From Stuff website this morning.

Eddie Freeman has broken a second speed record at Ohakea Air Force Base today, beating the 16-year-old road registered speed record by 19kmh.

He managed to get his Lamborghini Superleggera up to 335kmh using standard petrol, beating the 316kmh benchmark set by Ray Williams' in 1996.

While Freeman got his heavily modified Lamborghini Superleggera up to 355.485kmh earlier today to break the overall land speed record, he was using C-16 aviation fuel.

The Aucklander beat the previous record of 348.23kmh, which was set in 1996 by Owen Evans.

To break the road registered record, he had to change to standard petrol.

Freeman said he was not aiming to go any faster this weekend.

''The simple fact is the car won't go much faster.

''The risk is greater than the reward.''

Freeman said earlier that the attempt had been two years in the planning.

"It's a long buildup for a short period of time."

Freeman was driving a heavily-modified Lamborghini Superleggera - worth more than $450,000 - down the Ohakea runway.

He was aiming to reach speeds in the high-300kmh zone.

The car hit 310kmh in the United States during testing, which Freeman said was not difficult to achieve.

"It's not the extreme limits of the vehicle."

Ohakea was chosen after other options fell through.

"We tried really hard to get Auckland Airport because it's the longest runway in the country, but they didn't want to have a bar of it.

"The road, which was used for previous attempts, at the speeds we're hoping to achieve . . . it was going to be pretty dangerous.

"If anything goes wrong you could almost guarantee for it to be all over."

Tackling the record was partly because it would be achievable in his car.

"I thought it was a level which was achievable in a modified car, while in most countries you need to be in a rocket."

Not everyone has the money to splash out on fast modified cars, but Freeman owns FreemanX Supercars, which leases out fast cars.

"I'm fortunate to have a business . . . so I can have the cars to launch a challenge."

While the project had cost a fair amount of money, Freeman said he did not want to put a dollar figure on it.

"You can put a price on things and measure the money spent, but with this project I didn't try put a dollar figure on it. It takes away from the passion and the work and the heart behind the project."