Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: PUKEKOHE

Journeyman Racer
    But wait we have this fabulous new circuit!
    Upgraded from FIA category 3 to FIA Category 3. New pit marquees exactly like the old pit marquees. The bumps on the circuit retained because they are Pukekohe's 'character'. Energy absorbing concrete barriers lining the track - man that's progress if I ever saw it.

It'll be great having the Close Circuit TV in the old Hamilton control room that has replaced the Jenian Homes building, just a pity that it will be removed on the monday after the V8's.

We should have got a set of steak knives as well to complete the con.

Thats a good deal, particulary the steak knives.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    Happy to spend my $ with Sky and at Hampton Downs. With what Len has put into Puke I'm not planning on spending any more there.
    I think it is fair to say that with a combination of Len Browns ego and the complete waste of our money to do it, they have done to Puke what Adam did to Eve. They have catered to a select few, rather than the majority. It`ll be interesting to one day race on the new layout, but with the new track in Cromwell, and with Hampton Downs, these will become `character' tracks, whereas sadly Puke through the actions of a few will lose any character it had remaining.

It really gets to me when Council keeps talking about "energy absorbing concrete barriers". A concrete barrier anchored into the ground has no energy absorbing characteristics. All they are doing is creating a new oxymoron surpassing the old favourites such as "auto pilot", "authentic reproduction", "Jumbo shrimp" etc.

It isn't going to be much fun lugging your wheelie walker, chair, chilly bin, camera, umbrella and wet weather gear 1.5km, rain or shine.

And after this weekend i bet the same old issue's will raise there ugly head as in the past!! can't start engines early because of the poor ol horsees, business and persons living close whinging about the noise with the police turning up to tell you to load up!! half dismantle facility’s making it look abandon after the V8's leave town and on and on it goes!! like Baypark, id say its days are numbered.

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by RacerT View Post
    But wait we have this fabulous new circuit!
    Upgraded from FIA category 3 to FIA Category 3. New pit marquees exactly like the old pit marquees. The bumps on the circuit retained because they are Pukekohe's 'character'. Energy absorbing concrete barriers lining the track - man that's progress if I ever saw it.

It'll be great having the Close Circuit TV in the old Hamilton control room that has replaced the Jenian Homes building, just a pity that it will be removed on the monday after the V8's.

We should have got a set of steak knives as well to complete the con.
    Yeh, I picked up somewhere on the ' new ' Category 3 status. If this is correct , what happened to Supercars requirement of Category 2 status !!! I guess we shouldn't let rules get in the way rate payer funded entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    It isn't going to be much fun lugging your wheelie walker, chair, chilly bin, camera, umbrella and wet weather gear 1.5km, rain or shine.
    And don't forget that your chilly bin will be opened for inspection to prevent you from taking in your homemade lunches and refreshments. You must buy those from the concession holders of which V8 Supercars will take a cut (at exorbatint prices. $10 million - how would that change HD. Cochranes excuse for not holding it there was the track was too short - BS - Barbagello is 200 metres shoter than HD and the state Govt coughed up to make sure they didn't lose it. This dictator we have for a mayor has a lot to answer. HD is part of the Waikato District Council so why didn't they come to the party. Key is telling us that we should be enterprenurial or words to that effect - isnt that what Tony Roberts and Chris Watson are trying to do. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! That poncy left wing mayor in Auckland needs a driveshaft where the sun dont shine. As a consequence I won't be going even though it hurts. I'll enjoy it at my local where the refreshments are cheaper

Sorry but go way back to the start of the thread, it was said then.
    V8s and TV. Stuff the rest of NZ motorsport.
    HD to small crap, look at the go kart track they raced on last weekend. A bit of assistance to HD and the extension done and hello you have a top set up.
    Glad I don't have to tolerate that Len Brown, but there maybe something in that name as our so called mayor up here's surname is Brown as well, and he is a right plonk&^%. I think the name suits, and is as close to s*&* you can get with out DNA

Anyway be interesting to see what kind of turn out and show is put on.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Not wanting to turn this into a political thread but no doubt Mayor Brown will arrive by helicopter. He's only a fan of public transport for others.

Not wanting to turn this into a political thread but no doubt Mayor Brown will arrive by helicopter. He's only a fan of public transport for others.
    So wheres the goddam train from Hamilton

I tried to get hold of the organisers to see if bus parking was available at the circuit as I was intending to bring a bus load to the venue for Sunday. Had a collection of folks who were keen to go if we could have got parking at or very close but as yet have recieved no reply. I intend to go with one other now on sunday so they have one shot at my credit card. As Frosty5 has asked were's the train, or buses for that matter, from the south. It really does prove that NZ finished at the Bombay hills.

