Thread: Motorsport NZ does Historic Racing need them.....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Roger. I am currently a member of just one club (MGCC - Auckland) which I think has about 400 members. That is a lot of money considering that only about 40, would even venture onto the race track. I am basing that on those who race regularly (25 on my list of 160 series drivers - not all running MGs) plus the Classic triallers and MG race series drivers.

Let us be generous and say that 50 MGCC members are genuinely under the MSNZ umbrella. If they formed their own club (they could still be affiliated to MGCC) and would pay $250 to the governing body, then MGCC would save a massive $1750 a year - MSNZ would lose it.

Maybe the clubs need to address this issue themselves. I assume TACCOC, Porsche, BMW, Alfa, Jaguar, Fiat, Lotus and many other affiliated marque clubs will be in a similar situation? But, if they did, MSNZ would simply raise all licence and permit fees to maintain their income, so an alternative organisation would be even more viable.

A stand alone Classic/Historic organisation could probably be staffed by a maximum of two full time employees and I am sure that the office space they'd need and the cost of a couple of computers, a scanner, laminator or card printer and mobile phones would be peanuts in terms of cost per Classic/Historic competitor over a season of racing.

As a profitable series, we would happily throw a few extra dollars into the pot if required.
    Last edited by ERC; 10-09-2012 at 10:03 PM.