Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: PUKEKOHE

Good point Ray, speed plays a big part in those new corners at the end of the straight. It works for the V8 supercars and it was great racing to watch on the TV. Classics and other classes like I stated above the jury is still out.

Very fitting for the Brad Jones team to take out the Jason Richards race of the round.

And I'm not looking foward to clambering over concrete walls to flag...from what I hear the old "flowerpots" have gone, so the flagpoints are $^!+ now...maybe the track should be left now for the V8's, other NASCAR type events, and truck racing.
    Um...the new pit complex...isn't that just bigger tents?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nzeder View Post
    Good point Ray, speed plays a big part in those new corners at the end of the straight. It works for the V8 supercars and it was great racing to watch on the TV. Classics and other classes like I stated above the jury is still out.

Very fitting for the Brad Jones team to take out the Jason Richards race of the round.
    Would it be possible to reinstate the old section for Historic events?

Quote Originally Posted by nzeder View Post

Dont know about that last race,would like to know about the other classes out there that raced this weekend,any photos

Fantastic weekend at Pukekohe. New infrastructure looks brilliant. Additional corners add a new exciting dimension. Great job done by all. Looking forward to racing there. I like racing at HD but also like having a local alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    I don't see why not.

However, as I understand it, there are classes that are unhappy about the close proximity of the concrete walls and I really can't see the track management moving barriers and catch fencing now they are in place. The back straight complex is an easy fix but race promoters will need to let drivers know in the ASR's whether or not they are using the old or new track. Unless stated otherwise, I would assume they will use the 'new' layout. In fact the regs for the first HRC meeting, early May, make no reference whatever to the track configuration or the track length.
    Last edited by ERC; 04-14-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Purely and simply this smells like an exercise in retrieving value from the Hamilton investment - for AV8.
    1. Getting better pit facilities is a plus but the rest IMHO is questionable. Without having had the benefit of having watched the event live and only watched a few laps on TV (the V8s don't do much for me to be honest) the racing didn't look as great as the Murph years were.
    2. I don't get the layout change. It seemed to result in a lot of slip road indiscretions which make for a nightmare for stewards in the absence of TV replays.
    3. The TV suffers from high camera angles necessitated by the height of the catch fencing. Height, especially when translated across all 8 or 9 or whatever track cameras brings a diminishing of apparent speed and the ability to see the car's dynamics. In a word it makes the shots look BLAND. To me it looked for the most part like another Oz street circuit.
    4. The lining of the track with concrete at track's edge make an off a more expensive event.
    5. For bikes it has now become an unsanctionable track from what I am told. The history of Puke and bikes is - for all you car only types - as rich as cars at Puke. It's a sad day for those of us who have seen it's demise as a bike racing track.
    6. While having HD down the highway was impacting on the usage of Puke, now I can see Puke being a one trick pony. When the Cochrane mob tire of the issues of an old track I can see it could truly be HISTORY.

In a way it makes a change to see the taxpayer general throwing dollars at motorsport it seems to be a con job by Cochocorp with little to commend it from the enthusiasts point of view except we kept the event in New Zealand.

Absolutely, and why wouldnt you as the new bits add nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    Purely and simply this smells like an exercise in retrieving value from the Hamilton investment - for AV8.
    1. Getting better pit facilities is a plus but the rest IMHO is questionable. Without having had the benefit of having watched the event live and only watched a few laps on TV (the V8s don't do much for me to be honest) the racing didn't look as great as the Murph years were.
    2. I don't get the layout change. It seemed to result in a lot of slip road indiscretions which make for a nightmare for stewards in the absence of TV replays.
    3. The TV suffers from high camera angles necessitated by the height of the catch fencing. Height, especially when translated across all 8 or 9 or whatever track cameras brings a diminishing of apparent speed and the ability to see the car's dynamics. In a word it makes the shots look BLAND. To me it looked for the most part like another Oz street circuit.
    4. The lining of the track with concrete at track's edge make an off a more expensive event.
    5. For bikes it has now become an unsanctionable track from what I am told. The history of Puke and bikes is - for all you car only types - as rich as cars at Puke. It's a sad day for those of us who have seen it's demise as a bike racing track.
    6. While having HD down the highway was impacting on the usage of Puke, now I can see Puke being a one trick pony. When the Cochrane mob tire of the issues of an old track I can see it could truly be HISTORY.

In a way it makes a change to see the taxpayer general throwing dollars at motorsport it seems to be a con job by Cochocorp with little to commend it from the enthusiasts point of view except we kept the event in New Zealand.
    Agree. Mark Skaife and co couldn't stop giving the circuit all the positive comment they could over the weekend...what a surprise...gotta justify it somehow.

Re staying at home and eating your own Chips Amco72.....nothing to do with motor racing but I was at the Paul Simon concert last week in Dunedin and a lady in front of me at the bag search!!!! had a block of chocolate taken from her as it was something she could buy inside the stadium.
    How ridiculous.
    I stepped in and said she was my wife and I was a diabetic and I needed it in case I had a hypo and handed it back to here and on we walked inside.........and she was so dumbfounded she said nothing. The security guard had the same look as the the Mayor of Hiroshima....'what the f... was that'.

