Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: PUKEKOHE

The whole idea Custaxie was to use a bus to gain a park within the circuit precinct even if there was only two of us on board, but I am sure that had we been able to do this we would have been able to fill a 30 seater from Waihi/Paeroa no problems

Journeyman Racer
    Hi All I went to Pukekohe today. Arrived at 12.30 and was able to drive straight to the circuit through the Puke township. A lot of parking on the market gardens leading into the circuit area on the right. I managed to sqeeze in a ride around the circuit in the safety car between classes. Circuit still bumpy as no work has been done to that and looks like a lot of concrete barriers laid around the circuit, just cause they had them!
    The ones on the inside of the back straight make that quite intimidating and I can't see much point in them? Kerbs are high to keep V8's off them, but a Formula Junior would be catapulted to Mars! The dog leg in the back straight is hard to pick up at speed, as the circuit falls away and the turn-in is not defined in any way. It would be especially hard in a low single seater. Many cars were going straight ahead, especially the F5000 demo. When the marquees come down on Monday, we will still have a skeleton pit structure with a leaking plywood roof, a control room about as usable as the Jenian homes building, some concrete behind the pits for parking on and that's about it. Pukekohe circuit would be a better place if they can find some money to level and reseal the track. Tony Cochrane called the bumps 'character', but it's 'character' like a pit bull has when it keeps trying to bite you!
    Lets hope it works for them, as it is a showcase of Motorsport to the general public and we need to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerT View Post
    Hi All I went to Pukekohe today. Arrived at 12.30 and was able to drive straight to the circuit through the Puke township. A lot of parking on the market gardens leading into the circuit area on the right. I managed to sqeeze in a ride around the circuit in the safety car between classes. Circuit still bumpy as no work has been done to that and looks like a lot of concrete barriers laid around the circuit, just cause they had them!
    The ones on the inside of the back straight make that quite intimidating and I can't see much point in them? Kerbs are high to keep V8's off them, but a Formula Junior would be catapulted to Mars! The dog leg in the back straight is hard to pick up at speed, as the circuit falls away and the turn-in is not defined in any way. It would be especially hard in a low single seater. Many cars were going straight ahead, especially the F5000 demo. When the marquees come down on Monday, we will still have a skeleton pit structure with a leaking plywood roof, a control room about as usable as the Jenian homes building, some concrete behind the pits for parking on and that's about it. Pukekohe circuit would be a better place if they can find some money to level and reseal the track. Tony Cochrane called the bumps 'character', but it's 'character' like a pit bull has when it keeps trying to bite you!
    Lets hope it works for them, as it is a showcase of Motorsport to the general public and we need to support it.
    So where did the $10 mill go.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    So where did the $10 mill go.
    Managers fee's, Consultants Fee's, Back handers, Contractor pay off's, Contractors over charges, Lobby Fee's, divvy up amongst mates, come on guys you all know how it works!!

All above board offcourse

Dale M

Semi-Pro Racer
    Where did the $10 million figure come from, I read an article today that said the figure was closer to $6.6 million..

Well I heard that Len and his mates have put 11mil into it this year (of our rate payers $$ into it - and I still have shitty gravel road which makes riding a motorcycle on dangerous) and it is excepted more every year for the fee to host the event. I heard of this 11mil 6.6mil went to the track - the rest??? who know?? AVESGO fees?? Resource managmenet fee etc as already stated above.

If the figure was from Aussie sources, then that would be AUS $6.6, convert that to NZ.
    Go Frosty, fastest man, and well done to Holdsworth - Merc and Coruso- Nissan getting into top 10.
    Forget about complaining for a couple of days , lets enjoy this spectacle.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-12-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    If the figure was from Aussie sources, then that would be AUS $6.6, convert that to NZ.
    Go Frosty, fastest man, and well done to Holdsworth - Merc and Coruso- Nissan getting into top 10.
    Forget about complaining for a couple of days , lets enjoy this spectacle.
    You may like to have a look at what Racer T had to say about the track,after he went around it and what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Will the security guards be confiscating all your heavy bottled water and your egg sarnies, having lugged them 1.5km?
    You can put a ring around that. Heavy handed guards in a uniform will stop you taking that in because V8 Supercars want a cut from everything sold. It's F@#$%^&g rediculous. I went to Winton and Sandown and they were tipping out bottles of water for F@#$K sake so the punters had to buy their water at huge prices. The spectacle is great but the admin misses the point completely. Do I hear an echo of Bernie Ecclestone type behaviour. Watch at the pub or at home if you have Sky

