Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Jane Racing Heritage - Photo Collection

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, that is some pretty special! Didn't Moffat try running the Falcon motor in his Mustang once or twice?
    Moffat ran a 351 in the Mustang towards its career end and it was reportedly the Falcon engine. It upset the cars balance somewhat and rather than move it back and partially destroy the car he chose to retire it....a decision well made.

Ford gave the two cars to Al and Big Pete to continue their further developement and I remember seeing John French drive AM,s lightweight at Surfers and at Lakeside and he did a good job as the car appeared to be very quick and competitive. it did look nice in the Brambles Red colour scheme as an XY but the best motor race I have ever seen was the battle between Pete in his white lightweight XY and Moff,s Mustang in the ATTC round at Bathurst Easter 1972-this was a titanic duel between two greats with Pete just pipping Moff by a headlight at the finish..an unbelievable race.

Pete.

Were you at that event Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Moffat ran a 351 in the Mustang towards its career end and it was reportedly the Falcon engine. It upset the cars balance somewhat and rather than move it back and partially destroy the car he chose to retire it....a decision well made.
    Yeah, I agree, definitely the right decision, and probably completely different to what most others would have done in the same position.

Anyone want to try and guess which this car is?

Name:  545566_358168517609656_452117680_n.jpg
Views: 3469
Size:  114.0 KB

Yes Steve,I was at the bottom of Con-rod and on the last lap and the last corner of that incredible race it was amazing to see Moffat,who had his entire upper body protruding through the side window as his windscreen was completely covered in engine oil from the XY.s overflow catch bottle causing no vision out the front screen,pull around Pete in attempt to out brake him and they went side by side thru Murrays with Pete just slightly out accellerating the Boss 302......Stuff legends are made from!
    Pete.
    Last edited by mid-year; 10-20-2012 at 01:05 AM.

XW,s of a different flavour

I like this comparison between the Super XW and the FoMoCo press test car stock Phase 2,the flares and the minilights on the lightweight look very aggresive.

Pete.Name:  img001.jpg
Views: 3195
Size:  95.8 KB
    Last edited by mid-year; 10-20-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Agreed, the flares and the wheels are what make it. I really love the flares those cars had, they were aggressive but still quite subtle, and its impressive they still housed 10" wide wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    Yes Steve,I was at the bottom of Con-rod and on the last lap and the last corner of that incredible race it was amazing to see Moffat,who had his entire upper body protruding through the side window as his windscreen was completely covered in engine oil from the XY.s overflow catch bottle and he had no vision out the front screen,pull around Pete in attempt to out brake him and they went side by side thru Murrays with Pete just slightly out accellerating the Boss 302......Stuff legends are made from!
    Pete.
    Wow, that must have been amazing. That race is considered one of the very greatest touring car races in Australian history.

I sometimes wonder how things could have been if CAMS had let the Improved Tourers run another season. On the one hand the fields were getting smaller as the front running cars were becoming more expensive to build and race, but I think Geoghegan could have been quite competitive with the Super Falcon, plus Jane would have had his HQ Monaro, and it would have been interesting to see who else entered the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Anyone want to try and guess which this car is?

Name:  545566_358168517609656_452117680_n.jpg
Views: 3469
Size:  114.0 KB
    Bob Jane tunnel port Mustang?

Semi-Pro Racer
    ........the after part of Mid-Years account was related to me by Chris Farrell some years ago, Chris worked for the 'Moffat', responsible for bodywork etc etc ( we were all 'good' at etc,etc,etc)......well as you all know,no victory lap at Bathurst, just around the cnr and in the gate,make your way around to the podium........this where it gets interesting....as 'Big' Pete comes through the gate he is meet by his crew,who proceed to 'towel down' the 'Super Falcon' as it slowly proceeds around to awaiting officials,by the time it arrives at the winners circle it's as shinny and clean as the day it rolled off the truck, the wayward 'oil' tube replaced back in the can...." what Oil"????.... So as Chris put it, you've got Mechanic on the Moffat Team that 'stutters', you've got Big Pete that 'stutters' and they have David Mc Mc Mc Kay who also 'stutters' all going 'hammer and tong', Pete going ,"W W W what F");:/ing Oil!!.....but you have to hear this story from Chris,he had us rolling around the floor .......MJ