Not having parking at the track for spectators takes away another part of the experience. I enjoyed travelling up from Wellington to go to the big meetings and spent a bit of time with mates wandering through the car park checking out some of the rare , exotic and cool cars that were parked up. The thought of driving up , parking "somewhere" and taking a bus doesn't appeal to me at all...

Dont tell North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I tried to get hold of the organisers to see if bus parking was available at the circuit as I was intending to bring a bus load to the venue for Sunday. Had a collection of folks who were keen to go if we could have got parking at or very close but as yet have recieved no reply. I intend to go with one other now on sunday so they have one shot at my credit card. As Frosty5 has asked were's the train, or buses for that matter, from the south. It really does prove that NZ finished at the Bombay hills.
    Thanks Allan, thought I was a lone voice down here.It is unbelievable that someone would sell something that cost $8 million and sell it for $1.25 mill. HD has the land, the track and at best would cost +/- $3 million to extend the track and purchase the gear from HCC. Where's the F@#$%^&g logic behind this deal. Take it or we'll take you to court and plead breach of contract. Is it any wonder we get P@#%^&d of with politicians - local or federal. What would $10 million have done for HD. Absolutely unbelievable. I ain't going as I will watch it at my local where the price of food and refreshments is a truckload cheaper.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I don't recall special trains buses etc from Auckland or anywhere else when the race was in Hamilton.

State and federal govt assistance in sport is very much a part of the Australian scene, but not so much in NZ. After the ripoffs that went on with the Hamilton Council you would hardly expect the Waikato Dist Council to be interested in supporting a Hampton Downs event. In any case, Messrs Roberts and Watson wouldn't be at all interested in selling their souls to a bunch of Australians just for one weekend's racing.

Stu

Journeyman Racer
    I am astounded and sad reading the above posts. Ok its been 25 years since i went to a meeting there.[I live in the USA now] But I really used to look forward to going there. Sometimes able to park under the trees at the back of the stands at the start of the front straight. Or if that was full across the road in a farmers field. Mostly close enough to go back for lunch and a beer from the boot. [My own beer n all!] It wasn,t that expensive to get into the pits either.I also liked to stroll around and gander at the nice cars some punters bought along, and yeah, the birds too. I don't get why no parking in the grounds.? you can get a lot of cars by that stretch between the hairpin and the stands i was talking about.Mind you back in the day that place got huge crowds. I remember the traffic que started before the township at times! I will be able to see the race on a delayed basis on Speed ch next week.Looking forward to it.

World Champion
    Unfortunately I don't think Mr Brown and the other major players in this sorry little saga are regular readers of the roaring season, so all this writing is falling on deaf ears!!!!!!

I don't know how ATEED (Auckland Council) are going to get their 50,000 bed nights that they based the ratepayer's investment on when they are effectively telling everyone who would drive to the ITM400 to stay away as there is no parking at the venue and surrounding roads have parking restrictions.

This is what they say about travelling by car :

Travel by car

To reduce congestion for people driving to the event please consider the following recommendations:

If you are driving to the venue from south of Pukekohe please use the Ramarama (exit 466) and Drury (exit 461) off-ramps.
    If you are travelling from the North please use the Bombay (exit 471, Mill Rd) off-ramps.
    If you are travelling by car, be aware that parking is not available at the venue. Public parking is available in the surrounding areas. Roads are expected to be busy so travel early.

There is limited mobility parking available at the raceway - refer to the website below.

Parking restrictions will be in place on the following roads:

Buckland Road - to the Buckland Road bridge
    Glasgow Road - bus parking only
    John Street South - from Kitchener Road to Nelson Street
    Kitchener Road - from Manukau Road to Tuakau Road
    Manukau Road - From Kitchener Road to Harris Street
    Station Road - From East Street to Yates Road
    Subway Road - From Station Road to Manukau

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think Mr Brown and the other major players in this sorry little saga are regular readers of the roaring season, so all this writing is falling on deaf ears!!!!!!
    No I'm sure you're right Gerald, but people like to vent their frustrations if possible. Besides, I know at least one journo from one of Aucklands major newspapers visits this site, and is probably reading this thread. And lets face it, the media have more power than politicians.