[QUOTE=nzeder;27320]Well I heard that Len and his mates have put 11mil into it this year (of our rate payers $$ into it - and I still have shitty gravel road QUOTE]

You lucky bugger, that sounds like heaven! Now we are talking motorsport!

yes it is fun I have to agree it is great with all the off camber corners up and down hills + I love it when a non local tries to follow you down/up/around = they spin out usually - well on 4 wheels it is fun - but on my road bikes that don't like the moon rocks they put down - it great with smaller stones but usually they put these large rocks down.

Anyway enough of the gravel talk back on topic
    Last edited by nzeder; 04-12-2013 at 12:39 PM.

It is $10m over the five years and the lady on the news last night was ecstatic that they were geting value for money. Pity they couldn't find $20,000 to support the Badminton International, which the organiser has had to finance herself.

I think we are at the track May 4th (though I won't be able to race unfortunately) so it will be interesting to see what the net gain is for ongoing users, as I am sure the extra seating won't be required! If the Jennian home has gone and someone mentioned a temporary timing box, is there now a permanent race building office - or any permanent pit buildings?

We'll see how it all pans out, as racing in a bunch is a totally different ball game from qualifying...
    Last edited by ERC; 04-12-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Looks to be plenty of grass for Rod to drive on.

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Looks to be plenty of grass for Rod to drive on.
    Its just been on the radio now, that a kiwi driver was pulling a fast one on his hot lap, maybe he was using the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    Its just been on the radio now, that a kiwi driver was pulling a fast one on his hot lap, maybe he was using the grass.
    Fabian Coultard I believe. Presume everyone knows it screening on Prime right now.
    As a paying spectator I'm dismayed to see the the circuit is now covered in wire fences a la Hamilton. In fact it appears that in several areas there is a double layer of mesh fencing. How people in the stands can get a clear view of the racing is beyond me.
    Hopefully It'll be removed after the V8's because if it isn't we won't be able to get any decent photos which, for me anyway, means no more Pukekohe.
    Bugger - really hope they come down - but realistically they probably won't.
    Be like hitting a cheese grater for a motorcyclist
    Last edited by nigel watts; 04-13-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    Fabian Coultard I believe. Presume everyone knows it screening on Prime right now.
    As a paying spectator I'm dismayed to see the the circuit is now covered in wire fences a la Hamilton. In fact it appears that in several areas there is a double layer if mesh fencing. How people in the stands can get a clear view of the racing is beyond me.
    Hopefully It'll be removed after the V8's because if it isn't we won't be able to get any decent photos which, for me anyway, means no more Pukekohe.
    Bugger - really hope they come down - but realistically they probably won't.
    Be like hitting a cheese grater for a motorcyclist
    Yes, where would you get a better start and that first lap they put in and getting over that hill, i dont think hd could better that.

Wonder what Roger H has to say about the concrete walls ???

Fabian was pinged for cutting right across the ripple strip at turn 2. All four wheels effectively off the tarseal.

Having now seen the concrete, why on earth was it necessary to have it so close to the inner track on the back straight? Many cars have a problem at railway and coast to a standstill, but now they can't pull off to safety so that means a safety car - and if there is one thing that stuffs up the racing it is the safety car.

Nigel, I totally agree. I hate watching racing through catch fences.
    Last edited by ERC; 04-13-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    I hate watching racing through catch fences.
    But at least you can get close to where it is happening, don't you remember how far you had to be back from everything at Wigram and how difficult it was to see the cars on the other side of the circuit simply because of the curve of the earths horizon.

Journeyman Racer
    I hear Andrew Higgins hit the concrete wall on the back straight in his Lola F5000 after breaking an axle on the kerbs in the demo.
    He's ok, but car damaged. The concrete walls failed to absorb the impact.