Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Jane Racing Heritage - Photo Collection

Yeah, I really think you guys are on it, its almost certainly the Beechey Camaro. That car really had some effort go into it. What a shame its career was so short.

Norm Beechey, the showman. The sport today is sadly lacking the characters it once had.

Name:  560579_357011014392073_896623051_n.jpg
Views: 4030
Size:  47.8 KB

Norm and Peter Manton discuss team tactics. Pete Geoghegan tries to look like he isn't listening in.

Name:  577305_357628577663650_1237572556_n.jpg
Views: 4176
Size:  104.4 KB

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Norm Beechey, the showman. The sport today is sadly lacking the characters it once had.
    Unfortunately Steve, I think ALL sports have been sanitised to ridiculous levels, I think of the nonsense happening within cricket and the indoctrination that means that you can not even talk to another player for fear of how they may react.
    This year an AFL player was suspended for a week and fined by his club for making comments about another players mother.

Your right Steve, I miss the girls.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ...Gezzz, Rod I miss them too, What was thier names !!????..........................MJ

The lightweight E Type, with hardtop lid fitted. Note how heavily polished the wheels are, this was signature of all Bob's cars. Presentation was as good as it gets.

Name:  254706_357808434312331_2102081159_n.jpg
Views: 3531
Size:  63.0 KB

The D Type. What more can I say. Just stunning.

Name:  68313_357651070994734_1455197995_n.jpg
Views: 3490
Size:  75.9 KB

Fascinating collage of the HQ Monaro. The level of detail is amazing. Note the lack of head rest. Bob and John Harvey must have had bloody strong necks! Some padding was added to the rollcage tube directly behind the drivers seat in early races, before a large pad was fitted, then, finally, a high-back race seat. Note also the finned rear drums. And, as per CAMS rules for Improved Production, the HQ is fully carpeted!

Name:  283418_356633287763179_261897831_n.jpg
Views: 3513
Size:  166.9 KB

Very early photo of Allan Moffat posing next to his Mustang. This is from 1969, when the car still ran on 8" wide wheels, and before the Boss decals were applied in 1970. Moffat looks incredibly young and unassuming here, and slightly geeky, with his signature thick-rimmed specs. Yet, behind the wheel, he was an absolute tiger, and brought a new level of intensity to Australian touring car racing when he arrived.

Name:  535740_356292587797249_340217726_n.jpg
Views: 3516
Size:  43.8 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Steve

Do you want other Jane pics in this or would you rather keep it to your Racing Heritage material

Ellis, I just created this thread to display some of the photos from the Bob Jane Racing Heritage, as we're working together with them. But please go ahead and add yours, they're an absolute credit to any thread.

Another Camaro to throw in the mix could be the Ex Terry Allen car when raced by Greame Blanchard in 71-72. He has told me he ran the 350 small block with a quad weber crossover setup. It was stolen off the car just before he sold it to Lakis Manticas. Terry ran quad 58mm webers on the big block, so these may have been those carbs with small block cross over.

I did briefly wonder that too Nick, but there are a series of photos taken of the Beechey Camaro that look like they could have been (or maybe they did end up) taken for a magazine article, including interior and trunk photos, and I wonder if maybe this is part of that photo shoot.

The other Super Falcon. Ford Australia built, at huge expense, two XW Falcons for the Improved Production category that contested the Australian Touring Car Championship, one for Pete Geoghegan, and one for Allan Moffat. The cars were powered by fuel-injected 351s, and contained some quite exotic pieces. This is Moffats car, which was supposed to replace his Mustang. Moffats car first appeared at the final ATCC race in 1970 at Symmons where the motor blew itself to bits.

Both drivers struggled with the cars during the various races they ran them in 1971, often turning up with both their Falcons and Mustangs, practising with both cars, then opting to run the Mustangs. Both cars handled poorly, due mainly to lacking rigidity in an effort to get weight out of them, plus they struggled to put power to the ground. Geoghegan persevered for another year, after pouring a bunch more money into it, but won just a single ATCC race in 1972. Moffat gave up on his, and reverted back to his Mustang. His Falcon was believed to have been stripped of its good parts, which were transferred across to Geoghegans car, and the body eventually dumped.

Name:  190371_357809884312186_877122690_n.jpg
Views: 4080
Size:  90.9 KB

Hi Steve,the Moffat XW lightweight would be my all time favourite looking touring car-what a pity it never ran in this configuration for any length of time before it was updated to the XY style,not quite as tough looking in my opinion. I believe the cars were originally built with removable radiator support panels ( to enable quick engine changes in the pits ) and this weakening of the front body structure lead to body twistage causing handling issues.A hell of a great looking car!

Regards Pete.

Moffat lightweight XW

Interesting engine bay shot of the Moff lightweight showing off the locally made mechanical slide-valve fuel injection.
    The engine reportedly made about 550 bhp which was uber strong for 1970.Name:  img001.jpg
Views: 3451
Size:  110.4 KB

Wow, that is some pretty special! Didn't Moffat try running the Falcon motor in his Mustang once or twice?

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    Hi Steve,the Moffat XW lightweight would be my all time favourite looking touring car-what a pity it never ran in this configuration for any length of time before it was updated to the XY style,not quite as tough looking in my opinion. I believe the cars were originally built with removable radiator support panels ( to enable quick engine changes in the pits ) and this weakening of the front body structure lead to body twistage causing handling issues.A hell of a great looking car!

Regards Pete.
    Yeah I'm with you on that one Pete, I thought Moffats looked better as an XW too. Although, curiously, I thought Geoghegans looked better as an XY! Its a shame the cars never performed as hoped, they were pretty dramatic looking machines, and even when first built were incredibly exciting, and created huge interest, and were phenomenally powerful. But even after Geoghegan spent a fortune further developing his for 1972, it still wasn't as good as Moffats Mustang at most tracks.