Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PUKEKOHE

Having read both Sunday papers around here (Star Times & Herald), it seem that the print media couldn't care less about the racing, no matter how good it was. I think it was the Star times that confined the Saturday racing to the results only section.

If it wasn't for the TV3 coverage, we'd know diddly squat. The poster who said it is all geared for TV was probably correct and if you read the book about Bernie E, you'll note that selling TV rights or getting the hosts to pay for the circus to come, is where the real money is. Spectators aren't a consideration, as the spectator income is the only way the hosts can recoup their outlay.

The support programmne has been praised but the starting field for a greyhound race gets more column centimetres.

Even the Indian F1 GP hardly rated a mention in the Herald. Without the print media doing its bit, we'll never get the crowds to any race meeting, so I am not sure how the Super Car crowds will really stack up.

yes kiwiboss central muscle cars have it all over what we run in nz bar one f5000 ,and after what we saw last weekend supertourers are up there also.getting back to muscle cars they have more hp than super cars and supertourers some pre 65 cars also have more hp but dont handle that good,just look back at what baypark got up to they started all this big hp car thing a5000 cars big hp cars from australia and the usa.if you want to get them in the gate put more of this racing on ,not all this jap and bmw shit that mum takes to the shops,but this is not 1972 its 2012 with all this mothers milk cant do this cant do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Having read both Sunday papers around here (Star Times & Herald), it seem that the print media couldn't care less about the racing, no matter how good it was. I think it was the Star times that confined the Saturday racing to the results only section.

If it wasn't for the TV3 coverage, we'd know diddly squat. The poster who said it is all geared for TV was probably correct and if you read the book about Bernie E, you'll note that selling TV rights or getting the hosts to pay for the circus to come, is where the real money is. Spectators aren't a consideration, as the spectator income is the only way the hosts can recoup their outlay.

The support programmne has been praised but the starting field for a greyhound race gets more column centimetres.

Even the Indian F1 GP hardly rated a mention in the Herald. Without the print media doing its bit, we'll never get the crowds to any race meeting, so I am not sure how the Super Car crowds will really stack up.
    Maybe thats an excellent reason why print media is going to the wall. They are extremely biased in their reporting and thoroughly deserve to lose patronage. If it wasn't for the internet we would struggle to find any info on overseas motorsport events. But it certainly doesn't help get casual punters to an event anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    yes kiwiboss central muscle cars have it all over what we run in nz bar one f5000 ,and after what we saw last weekend supertourers are up there also.getting back to muscle cars they have more hp than super cars and supertourers some pre 65 cars also have more hp but dont handle that good,just look back at what baypark got up to they started all this big hp car thing a5000 cars big hp cars from australia and the usa.if you want to get them in the gate put more of this racing on ,not all this jap and bmw shit that mum takes to the shops,but this is not 1972 its 2012 with all this mothers milk cant do this cant do that.
    Yes Custaxie50, couldn't agree more and its as plan as daylight to see, the event promoters at these Tier 1 events should field Central, Supertourers, F5000, NZV8's and possibly GT1, just these 5 groups alone at one meeting, with some creative follow up advertising would surely pull the public, a promoters dream and what a spectacle it would be!! personally for me i only went to the first and last Hamilton V8 Supercars because i got free corporate tickets otherwise i don't go yet happy to pay $$ for Roycroft. And as Kiwi285 say's, the newspaper and advertising coverage is pathetic, TV's no good because its either on the day or after the event, too late to pull the punters!! We'll be having this discussion in another few years i bet.

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Yes Custaxie50, couldn't agree more and its as plan as daylight to see, the event promoters at these Tier 1 events should field Central, Supertourers, F5000, NZV8's and possibly GT1, just these 5 groups alone at one meeting, with some creative follow up advertising would surely pull the public, a promoters dream and what a spectacle it would be!! personally for me i only went to the first and last Hamilton V8 Supercars because i got free corporate tickets otherwise i don't go yet happy to pay $$ for Roycroft. And as Kiwi285 say's, the newspaper and advertising coverage is pathetic, TV's no good because its either on the day or after the event, too late to pull the punters!! We'll be having this discussion in another few years i bet.

Dale M
    Yes - it needs some promoters to get together with circuit operators and get a PR person involved (preferably with motorsport interests) and look for a interesting angle to promote these events before hand. I remember when race cars were paraded down the main street of Auckland on the backs of trucks to stir up some interest and it seemed to work.

