Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baypark Raceway, 67 to 95, RIP

It was late, but I notice the Fridge Club boy's from Matamata still up in their spot that they inhabited for every meeting from day 1 too the last meeting. I can actually recognize a couple of familiar pairs of shorts and chilly bins. You wouldn't see them head off home too early.

Steve, somewhere you queried "didn't Big Pete race a Porche at Bay Park"
    Answer here, now fill in the dates (obviuosly flying farewell with all in. Neat little Farina bet he knew when these 2 went past, and going into sweeper as well)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    It was late, but I notice the Fridge Club boy's from Matamata still up in their spot that they inhabited for every meeting from day 1 too the last meeting. I can actually recognize a couple of familiar pairs of shorts and chilly bins. You wouldn't see them head off home too early.
    The Matamata Fridge Club, now there's a story that needs to be told Rod!! I hung out with Cedric and that lot on several occasions in the early 90's, always later in the day, and the more booze that got drunk made for an interesting spectacle!!

Dale Mathers

I was a quite observer and marriage guidance councillor for the boys, spent many a weekend at Cedric Arthurs and couple or more trips to Bathurst etc. On bank above Huxfords car is Cedric in his red shorts and t-shirt and myself in the black shorts which were fairly travelled.
    The story could be a box office major if some one made it into a movie. Family rated

Several years ago I was watching some racing on tv. Could have been the Wellington street race. Following an ad break a short snippet of colour footage from Bay Park was played with Jimi Hendrix "Hey Joe" as the background music. It went on for about a minute for so. The footage was amateur footage, but really interesting, and taken over a few different years and events, from the late 60s, to early 70s.

Showed Norm Beechey in his Nova, both on the track and with his team posing next to the car, also showed Red Dawson, Paul Fahey Mustangs, Bryan Thomson Camaro (streaming blue smoke), loads of single seaters etc.

Would anyone happen to know who took this footage, and who might have supplied it to tvnz? And where is it now?

Would make for an interesting feature all right....however I dont think it would be 100% family rated....remember the fire that swept thru the toi toi bushes and the wind blew thick smoke across the track! They were my most ardent supporters....stayed at the fridge club on a friday night because one of the axles broke on the trailor! So I drove the race car to Bayprk from Matamata on slicks! (Kaimais were brilliant!) Where do we start with this Rod? CAP still attends every meeting......he's a bigger legend than any of the drivers! AND still owns the "Worlds best Mustangs" all four of them!

This car visited Bay Park in a few different colour schemes. Note the right front guard little love kiss for Jim in the Sidchrome car.

Another piece of Hanna and Pierce brilliant promotion, those guy's were legends before their time. Thinking outside the square. and dam nice guy's with it. (similar to a couple of blokes who are doing similar today)

Note number on Brock door and the gentleman behind the car who normally drove it.

This car visited Bay Park in a few different colour schemes. Note the right front guard little love kiss for Jim in the Sidchrome car.
    Wow, colour photos of this car in Union Travel colours are REALLY rare! Thanks Rod. Did Moffat freight both his race car and transporter to NZ?

Ol Cedric himself, what a character!!

Banned
    A great thread and terrific pics.

PH Would think it was F-----n great.

Steve, somewhere you queried "didn't Big Pete race a Porche at Bay Park"
    Answer here, now fill in the dates (obviuosly flying farewell with all in. Neat little Farina bet he knew when these 2 went past, and going into sweeper as well)
    Hi Rod, this would have been Easter 74'...not that I was around yet but it would have been the year after Bruce brought our Capri over the previous year Easter 73'. Geoghan ran a Grace Bros sponsored Porsche during that season.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSS CUNNINGHAM View Post
    A great thread and terrific pics.

PH Would think it was F-----n great.
    Russ, wouldn't he just!!! shame Pete past away(1997) just before the computer/E-mail thing took off!!! he was mad crazy about "Faxing" everyone so god knows what he would have done with computers!!! he always had an opinion about everything, i was alot younger then but always found Pete hardcase!!I remember going up to his office one day with 2 other mates that wanted to sit there race licence's, they went though all the paperwork and question stuff as you do and promptly got there licence's, he then turned to me and said you bloody "mayaswell" have one too!! still have it to this day, luckly!! LOL

Amazing times!!

Dale Mathers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, colour photos of this car in Union Travel colours are REALLY rare! Thanks Rod. Did Moffat freight both his race car and transporter to NZ?
    it was a Ford truck as well Steve "surprise". whole rig came over. It was painted red before when used to transport falcons around. Rig could tell a few tails

Had a few bacon and eggs on that table Dale, trying to get over the night before in the little room across the yard with the Ford carpet that Mr Johnson organized after a visit with Jim Richards.
    A character alright. Cedric painted Jims cars among other things. Remember Mr Moffat saying "you have more of my old stuff than i do" on a visit not that long ago.

Another thought Dale, imagine the photos in that album, history plus there.

Weekend Warrior
    it was a Ford truck as well Steve "surprise". whole rig came over. It was painted red before when used to transport falcons around. Rig could tell a few tails
    It's alive and well in Melbourne Rod, now white.
    Jims Falcon Sprint was delivered to us on this, at one time.

Rod, Marty, thanks for the info on the Moffat transporter. I guess it would have been painted blue in 1974 to tie in with Moffats Brut 33 sponsorship? His XB Falcon Group C car was blue.

Marty, see if you can sneak it again (with car on back) and deliver it to us at Phillip Island in early march so we can pack it all away and bring it on home. If only ah. Tell Jim I will look after it.

Semi-Pro Racer
    What is this one that the Bowdens got from Moffat and they use to cart the Mustang around on ?
    Last edited by TonyG; 06-21-2014 at 08:54 AM.

That looks like the one I saw at Eastern Creek a few years ago with Norm Beecheys Monaro on the back. Didn't John Goss have a similar one?