Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baypark Raceway, 67 to 95, RIP

Baypark Raceway, 67 to 95, RIP

This interesting picture is from the Rorison Family showing their truck fleet in the foreground and Baypark behind, not many pictures around that show the overall size of Baypark, taken in the early 80's i've been told!! Parents were involved with the speedway track in the middle in the early 70's, great memorys(but im sure most have?) and what about Graham Pierce and Peter Hanna, nows there's two characters if there ever was!!

Dale Mathers
    Tauranga, NZ
    Attached Images Attached Images  

An amazing photo Dale. Like so many great tracks, its all houses now.....

That photo brings back many memories, although back in the early days all the cleared land was in trees, where the back entrance road weaves a crooked path. Easter used to see many late night parties under those trees, and loads of us used to camp under there. That was the days when there was a race meeting on the Saturday and drags on the Sunday, plus the Hot Rod show in Mt Mauganui. Taking photos for NZ Hot Rod magazine back then, and three events to cover, plus a party on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, drive home Monday and spend all night developing and printing photos and back to work on Tuesday. The things you can do in your twenties!
    And there wasn't a house for miles back then, just the camping ground at the beach end.

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    The things you can do in your twenties!
    Ain't that the truth!

Couple of pics from Baypark, the Grid line up with a huge crowd!!!

Dale Mathers

One of my photos taken at the Christmas meeting I guess as the Tasman cars are there. Not sure what year it was. McRae in the Crown Lynn M10A and Chris in the 246T Ferrari leadfing the field. This was the rolling start lap and was taken just off the back straight.
    Last edited by kiwi285; 05-26-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    One of my photos taken at the Christmas meeting I guess as the Tasman cars are there. Not sure what year it was. McRae in the Crown Lynn M10A and Chris in the 246T Ferrari leadfing the field. This was the rolling start lap and was taken just off the back straight.
    Graeme Lawrence in the Ferrari #14 - what a beautiful car. Is that Bryan Falloon in P3 in the Rorison car with the Porsche engine and the ex-Lawrence M4A McLaren in P4? Actually both those cars on the front row are right up there in my memory. The M10A seemed to have huge front suspension dive under braking. Hey GM was such a forceful driver! Thanks for the photo and the memories Mike.

It brought back Baypark memories when I saw the Ferrari 246 at Hampton in January. Chris sat in the car for me and chatted about what it was like to drive.
    Last edited by Murray Maunder; 05-26-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Thats possibly the Bay Motors Trophy event Mike, held in November 1969. If thats the case, Marwood should have been starting alongside McRae on the front row in the big Eisert, but suffered engine problems in qualifying after recording the second best time and was withdrawn from the race. I guess thats why Lawrence is alongside McRae.

I know its taken at Pukekohe but it was one smart car in its day and driven by a wily old fox.
    Last edited by kiwi285; 05-29-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Another shot taken at Pukekohe. I reckon that this was one of the best looking Mustangs on our tracks. Became PDL 1 I believe now owned by Steve Ross in Dunedin.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    I know its taken at Pukekohe but it was one smart cat in its day and driven by a wily old fox.
    Atleast it resides back in NZ now!! can't wait to see it back looking this way!! one day!!

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    Graeme Lawrence in the Ferrari #14 - what a beautiful car. Is that Bryan Falloon in P3 in the Rorison car with the Porsche engine and the ex-Lawrence M4A McLaren in P4?

Probably mate, although I think it may be Paul Bolton in the Rorstan car (dark helmet) with Bryan Falloon in the row behind in his metallic blue Brabham. Frank Radisich would have been aboard the M4A by then.

Didn't make it to BP more than twice. The main one I remember was for the 83 Just Juice Series meeting. Here are a few very poor photos from there.

Cheers
    Lee

Name:  IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 6433
Size:  158.8 KBName:  IMG_0015.jpg
Views: 6390
Size:  157.5 KBName:  IMG_0011.jpg
Views: 6281
Size:  138.3 KB

Cheers
    Lee

Name:  IMG_0026.jpg
Views: 6320
Size:  116.2 KBName:  IMG_0025.jpg
Views: 6260
Size:  108.8 KBName:  IMG_0029.jpg
Views: 6491
Size:  134.8 KBName:  IMG_0021.jpg
Views: 6282
Size:  107.4 KBName:  IMG_0033.jpg
Views: 6318
Size:  137.5 KBName:  IMG_0031.jpg
Views: 6316
Size:  148.5 KB

Cheers
    Lee

Those are cool photos Lee, have you got any more?

Nothing worth showing - too blurred or things (heads etc) in the way.

Cheers
    Lee

December 28th 1968. (photos by Kevin McIvor)

Last edited by pallmall; 05-29-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Couple of pics from Baypark, the Grid line up with a huge crowd!!!

Dale Mathers
    Moffat and Gardner front row,with a Jensen/Healey 'pace' car???...what where they thinking???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......regards thunder427

More from December 28th 1968. (Kevin McIvor photos)

FA/F5000.