Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Denny Hulme and The Roaring Season members time spent with him throughout the years.

And before I get in trouble, thanks to Colin Irwin for the Smashfest photos.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Steve, in reference to your Te Marua Camaro comments. Earlier this year while up in Japan visiting one of the lease companys I buy a lot of machinery off, there was an ex Dutch Embassy LHD Bentley Turbo R sitting out the back with a buggered rear suspension that was far too expensive for them to repair. After some serious negoiations, they actually gave me the car because ` Mr Steve san you always buy many units and no problem for us. Bentley big problem for us" On returning to NZ I spoke to current Waikaraka Park promoters Bruce Robertson from Palmerston North and Frank Irvine from Auckland, and did a deal with them. They already had the Rolls Royce for Frank to drive in the Easter `Smashfest' and the Bentley was the icing on the cake.
    The deal we did was to enable me to raise a chunk of money for my cousin Sophie Elliott who was murdered in Dunedin about four years ago, for her mother Lesley who had started the `Sophie Elliott Foundation'. ( google will tell you all about it).
    Anyway, with it being well promoted and with us doing a segment on TV3 News the Friday night prior to wrecking them on the Saturday Night, the size of the crowd was unbelieveable. They held the start of the nights entertainment up twice so the punters could try and get in, and even when the actual Demolition Derby started around 9.30, people were still trying to get in! Mate I had a ball, many people will never own one and here I was smashing one up and loving every minute of it! As with HMC it shows that the cars are the stars and if you`re going to put on an event, get everyone involved on the same page!
    Thanks Steve, thats an amazing story! Definitely worth telling, and definitely a great cause. Thanks for posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Attachment 12471

This Lola ?

Pic by John Starkey.
    I am sure it is the same car but the shot I remember was taken of the car coming over a rise like the hill at Pukekohe and three quarters right front view.

Thanks for sharing the photo too.

Denny Hulme pics

Mallory Park 1966 in the Sid Taylor Lola, getting it a bit wrong at the hairpin (Shaw's Corner). My favourite UK viewing spot until Donington reopened. Oh how I wish I had an SLR, even a long lens, in those days - and a modern SLR digital camera... Pics taken on Dad's old Leica.

Name:  166_0529_06.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  116.5 KB

He must have won...

Name:  166_0411_10.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  88.0 KB

Marshalling at Pukekohe for the first truck meeting was terrifying! We retreated up the bank from our marshal's post about 30 metres. Can anyone supply the exact date as I don't seem to have a race programme? (Marshals never got such luxuries as a race programme - or even a drink in those days... I don't think we even got a lunch break at most meetings.) I have several pics of the era but dating them is impossible, so I might post one or two in a new thread, asking for dates, as many of you will have programmes and I file all my pics by date.
    Name:  190_truckb.jpg
Views: 2281
Size:  126.9 KB

Note the incorrect spelling. It should be Denis Hulme, not Dennis. 2009 Goodwood.
    Name:  209_0918_134.JPG
Views: 1595
Size:  134.0 KB

We travelled to Europe with Greta Hulme earlier this year. What a delightful lady - with many tales to tell...
    Last edited by ERC; 10-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Given the cost and manpower of building a Rolls Royce radiator grille, so sad to see them in a smashfest. The cars may rot, and have no real value for the shell, but that grille looked mint.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Note the incorrect spelling. It should be Denis Hulme, not Dennis.

And as Denny used to point out, 'It's pronounced Hullm, not Hyoom"...

To ERC: The photo of the damage to Dennys Scania was not his doing. This truck was built in the UK and bought for Denny to race here in the 1990 Caltex series which was run during April 1990. The pom that was in charge of the truck in the UK, Andy Young, came out to NZ to `help' Denny. This damage was the result of him doing a few laps of Puke by himself `making sure' all was good to go. He overshot the esses going over to railway corner and fired it into the dirt berm that used to be there ( hence the dirt on the truck).
    In reference to your comment about the Rolls grille, they took it out just prior to the actual Demo Derby, so you can sleep well tonight! As for the Bentley, I did to that car what Adam did to Eve, and enjoyed every minute of it!
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 10-28-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Note the incorrect spelling. It should be Denis Hulme, not Dennis. 2009 Goodwood.

We travelled to Europe with Greta Hulme earlier this year. What a delightful lady - with many tales to tell...[/QUOTE]

I believe that this car was sold recently by Hall and Hall. Be great to see that car here at the Hulme Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Mallory Park 1966 in the Sid Taylor Lola, getting it a bit wrong at the hairpin (Shaw's Corner). My favourite UK viewing spot until Donington reopened. Oh how I wish I had an SLR, even a long lens, in those days - and a modern SLR digital camera... Pics taken on Dad's old Leica.

Name:  166_0529_06.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  116.5 KB

He must have won...

