Quote Originally Posted by Steve Emson View Post
Raced on Puke with and without chicanes. I think I liked the chicanes better because in my opinion it added a little more skill and daring, but mostly more passing opportunities under brakes. You had to get through the back straight chicane without slowing excessively to be fast.
Many will disagree, I have no idea what it is like now. Cannot remember the last time i was even there. I guess I am luke warm about the place, but I had great success at the track, so i guess I should have fonder memories.
I loved Levin and Manfield however. Before I ever raced there Dad kept telling me stories of a magician who was very quick around Levin. He told me if I could get around there in this certain time i would be doing alright. The magicians name was Kerry Grant.
I vividly remember the first ever race meeting at Manfield. Some people were miles quicker than anyone else. Neville Bailey came and told me the apparent secret to getting around the big sweeper onto the front straight. It is actually the same secret to the carrousel at Lakeside here in OZ. It didn't take long for most people to cotton on.
The long distance races at Puke, that can get my juices going. Being able to work away for your stint was very enjoyable, especially if the pit board was telling you if you were leading the class or needed to catch other cars. Watching the split come down while catching was a study in concentration, especially in the dark. I think I have just changed my mind. I do like the place.
Always liked Puke as it was terror and skill. Grant Aitken and I did a few 8 and 6 hr B & H's in Datsuns and getting it right over the hill into the start/ finish and getting out of jail every time at the end was satisfaction especially as the tyres came in. We did what Leo did and shaved the steel belt radials down on the tyre balancer after cutting a few up to see how far we could go. Was good for 2 sec from the get go and you didn't change it until the sparks starting showing in the dark from the steel on the road. The first race we did was round the long circuit and way too tame. I did a Nissan celeb car race series with several rounds at Puke. They used tweaked Nissan Sentra's and did well except for one race when this Sentra came out looking all the norm, number and all, and started punting everyone to liven things up. It was Skaife in a hot 'Q' car which Nissan had imported and got Skaife to slip into the race to give us all a fright complete with fingers and all, as he created chaos. I enjoyed it especially when I found out but a few were a bit dark. We should have guessed as he was at the meeting along with Jim in Godzilla. Good times and I will never forget that puddle in the middle of turn one. Chris Read - Arrowtown.