Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: PUKEKOHE

Carlo, Knowledge is a big word for Tony you might have to explain it to him, and as for commom sense, well he knows what a 'fact' is.

Those big barras make quite a big part of the track hard to park the car off the track , get out safely and almost impossible to climb over these high barriers.-as the drivers are told to exit the car when stopped on the track.
    So shifting them would be excellent common sense

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Those big barras make quite a big part of the track hard to park the car off the track , get out safely and almost impossible to climb over these high barriers.-as the drivers are told to exit the car when stopped on the track.
    So shifting them would be excellent common sense
    Yep hear ya guys loud and clear....pretty sure we all on the same page here. Hey Drifty...keep me in loop if these pages get a bit restless again. Kind regards, Tony Rutherford..

As a racer, personally I don't see any of it as an advantage to me. Basically I think they f#^*+D my home track!!!! And as usual they wont do anything to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    As a racer, personally I don't see any of it as an advantage to me. Basically I think they f#^*+D my home track!!!! And as usual they wont do anything to fix it!

George do not despair, a dickie bird told me that a couple of wheels have actually turned a revolution and hopefully will keep turning, we are fairly lucky that there are a couple of reasonable roosters involved and they have both experience and common sense on there side, lets hope they have success in there endevours.

Well I certainly wont hold my breath Rod, but to me that track is a NZ icon and it needs to be kept and was my favourite 1st equal with Baypark, and then Teratonga, probably just getting too long in the tooth!

Well Tony, if you get the flag points sorted out so we can park our vehicles a bit closer, and make sure that we get reasonable lunch breaks, and improve the flag points (easier access and some shelter), and ensure that there are some soft drinks available at the end of racing for us marshalls that have a couple of hours driving to get home.....then I shall return and eat humble pie in front of Anna!!!! Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by Jizim View Post
    Just a couple of things guys before you all go off a form a lynch mob....as I said early I thought the drainage issues were being sorted...well in fact they have. It did rain on the super tourer weekend and there was no puddling at all through the new turns 5, 6 and 7. So something is and has been done. As far as the Honda one hour race goes....the moment the first car went in just before the hairpin...the Safety Car was deployed and immediately the race was red flagged. There were a further seven cars that went in at near on the same place. Now I have done more competition miles around Pukekohe than most people I can think of and I have only ever seen a water bomb like this once before and that was at a six hour race. I favour wet weather driving and used to do a rain dance before meetings...but these weather bombs dump more water at one time and I can tell you the the track even before these upgrades with that amount of water on it has or had the same effect....there were eight or nine cars off at the pin back then! It all comes down to driving to the conditions. We could go another ten years and not see weather like that again....apart from the barriers down the back straight and the track being widened at turn one (a lot of folk dont know this..) and of course the new turns everything is the same as before. Me...personally....well I didnt really like the fact that they were changing the layout...in fact I would have preferred the old B & H layout where you hang a left on the front straight...but now I have gotten several laps and seemingly a hell of a lot more to come...under my belt, well I like it it. I have worked out the best line to take turn 6 (particularly in the wet) and if you dont you make turn 7 into a tighter corner as you witnessed the Honda's doing.......and that is on a high part of the track. So guys dont give up on Puke...I will push my barra for you to see if I can swing any weight to get the "inside" barriers maybe moved for the non Aussie meetings. Which should see a bit of off track parking should you break down..........These are by the way only my views. And as someone earlier mentioned...some of the driving standards from our boys need to be looked at before they are looked at if you get my drift. If you want to ask me anything that I can touch base on go for it ...but keep it seemly and constructive....Thanks for hearing me out. Kind regards, Tony Rutherford.

Well I certainly wont hold my breath Rod, but to me that track is a NZ icon and it needs to be kept and was my favourite 1st equal with Baypark, and then Teratonga, probably just getting too long in the tooth!
    Im with you George which although not my favorite track, its still a NZ icon like you say!! Im not sure of the ownership details but i can only guess that the wrong people own it "Horsee racing club i presume" and if that's the case they will want maximum "income" for the least amount of "expense" and in the meantime if cars get written off, hell!!! drive slower will be there answer i guess? but in the meantime please pay up!!

The real shame with Puke is that unlike most historic old race tracks, the likes of Laguna Sega for instance that have had "national Historic" status added to the land and its use!! they're allowed 7 open exhaust weekends per year which gets used up by the historic fraternity. I first went to Laguna in 1984 and have seen many upgrades and changes over time, this track has had modern safety added along with better facility's and so on and with housing getting closer this famous track was once on the brink of closure, can't say the same for puke. So what can be done to save Puke? light industrial is already on the northern boundary!!

Dale M

Levin, Puke,the old Manfeild with the tin fence along the back ,and Baypark when Graham Mcrae was out there with his F5000.But as we know Levin is gone they are building new houses on it now. Baypark gone,i dont think HD will get up there with the likes of Puke, Levin,Manfeild or Baypark so we do have to keep tracks like Puke going time will tell.

