Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Bruce Wells Collection - Oran Park - Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Huge crowds. Huge diversity in the types of cars being raced. I wonder if the two are related?
    Probably a very high co-relationship!

The wheels on the Lark are interesting,they appear to have knock off centre nuts ? I guess judging by the other cars including the modified FE Holden ( Bruce McPhee ? ) they may be competing in the old Appendix K formulae.

Pete.
    Last edited by mid-year; 10-27-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Yeah I wondered the same thing Pete. They look a little wider than standard too. David Blanch has this photo over at Autopics, and I wondered if it might be the same car.

Name:  64074.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  49.9 KB

That is a better angle,if I were to hazard a guess I would say they are a rare set of Halibrand " kidney-bean " centre lock wheels similar to what was used on the 1957 Sebring Corvette SS racer.

Pete.
    Last edited by mid-year; 10-27-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    Huge crowds. Huge diversity in the types of cars being raced. I wonder if the two are related?
    In my book, yes!

However, if you look at crowds at many sporting events 40/50 years ago, they were huge because most events were affordable and there were fewer events anyway. UK soccer crowds for example in the mid 1950's, even for a second division game, were also huge, but the entry fee was pocket money. Nowadays, it is a luxury spend!

We went to Mallory Park for Bank Holiday meetings by coach, as we didn't have a family car, so entertainment options were fewer, but the variety of cars was amazing - with the singular exception of the up to 1300cc sports/GT class, which was often 13 Lotus Elites and a solitary Turner! Not sure about the relative levels of car ownership in Australia and NZ, but from what I have seen of Ardmore pics and even 1963 Pukekohe, many of the crowd must have arrived by public transport.

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    That is a better angle,if I were to hazard a guess I would say they are a rare set of Halibrand " kidney-bean " centre lock wheels similar to what was used on the Sebring Corvette SS racer.

Pete.
    You could well be right Pete. If that were the case, they're incredibly exotic for the period.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    In my book, yes!

However, if you look at crowds at many sporting events 40/50 years ago, they were huge because most events were affordable and there were fewer events anyway. UK soccer crowds for example in the mid 1950's, even for a second division game, were also huge, but the entry fee was pocket money. Nowadays, it is a luxury spend!

We went to Mallory Park for Bank Holiday meetings by coach, as we didn't have a family car, so entertainment options were fewer, but the variety of cars was amazing - with the singular exception of the up to 1300cc sports/GT class, which was often 13 Lotus Elites and a solitary Turner! Not sure about the relative levels of car ownership in Australia and NZ, but from what I have seen of Ardmore pics and even 1963 Pukekohe, many of the crowd must have arrived by public transport.
    Well I do know that there were special trains to Puke from both North and South. I also know that there were major traffic jams for the Ardmore meetings so there must have been pretty significant private car use.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    You could well be right Pete. If that were the case, they're incredibly exotic for the period.
    Fascinating car,it has N.S.W. on the back guard as was done in the period but it is impossible to make out the drivers name on the front guard,maybe Dale could shed some light on it ?

Pete.

Pete, I went and did a bit of digging and found the results for the race the Stude appears in above at Sandown. Drivers were Roger Ward and Warren Weldon. It was the Sandown 6 Hour race in 1964. Weldon was a regular in Studebakers in the early/mid 60s, but his were standard production cars. I actually get the feeling this car was owned by Roger Ward, as his name appears first in the driver pairing. But I can't seem to find any reference to any of his other racing activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Great detective work Steve,I wonder if it had the factory supercharged engine ? it certainly had special wheels so it must have been a pretty trick car for the day. love the Davidson/Baillie 427 Galaxie that went thru the fence at the end of the straight during that race!

Pete.

Thanks Pete. I'm sure I've seen aftermath photos of the Galaxie after it went through the fence. Did it run out of brakes?

Yes thats right the big drums could not cope with the hot pace of the race and Lex Davidson had no choice but to go straight ahead thru the wooden fencing at the end of the straight. Apparently the car was picked up direct from the wharf and with several motoring journalists on board driven ( unmuffled and unregistered ) straight to Sandown and on to the track with everone onboard to give the class lap record a shake up ! Great Car.
    Pete.

Bert Needham Commander

Bert Needham,s 2 Dr. Commander at Catalina Park also sporting centre-lock wheels plus factory disc brakes.LSD.tacho and R4 race spec engine. I wonder if it is the same car as the Roger Ward 2 door.

Pete.Name:  bert64r4commander-catalina.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  57.4 KB

Wow, nice photo! It really clearly shows those wheels. The Needham Stude appears to be a later model than the one(s) shown earlier, it has the more simple nose with headlights and grill all integrated.

More from OP, September 1965.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  73.6 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  94.7 KB

I just love those specials. Maybe part of my dna is held together with number 8 wire because they appeal hugely.

Yeah I agree Shane, just fantastic looking cars, and loads of character.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I would say that #31 is a Jolus and in the last shot #73 is the Nota Din. Holden grey engined special that was used a lot for hillclimbing.
    I hope the supply of these photos doesn't end.
    Dale.

Thanks Dale, great stuff!