The Baypark promoters knew a thing or two and managed to stir the holiday crowds into action and to their other events. Fans were eager to see who was being brought in to make the event a 'must see' meeting.

I believe that getting car clubs to become involved in the Festival events will help get the message to a wider audience and promote attendance.
    Last edited by kiwi285; 11-01-2012 at 12:13 AM.

just had a look on tv3 at the supercars at abu dhabi not too fast is it,i had time to count the ones in the grandstand.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    just had a look on tv3 at the supercars at abu dhabi not too fast is it,i had time to count the ones in the grandstand.
    Yeah, agree!! atleast NZ not the only country where no one turns up to watch Motorsport!! hmmmm

Dale M

why the hell did they put the last supercar race on so late ,i fell a sleep just before it started maybe could be played again this coming sunday.

Yeah, agree!! atleast NZ not the only country where no one turns up to watch Motorsport!! hmmmm

Dale M
    Why would you want to waste your time - they are not far removed from our manufactured Supertourers. And some NZ commentators still refer to them as Fords and Holdens !!!!!
    Last edited by kiwi285; 11-13-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Why would you want to waste your time - your are not far removed from our manufactured Supertourers. And some NZ commentators still refer to them as Fords and Holdens !!!!!
    Not only commentators, I work for a guy who calls himself a petrolhead and he claims the Supertourers and the Oz cars still are roadcar based, and has to gloat when a Holden wins. (Not that I back Fords except to annoy him)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Not only commentators, I work for a guy who calls himself a petrolhead and he claims the Supertourers and the Oz cars still are roadcar based, and has to gloat when a Holden wins. (Not that I back Fords except to annoy him)
    Makes you wonder if they would know one end or a car from the other. Is this what modern motorsport is all about ???

Completely OT, I was at a car club event in which the participants were asked to vote, Best American best British etc, and the car which got the most votes (until the judges intervened) for Best Italian was....... Aston Martin DB9

Dale M
    Don't forget the financial side Dale. Read the Bower book on Ecclestone. It is an education as to how top level motorsport works and by top level, I include the Aussie V8s. Bodies through the gate are irrelevant. Selling the rights to host it and selling TV rights is what it is all about. Bernie E expanded into Asia quite deliberately as that is where the money is. The Euro Governments are broke and don't subsidise F1 races. Asia and the Arab States, particularly the Arab States are wealthy and looking long term as to how to attract more tourists. The Auckland council are really looking to promote the region but what they are prepared/able to pay is small change compared to the Internationals. Let us hope it works for them, though identifying the financial benefits for the region will be difficult to quantify, given that 80% (guess) of those paying to attend will be probably be local anyway.

"You want our circus here? You pay me megabucks and I'll bring it. I always win, maybe you lose? Tough."

any one know how far they have got with puke ,any photos of the work that has being done so far.now i know and see it on tv,auckland big little city but it should read-the little horse that cant.

One of our guys walks his dog down there most days. I'll ask him to take pics and keep us informed!

Good on you erc,its always good to keep the iron hot and keep the puke thing going .So i hope your mate can put some photos up thanks.

now here we go again,it looks like the supertourers will not be coming to manfeild.now what i saw in the paper today,it said we had firm expectation of maintaining a round on march 16&17, v8st managing director mark petch had been in discussion with manfeild park and specified that date they would be at manfeild .now i do understand that the supercars will be at the melbourne f1 march next year and some of the drivers who race supertourers can not race so what, get around the table how hard would it be to work this one out theres more drivers out there who could do the job maybe better , now who would i try and get ken smith would be one it looks like paul radisich would like to have a go at it ,how about some more formula ford drivers having a test to see if they are up to speed in a supertourer. what about taking a leaf out of what baypark would do get some name drivers out of the usa also ,give them a test run to see if they can do the job why put up with drivers who sometimes they can and sometimes they cant
    Last edited by CUSTAXIE50; 11-16-2012 at 01:38 AM.

They're so bloody boring who cares anyway?

Do i have this right shano-semi-pro racer,you do some racing is that right what class would this be.if not what class of racing would you like to see more of and is not boring.

Personal insults will not change the fact that the Super tourers are boring. Highly capable, fast, but boring. The spectacle they provide does not match the class they have decimated, the NZ V8s.

BTW, if you want to get into slinging insults, bring it on. But it is inadvisable.

Does this look familiar? "as kids did your mum not tell you to be nice.looking at what you have put up i would love to hear your views on christchurch and pike river mine,they say you can only do your best"
    Last edited by Shano; 11-16-2012 at 08:07 AM.