Name:  166_0411_10.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  88.0 KB

Marshalling at Pukekohe for the first truck meeting was terrifying! We retreated up the bank from our marshal's post about 30 metres. Can anyone supply the exact date as I don't seem to have a race programme? (Marshals never got such luxuries as a race programme - or even a drink in those days... I don't think we even got a lunch break at most meetings.) I have several pics of the era but dating them is impossible, so I might post one or two in a new thread, asking for dates, as many of you will have programmes and I file all my pics by date.
    Name:  190_truckb.jpg
Views: 2281
Size:  126.9 KB

We travelled to Europe with Greta Hulme earlier this year. What a delightful lady - with many tales to tell...
    Wow, what fantastic photos, especially the first shot at Mallory. Its not just modern race cars that lack the character of old, its the tracks also.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, what fantastic photos, especially the first shot at Mallory. Its not just modern race cars that lack the character of old, it's the tracks also.
    You should see the ones of that corner from 1956... The ones I have from then, Dad took. I think I took my first race pics three or four years later.

Thanks for #27. That pic was indeed taken on the Saturday, but I would still like to know the exact date, if anyone can assist. April 1990 isn't really close enough and although I kept a full diary from 1964 - 1970, I didn't start again until 1991!
    Last edited by ERC; 10-28-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Even in period the spelling was 'Dennis'...

Of course I meant to say, in my earlier post, that the tape will never be wiped.

So far very little about Denny has been printed, I met him at a school in Hamilton St Pauls ,Martin his 13 yr. old son was starting in form 3 alongside my son Geoffrey Martin .We parents met at a get together at the start of the yr.1979? the only thing I remember was Denny telling us about how he took his McLaren GP car to the previous school to show the kids how it went,on the football feild I presumed.Between TACCOC and the Jag club we had a meeting at Bay Park every 3 months approx. Would it not be a good idea have him bring it and run it with us? 3 or 4 cars of us arranged to meet him at his home by the lake near Rotorua not far from BP.We arrived at 11 oclock, sorry he has gone around the lake to look at a single cyld mtr. his latest hoby ,in the double garage at least 20 of these stationary mtrs covered the floor. At last we got together and on inviting him to bring his car to play with us he explaned, and he does not mix his words And who the hells going to pay to have the exhaust painted???and what about the clutch??? I do remember looking over and under my Mk 2 to compare it with what he raced in the UK The Coombs mods were rather rare,The next meeting that I recall was at Forest stadium where Geoff was competing ,Denny was there to watch and not long before he had been in Aussie driving one of the prewar Mercedes GP cars, well he was still bubbling with excitment and for the next 3 or 4 hours we chatted, well I manely sat with my mouth open,{two meetings two different men}.Over the yrs we met ??? times most of the time we spoke sometimes we didnt that was when he drove the black BMW .The last time I remember was at the airport I was waiting for my wife ,he had returned from driving a McLaren M8 or 6?at Road America or Leguna?I guess over 30 min he spent telling me about the Coombs Mk 2 that ran at the same meeting,this was not long before Bathurst,Quite strange he seamed very lonley and sad,I was sad to leave him,and who could blame him we no nothing to what he went through, and to have his only son killed in a stupid drowning was the last straw.Martin was a loveley boy, and it was quite funny when Geoff came home after the first spell at school ,it was Gee Dennys boy is a real sissy!!but as time went by they became great pals so much so Martin was Geoffs best man at his wedding and when his son was born he became Martin Short Another different story a friend of mine Colin McGregor was at Manfeild practising in a Golff?? driving with his son Grahame ,one corner he was having problems with so he asked Denny for some advice,Just follow me around he was told, each lap got faster and faster until Denny went clean off!! Later Colin walked past Denny and called Thanks Denny I think Ive got it

Brilliant story Jim, thanks for posting that.

Denis Hulme demonstration of M23 McLaren at Pukekohe 1976

Name:  Hulme Demo Puke 1976.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  Hulme McLaren M23 in Pits 1976.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  148.4 KB

Denny yarning with the boys in front of the tent. But also Mike Hailwood in the smooth shades behind the wing.

And is the car carrying an early-model "platypus" nose ?
    Last edited by GD66; 10-31-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Does anyone know if Dennys Scania race truck is going to be at the Festival?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    And as Denny used to point out, 'It's pronounced Hullm, not Hyoom"...
    Apparently Denny's father had a saying : 'Don't knock the "l" out of Hulme' . This came from an article in 'Motor Sport' by Adam Cooper who found himself in Te Puke while holidaying in NZ after an Australian GP in the 1990's(?) and enquired if there was any memorial to Denny. He was directed to Anita, Denny's sister, who worked nearby, and she in turn contacted Greeta in Tauranga.

An interesting story, I'll read it again when I find it - don't know which year and don't have an index, but I haven't thrown any copies out. Ever. Just stopped the subscription a couple of times when they got a bit boring.

Stu

Journeyman Racer

Denis with Greeta and Martin at Riverside around 1968

photo: Gary Knutson
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 12-23-2012 at 07:23 AM.

I was at Puke for the 1990 Peter Jackson International Series (are we allowed to mention tobacco companies in these forums?), and Denny was chating to Paul Radisich and commenting about all these modern drivers and their dark tinted helmet visors! He said that the only time he wore a tinted visor was when the weather was a bit dark, and then he use to wear an amber tinted visor.
    Only time I met him.

Yep Malcolm, tobacco talk on here is just fine. None of that political correctness bs required here.