Hi Carlos, as you know, we had similar problems at levels a couple of seasons ago,ala, john McIntyre and clan going in the wall through the kink, now called the ice rink, on the run down the front straight.which has now been remedied .as a drainlayer, yes you are right, if the ground water height is high, or the ground holds water, and not free draining, there is still ways to improve the situation, not knowing too much about the construction, or work above and below ground(soil type etc), I am only going on what I have seen on tv and YouTube, but lets say for instance, the ground is saturated, a combination of novacoil pipe running into collection sumps/tanks, then pumped away from the troubled areas to a outfall or soakpit/pond, there is always away around these problems, and my guess is that there wasn't much thought gone into it, perhaps the concrete barriers on the left side going in to the hairpin need a series of holes bored through them to allow water to flow away from the track, I don't know,.but obviously some more work is required,.although I live in timaru, I will put my hand up and offer my services to help fix the situation, levels is my first love, but like lots of people have said, puke is an icon in nz motorsport.

Quote Originally Posted by paul lancaster View Post
    Hi Carlos, as you know, we had similar problems at levels a couple of seasons ago,ala, john McIntyre and clan going in the wall through the kink, now called the ice rink, on the run down the front straight.which has now been remedied .as a drainlayer, yes you are right, if the ground water height is high, or the ground holds water, and not free draining, there is still ways to improve the situation, not knowing too much about the construction, or work above and below ground(soil type etc), I am only going on what I have seen on tv and YouTube, but lets say for instance, the ground is saturated, a combination of novacoil pipe running into collection sumps/tanks, then pumped away from the troubled areas to a outfall or soakpit/pond, there is always away around these problems, and my guess is that there wasn't much thought gone into it, perhaps the concrete barriers on the left side going in to the hairpin need a series of holes bored through them to allow water to flow away from the track, I don't know,.but obviously some more work is required,.although I live in timaru, I will put my hand up and offer my services to help fix the situation, levels is my first love, but like lots of people have said, puke is an icon in nz motorsport.
    What a joke at what i saw on tv3 sport today with the ST race,and the walls around the place do they think someone is going to steal the place.

Just a safety query. Given that we have several drivers well past the first flush of youth, assuming you have to park against the barriers on the back straight, how on earth do you climb to safety? Or maybe the safety car has to be deployed with any and every minor hiccup, thus giving Tony more laps, but potentially, totally stuffing up every handicap race?

Just for starters, it looks to me that they need to not only shift the barriers back, but also remove the catch fencing along the top, where it isn't required. (ie where there are no spectators in the vicinity.)
    Last edited by ERC; 06-02-2013 at 06:38 AM.

The Dickie Bird has flapped a couple of wings and deposited some information in right direction and hopefully the wheels will keep turning.
    Apparently some drainage has already been looked at so lets wait and see.

After watching the Super Dodgems on TV3, Those concrete barriers have to go, especially down the back straight, what do they do except block spectators vision but more importantly expose broken down cars (and as ERC says broken down drivers) to danger by leaving no where to pull off.
    Also get them off from the hairpin to start finish line and away from sweeper.
    That should just about cover it.

Also the Dickie bird explained why no live coverage, it is a ridiculous amount they want for live coverage and Super Tourers management feel it is better spent among other class's. Sounds good to me if this is true, a very positive step.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 06-04-2013 at 08:10 AM.

So lets see if I get this right, SkyTV or TVNZ, TV3 have to purchase the rights to motorsport events like F1, MotoGP etc yet local motorsport have to pay them to get any coverage??? WHAT THE F
    While having b about TV coverage why is it when we pay SkyTV do we get commercials and not just self promotion stuff I would think if the have commercials then we should not have to pay for the service.....or just have no ads other than self promotion like when it first started.
    Last edited by nzeder; 06-04-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    The Dickie Bird has flapped a couple of wings and deposited some information in right direction and hopefully the wheels will keep turning.
    Apparently some drainage has already been looked at so lets wait and see.

After watching the Super Dodgems on TV3, Those concrete barriers have to go, especially down the back straight, what do they do except block spectators vision but more importantly expose broken down cars (and as ERC says broken down drivers) to danger by leaving no where to pull off.
    Also get them off from the hairpin to start finish line and away from sweeper.
    That should just about cover it.

Also the Dickie bird explained why no live coverage, it is a ridiculous amount they want for live coverage and Super Tourers management feel it is better spent among other class's. Sounds good to me if this is true, a very positive step.
    TV3 last weekend,yes you could see the water on the track & the puke river,you could also see that wall at the sweeper as they turn right,a tin top driver may get away with it and still have his legs.But say a f5000went in on full song think of that for a minute.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    TV3 last weekend,yes you could see the water on the track & the puke river,you could also see that wall at the sweeper as they turn right,a tin top driver may get away with it and still have his legs.But say a f5000went in on full song think of that for a minute.
    Pukekohe rears its ugly head again. I see the the Super Tourers are not going to open their series due to drainage problems and car damage. Going to Hampton Downs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Pukekohe rears its ugly head again. I see the the Super Tourers are not going to open their series due to drainage problems and car damage. Going to Hampton Downs instead.
    So what has been done so far about this water on the track.

Yes, Custaxie50, I agree with you that some public relations in regards water and drainage is needed.

I have been reliably informed that summer is coming and therefore the water will evaporate...lol

Heard some one went to meeting (club I believe), paid entry 3 races, of 6 laps and did total of 9 laps racing and rest following around infile, or red flag and thats it. Wall damage and because cars were on track with no where to pull off or go, real good.
    So with practice (4 laps as long as no one stops) and 9 race laps expensive per lap. Mind you think of the savings on tyres, petrol, engine.
    If you want mileage, get a job driving safety car, it does most.