Ok I am not a horse person but with from watching on TV the pits/race control tower looked to be removable and given the track is used for horses how can the punters see the all important part of the track - the home straight - from the stands (someone who was there or has been there might like to comment on this as state only going by the shots I spotted on the TV) with these in their current place.

So it might be good to have those facilities but the horse based events might mean they come down and will not be available for meetings - so V8 Supercars only? Anybody know the answer?

[QUOTE=RogerH;27385]Still can't understand from a functional perspective why they had to use so many concrete barriers around the track - seems to have unnecessarily turned an open circuit into a semi street circuit. Only reason seems to be commercial in that the AV8 share of the "investment" into Pukekohe was the left-overs they got from Hamilton so they had to use all the concrete barriers irrespective of whether they were actually needed. Also, I hear that the concrete barriers and the mesh fencing impedes spectators view in some parts of the track.
    Just in case Jim thinks this is putting the boot in - there are clearly some beneficial improvements made to the circuit but like others I struggle to see where the reputed $10m has gone to - although I hear on the news this morning that Auckland Council has spent $60m in the last two years on PR so maybe PR takes a chunk of Pukekohe's $10m.[/QUOTE They spent $10mill over two years, going to places out of nz.

I went and I will put on spectators hat and say it was the best Supercar meeting I have been to in NZ. Security/Gatepeople were awesome and could not be more polite. You were allowed to bring drink and food in aok.

Sitting in the grandstand (as I have for every V8 event I have been to) I was concerned about the new control tower etc blocking view but it was as before. The barriers on rear straight do block out lower part of car. Walked around everywhere including the new corners and for non grandstand people there were heaps of spectator areas with good views.

Food was reasonably priced but drink was crazy ($5.00) but you can bring your own in...so cannot complain really.

The format of 4 V8 races etc was brilliant and eliminated some boring nose to tail 60 lap races of the past. There was plenty of action ie NZ races to watch and I thought the balance of racing versus displays was excellent so that you could shoot down to pits etc.

The toilets (which have always annoyed me) were pretty good and I noticed cleaners in there all the time...never happened in the past.

Parking was easy, we parked right by the entrance gate in the track car park (you bought tickets online) and it only took about a 1/2 hour to 45mins to get out.

From my view it made Hamilton look like a complete mess and this was a view shared by the people who sat around me. Cannot think about many (if any) negatives from a spectator view and will be back next year.

PS: My only gripe was the standard of driving from the HQ driver (SW) who I watched run two people off the track (hitting one) in Musclecar Qualifying. There were other drivers going at same (and faster) pace who showed respect to slower drivers....good on them.

The barriers down the inside of back straight seemed strange, as mentioned before by somebody, no where to pullover, why not down the outside of horse rail. Over the hill not as bad as people were saying earlier, the new kink in back straight looked interesting, and there was still braking duels and passing at hairpin, maybe bit more than before, but i do feel it will not suit alot of 'ordinary class's and motorsport competitors'
    Top format the 4 race set up and good racing, believe 'Frosty' was shown the map to Waikaraka Park, but it wasn't his fault, it was every one else. 2 meetings in a row he has made a complete tool of himself, and it is a big mouth and they are the easy ones to shut, normally by a lot smaller guy. Another rumour has him going to NASCA and flatting with Stewart and Danica.

World Champion
    I agree about the barriers down the inside of the back straight Rod. The appeared to run half way down and just stop. What is the desired option there, Armco? grass?
    I first went to Pukekohe with my Dad back in the 60s. I was 8. I had been to a couple of events at Ohakea and the bug had bitten, but it was at Puke that I can clearly remember thinking that not ony were the drivers as brave as Spitfire pilots but completely crazy as well.
    I hope Auckland is big enough to support 2 great tracks, and that Puke survives and keeps making steps forward.

Journeyman Racer
    In answer to BRY3500's question; "Would it be possible to reinstate the old section for Historic events?" It could be reinstated, but the circuit license doesn't permit the old back straight to be used. The focus of the circuit is V8SC's. I hear there were drainage problems at race meeting on saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by RacerT View Post
    In answer to BRY3500's question; "Would it be possible to reinstate the old section for Historic events?" It could be reinstated, but the circuit license doesn't permit the old back straight to be used. The focus of the circuit is V8SC's. I hear there were drainage problems at race meeting on saturday?
    A competitor from this weekend said it was a lake at the new part, and races called.

Apparently they are going to get the "old" straight configuration licenced, but there is a bit more work to be done first.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    A competitor from this weekend said it was a lake at the new part, and races called.
    Yes a friend raced there on the Saturday and drainage is a major issue, railway corner on to the back straight fills up to the new curb.

I first went to Pukekohe with my Dad back in the 60s. I was 8. I had been to a couple of events at Ohakea and the bug had bitten, but it was at Puke that I can clearly remember thinking that not ony were the drivers as brave as Spitfire pilots but completely crazy as well.
    I hope Auckland is big enough to support 2 great tracks, and that Puke survives and keeps making steps forward.
    Back then motor racing was motor racing. We did not expect to play tiddlywinks. LOL