Semi-Pro Racer
    A few of the Jane cars .......
    Maser at Longford....Smedley pic

Jag at Longford...Smedley pic

Jags at Longford...unkown source

E Type at Longford.... Smed pic

E Type LWT Calder...French

Semi-Pro Racer
    Jane Elfin Longford
    Note the starters 44gallon drum with wheels and handrail. This was wheeled out close to white line on track for the start then moved back after to make a pit lane where Elfin is stopped......technology

Next few are Perry Drury pics.....(been posted before)
    Harrops EH ran under Jane banner for a period. Jim Richards Had a couple of drives

Last edited by Ellis; 10-21-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: add description

Semi-Pro Racer
    Spencer Martin and Jane Symmons Plains.....
    Jim Clark gave Spencer a couple of pairs of Dunlop driving overalls after Longford.
    Spencer has since given a set to the now owner of ex Clark / ex Geoghegan Lotus 39.

McLoughlan pics....
    Lotus Cortina Longford

Elfin Longford
    Last edited by Ellis; 10-21-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Wow, these are fantastic Ellis, thanks for posting them. The E Type shot and Jag shot heading under the bridge at Longford are especially fascinating! What amazing photos.

Here is another shot of the beautiful Maserati

Name:  304348_357403251019516_297418167_n.jpg
Views: 3221
Size:  81.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ........the after part of Mid-Years account was related to me by Chris Farrell some years ago, Chris worked for the 'Moffat', responsible for bodywork etc etc ( we were all 'good' at etc,etc,etc)......well as you all know,no victory lap at Bathurst, just around the cnr and in the gate,make your way around to the podium........this where it gets interesting....as 'Big' Pete comes through the gate he is meet by his crew,who proceed to 'towel down' the 'Super Falcon' as it slowly proceeds around to awaiting officials,by the time it arrives at the winners circle it's as shinny and clean as the day it rolled off the truck, the wayward 'oil' tube replaced back in the can...." what Oil"????.... So as Chris put it, you've got Mechanic on the Moffat Team that 'stutters', you've got Big Pete that 'stutters' and they have David Mc Mc Mc Kay who also 'stutters' all going 'hammer and tong', Pete going ,"W W W what F");:/ing Oil!!.....but you have to hear this story from Chris,he had us rolling around the floor .......MJ
    Thats a bloody brilliant story Myles! Classic!

Another shot of the beautiful ex-Shelby Trans-Am Mustang. Can anyone tell me when Bob sold this car back to the US?

Name:  311178_358816647544843_2095689985_n.jpg
Views: 3537
Size:  72.5 KB

Before the Shelby Trans-Am Mustang, came this '67 which is the car destroyed at Lakeside in 1970. This car evolved quite a lot during its career, as it got lower, the wheels got wider, and the flares got larger. This is an early photo, almost certainly from 1967, I'm guessing at WF, with Bob hanging the tail out.

Name:  598685_351964738230034_929536931_n.jpg
Views: 3236
Size:  76.5 KB

The Camaro, during its 1972 season, when Bob became back-to-back ATCC champion. The Camaro was forced by CAMS to run a small block Chevy this season, plus drum brakes on the rear. But it mattered not, after another intense championship battle with Moffat, Bob came out as champion once again, winning four races, finishing second twice, third once, and with just one dnf from the eight rounds. I know the Camaro is more famous as it was in 1971, but I personally preferred the way it looked in '72, with the centres painted gloss black on the Minilites.

Name:  190394_358397747586733_1896121852_n.jpg
Views: 3359
Size:  75.2 KB

Bobs crazy LC Torana GTR XU-1 Sports Sedan, with alloy Repco-Brabham V8, and glorious chrome megaphone exhausts. The Torana first appeared in 1971, and raced for several seasons under Bobs ownership, and being constantly evolved, but its perhaps most famous in this early guise, with tall rear wing attached. The wing wasn't on the car in its very early races, it sprouted later in 1971, and was still there in early 1972, until CAMS created a way to ban it! According to John Sheppard, the wing was actually off a glider, which was then wrapped in aluminium, and with a Gurney-flap attached to the rear upper lip.

Name:  230901_357009717725536_1292278943_n.jpg
Views: 3150
Size:  85.3 KB