Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: PUKEKOHE

Um, having experienced today's impact with the concrete walls at a closer then desired position (I was flagging right there!), can I now withdraw my objections to the "concrete jungle".
    I think if there had been the old armco and posts, then we would have had a much more serious incident.
    I now know that the old brown stains in your pants story is just a myth....and I can still run!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Rather than some of the answers posted... I was told by someone on the inside of the deal that either our friend Mr Cochrane or the V8 Supercar organisation bought the barriers from Hamilton at a very low price, then passed them on to Auckland City/Pukekohe for a substantial profit and insisted on their use. This has never been officially confirmed nor denied. I would be interested to know the real truth though
    100% correct

The damage infected on DJR #17 just shows the damage caused by these barriers. It is a race track for crying out loud not a street circuit. Check out the other circuits they race on and hello not a lot of barriers there. Politics in the true sense of the word.
    Dave Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Um, having experienced today's impact with the concrete walls at a closer then desired position (I was flagging right there!), can I now withdraw my objections to the "concrete jungle".
    There is a distinct difference between siting them where they will do some good (as you point out) and lining both sides of what is a fairly narrow back straight and therefore preventing failing cars from parking safely, well out of the way.

If there is one criticism that probably does need addressing, it is the time taken to recover stricken vehicles and get them to a place of safety so that racing can continue.

ain't it good to see HENRY take out the round win in NZ although young Scott McLauglin put up a great performance from what I've seen on the the tv. Regardless it's good to see Kiwi's taking it to the Ozzies. Pity about the Chiefs though

Very pleased to see Scotty get second, first would have been magic, in the final race, the barriers - the track looks way different because of them, not like it was in 1983 when I last raced there, the Jag Drivers Le Mans teams relay race, or even a track day in 2004 with the MX5 club, the basic track still is the same, remember every corner, what about when the loop was still there, hard left after the start, and take out the stables if not careful.. memories ..

Seen cars skid down the inside on grass, clip bank and then continue back over track onto grass on outside and then spin off across what used to be a big vacant grass land with out that damage/impact. There are some places for the concrete barriers, but not right next the track with no where to go. 4 NZed cars rattling into each other on what is left of grass, but behind that little bit of grass is more concrete barriers (for storage) on grass run off.

Mind you that was a very nasty accident Malcolm, and as you say, you were in the firing line, you do a grand job, do you ever just watch or always swinging a flag.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 04-28-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Firing line...the first bit of wall he hit on our side was a few inches along from the opening for our flags so almost beautifly aimed!
    Um Grimmie, how do you spectate? Never tried it before - I'm afraid I might enjoy it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Seen cars skid down the inside on grass, clip bank and then continue back over track onto grass on outside and then spin off across what used to be a big vacant grass land with out that damage/impact. There are some places for the concrete barriers, but not right next the track with no where to go. 4 NZed cars rattling into each other on what is left of grass, but behind that little bit of grass is more concrete barriers (for storage) on grass run off.

Mind you that was a very nasty accident Malcolm, and as you say, you were in the firing line, you do a grand job, do you ever just watch or always swinging a flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty5 View Post
    It is a race track for crying out loud not a street circuit. Check out the other circuits they race on and hello not a lot of barriers there.

Bang on, mate. Winton, anyone ?

A permanent circuit has no excuse for no run off areas. It is safer for all and it's all very well containing the car in a concrete tunnel, but how many times have we seen cars badly damaged both sides, back and front after bouncing off the concrete?

One could argue that even in the lower echelons of the sport, something more substantial than a roll over hoop and backstays bolted into a classic car are no longer advisable at some of these tracks, but a full cage, (thus totally destroying the originality, usability and enjoyment of driving on the road and also therefore the value) is almost essential.

Permanent circuits should be as safe as possible and you only have to look at Foggy's crash at Highland Park to see a classic example of extremely poor track design. Zero run off at the very a point on the track where a bit of a safety margin would be useful, not just whilst racing, but also in the event of a stalled car at the start. Hampton Downs at least doesn't have the final corner surrounded by close concrete, but again, the start finish line has no real safety margin trackside either.

I read a comment from Dick Johnson, after the binning of his car, bemoaning the concrete barriers and questioning whether a better alternative was available. (see he is now having to build a new chassis for the next round).
    Now whist that is never going to be a good area to come unstuck, I do thing other traditional runoff areas should be opened up again.
    The inside of railway exit first comes to mind.

I was realy surprised at how many cars in the V8 supercars couldn't stop at back of circuit and had to go through the chicane.
    Is the chicane too open.

Most seemed to regain the track without losing position. Is this fair? They have made a mistake so should be punished.
    I think there used to be a rule that you had to re-enter the track as close as possible to where you left it.
    Having only seen the V8 supercars, I'm wondering if this is common at this circuit?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    I was realy surprised at how many cars in the V8 supercars couldn't stop at back of circuit and had to go through the chicane.
    Is the chicane too open.

Most seemed to regain the track without losing position. Is this fair? They have made a mistake so should be punished.
    I think there used to be a rule that you had to re-enter the track as close as possible to where you left it.
    Having only seen the V8 supercars, I'm wondering if this is common at this circuit?
    It happened in all the classes - just have to rejoin in the same position as you left it. Same rule as for F1.

Was the damage to the DJR #17 worse than the almost identical Paul Morris shunt in 2007 (except the Armco launched Morris into a series of flips. Video here.

Without really knowing facts, it would seem to me watching the attached video, that while Paul rolled, and perhaps the Armco contributed, there seemed to be some softening of the impact which the Cockroach barriers don't do.

I wouldn't call it a chicane. It is two new corners. However, the tyre barriers on the escape road do form a chicane.

The video explains it all. Same sort of accident, even to the cause of it, impact partly obsorbed by fence, and bet it was easier to repair than DJR's car.

The video explains it all. Same sort of accident, even to the cause of it, impact partly obsorbed by fence, and bet it was easier to repair than DJR's car.
    Having raced at Puke and clobbered a few solid objects there in my limited racing career, I am just amazed that someone would put more solid targets for anyone to attack. It just looks like a street track now, not the wonderfully flowing road course of yesteryear.
    Rod, have to agree with all your criticisms.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Might be a close run thing, as far as repair cost/complexity goes, according to this 2007 news item.

All body panels on the car, plus front and rear suspension, and the differential were destroyed in the crash, and the chassis rail was partially bent.

Initial cost estimates for damage are a minimum $100,000. The figure could be doubled if further assessments reveal the engine and gearbox are damaged beyond repair.

Journeyman Racer
    These photo's really sum up the old Pukekohe... Lots of room and so casual you could lie on the infield near the track !
    Meanwhile the BMW's are going hard out and a Fiat is already parked on the railway tracks
    Name:  Ah the wide open spaces.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  59.9 KB
    Name:  Relax and watch.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  57.6 KB

and note the position of the marshal's post!!! I remember flagging there at the first truck meeting and we retreated about 30m as we deemed it too dangerous...