dread the day when some bright spark decides that all suspension components need crack testing annually.
    Last edited by ERC; 10-10-2012 at 09:23 PM.