Thread: PUKEKOHE

Rod- have sent you a pm.

Did not seem to get it at home last night John

grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Did not seem to get it at home last night John

grimmie64@xtra.co.nz
    Rod-Have sent now, mate.

In relation to safety fences, I have just been reading about the "Syd Jensen" design when he was in charge at Levin in the 70s .
    Jim Richards GTHO was saved from major head on damage, and several Formula As including Frank Gardner also had minor damage.
    These seem to be a much safer impact resistant than the current concrete canyons.
    Is anyone from Levin or racing at that time have any memories of its effectiveness?
    Basically was a sliding mesh fence

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    In relation to safety fences, I have just been reading about the "Syd Jensen" design when he was in charge at Levin in the 70s .
    Jim Richards GTHO was saved from major head on damage, and several Formula As including Frank Gardner also had minor damage.
    These seem to be a much safer impact resistant than the current concrete canyons.
    Is anyone from Levin or racing at that time have any memories of its effectiveness?
    I was pleased Syd didn't make the fence too high as I was able to leap it inverted in a Formula Ford without getting my head caught in the netting.

Grant- and if if wasnt that fence, instead ,a high Pukekohe concrete barrier what would have happened?

Grant- and if if wasnt that fence, instead ,a high Pukekohe concrete barrier what would have happened?
    Might have needed a new helmet!

Grant ,,,,, a bit off the thread ..... not many people know about you & Bob [ex Tga Exhaust shop]building the Ray FF............It was a piece of art ,, you might remember I put my name up for one ,but ended up getting the SI SCANZ car after Bob got very sick .. Kind Regards Grant ...........

Semi-Pro Racer
    Similar memories to yours, John
    What I do remember is the overseas drivers being very anti about it when they first saw. ISTR Gardner was particularly vocal - until after he'd involuntarily tried it out
    The system wasn't used for long - don't know why

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Grant ,,,,, a bit off the thread ..... not many people know about you & Bob [ex Tga Exhaust shop]building the Ray FF............It was a piece of art ,, you might remember I put my name up for one ,but ended up getting the SI SCANZ car after Bob got very sick .. Kind Regards Grant ...........
    Hi Grant, Bob Kiddle was a great welder and fabricator. That deal with Ray UK to build cars under license in NZ just fell apart when Bob passed away. Initially we imported a complete new UK car for Mike Hannel and used that car to make the jigs. The second (NZ) car went to Australia, did pretty well as far as I can recall. Jigs remained In NZ, Russ Cunningham probably knows exactly where the various bits and pieces are! Shame you didn't do the single-seater route, like JR would have been a successful experience I'm sure.

This is what happens with these concrete barriers now,this is coming on to the back straight,this car would of just spun round on the grass and then been able to carry on with no damage or possible injury.Name:  Swift crash 1.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  91.1 KBName:  Swift crash 2.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  92.6 KBName:  Swift crash 3.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  109.2 KBName:  Swift crash 4.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  113.1 KB

Don't wish to divert the thread here, but just how much can you see from the hill stand now of Railway, or of the back straight for that matter?
    A couple of years ago the V8 oligarchs stamped and postured, and demanded they turn the stadium part of Wanneroo into a concrete canyon like this, and now you can see bugger-all, at what used to be a great spectator circuit.
    Bastards.
    Last edited by GD66; 08-20-2013 at 04:51 AM.

It is an absolute canyon.
    When the car stops ,rules say you must exit the car- so where the hell do you go, cant climb over the fence with that overhang

GD66 You are not diverting the thread at all, this is what it started about and one of the gripes with the concrete crap and fences, you can not see nothing but roofs. As shown above, just roots cars when there is no need as seen above. I have seen (and done it myself) a lot of cars spin here get on grass gather it together and head on off down the track with nothing but damaged pride. (oh and little skiddy marks on grass, so what)
    These photos sum up the utter balls up they have made with the left over rubbish from Hamilton that they had to put somewhere, well I suggest a good place to put them would be up the arse kyourmother for sixpence of the morons who insisted on them being there in the first place. I will gladly donate to the drum of Vaseline and even hire a front end loader to it.
    Yep sorry but I am pissed with this whole set up
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 08-20-2013 at 02:00 AM.

This was in practice back in early 80s, Guy still walks properly now, gathered it up on grass and headed off down straight for another go. Imagine if he did this now. Mind you he wouldn't do this now as he will not go near the place in anything and not even to sit in hill stand will chilly bin because 1 you can't have a chilly bin any more, 2 you can only see a little bit of track and is not interested in looking at roofs.
    Concrete and strategically placed bridges are just awesome for viewing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

impact obsorbing barriers at work
    Last edited by rogered; 09-23-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Put a idiot in a car that is a triumph of engineering over design and thats what you get, I think he wet his pants, but we will never know!
    Roger

I think the design of those barriers didn't help....
    Incidently, some of the unused Hamilton barriers are now in the Waioeka Gorge, protecting bits of SH2 from rockfalls.....

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I think the design of those barriers didn't help....
    Incidently, some of the unused Hamilton barriers are now in the Waioeka Gorge, protecting bits of SH2 from rockfalls.....
    There are also some doing the same job just south of Mokau on the way to New Plymouth painted with Holden on them which were used on the Founders theatre corner for the ITM 400 at Hamilton. What a deal Cochrane and his cronies got and they didn't use them all. Perhaps a ploy to prevent HD from getting their hands on them. Another underarm incident!!!

Dave Graham

Can we get in touch with the LTNZ and tell them to take the rest from Pukekohe for the gorges, be helping 2 lots out. The NZ motorist/tourist on the road and motorsport at the track.