Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Denny Hulme and The Roaring Season members time spent with him throughout the years.

I first met Denny Hulme in Tokoroa around 1984 when I worked for NZFP. A colleague of mine worked for Komatsu so he brought him over to visit the site. Had lunch with him at the Kinleith Hilton (site cafeteria!). Asked a truckload of questions about some of the plant (given his penchant for things mechanical). Took him up to the 900hp chipper where it turned mature logs into pulp chips. His comment "thats got more grunt than my Yardley but not as good looking". Found him to be a man of few words and endeavoured to make knowledgable conversation with him. Next time I met him was at Bathurst when I was crewing for Petch Motorsport, 1987 I think. He remember the visit to my work and we had a great discussion about the circus that is the Bathurst 1000. As a kid back in the 50's & 60's he was one of my idols and just great to meet with him. Was absolutely shattered when watching his final metres in '92. Another great Kiwi no longer with us but the memories live on.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post

Marshalling at Pukekohe for the first truck meeting was terrifying! We retreated up the bank from our marshal's post about 30 metres. Can anyone supply the exact date as I don't seem to have a race programme? (Marshals never got such luxuries as a race programme - or even a drink in those days... I don't think we even got a lunch break at most meetings.) I have several pics of the era but dating them is impossible, so I might post one or two in a new thread, asking for dates, as many of you will have programmes and I file all my pics by date.
    Attachment 12496

The date of the first NZ Truck Grand Prix was April 22 and 23 1989.

That`s right Milan, Robbie Francevic won the NZ Truck Grand Prix driving the Aussie Volvo. I thought the question ERC asked was relevant to the following year when it became a three round series being Pukekohe, Baypark and Ruapuna, when Denny drove the `ETA Ripples' bonneted Scania.

I was fortunate enough to meet Mr Hulme when he raced the ACB Commodore with Ray Smith 85/86? A friend of mine worked for Lyall Williamson, and somehow we got free tickets to watch at Pukekohe. As the Commodore was an early retirement (fuel tank ruptured?), the crew packed most of the gear up early. However, at the conclusion of the meeting there was a BBQ, and as we were hungry teenage boys, we hung around for a free meal. I was exceptionally lucky to speak to Mr Hulme, and asked a few questions about the car. I had heard of his reputation for being a bit gruff, however he couldnt have been more approachable - explaining to me a few of the technical aspects of the car, and of his disappointment at the non finish. Some of his comments were quite entertaining, and I spoke to him for about 10 minutes before someone more important required his attention. I couldnt believe afterwards that, I had actually been so lucky to speak to a real F1 World Champion.

Name:  Denny jesse alexander.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  91.5 KB

Pic by Jesse Alexander.

Did anyone grab a photo of Dennys race truck from the weekend? Looked really nice!

Sorry no photo of race truck, but a nice house for sale.
    http://www.wowhaus.co.uk/2015/06/17/...bridge-surrey/

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Name:  Denny jesse alexander.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  91.5 KB

Pic by Jesse Alexander.
    Cool photo GD66
    I had never noticed that Denny had the Marlboro symbol ground into his upper teeth!
    Attached Images Attached Images