Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Matamata Round the houses.

The locals are trying to have the Phoenix Palms in Tamihana Street removed.

Matamata 1965 - some coloured photos.

Photos by Glen Kirk - he has given permission to " borrow " them
    Glen also has some Monchrome photos of the " Original " Dragstrip at Meremere - a Cinder Strip close to the current Meremere Dragway.

The Saloon Grid in Hohaia Street.
    Colin Lumsden - De Soto #63 Graeme Park Plymouth Coupe [partly obscured right ] and what is number ?*7 -Anglia or Humber 80 - I am unsure ?

Name:  Matamata 1965 #31 1965 grid De Soto Colin Lumsden Plymouth Coupe Graeme Park Anglia Q - Glen Kir.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  140.9 KB

Garth Souness, Morrari - on a trailer and on " Borrani " Wire Wheels - in 1964 Garth was running the Ford Coupe

Name:  Matamata 1965 #32 1965 Morrari Garth Souness on trailer Glen Kirk .jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  56.7 KB

Jim Boyd, Lycoming In the Pit area -
    Placed 1st in the Sports Car Handicap Race against some of the " racing cars "
    Also ran in the " Formula Libre Racing Cars and Sports Racing Cars " the " Festival Road Race " - Race #13 Placed 5th in the 15 Lap Race

Name:  Matamata 1965 #33 1965 Lycoming Special Jim Boyd Glen Kirk .jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  135.8 KB

Have inquired if Glen has any more photos - he travelled to the UK in 1966 and is unsure of any more !

Matamata Round the houses. Posts #1 to #3.

Oldfart query #1 Post in this thread :
    Matamata Round the houses.
    I have very fond memories of this, but don't seem to be able to find much.
    Anyone?

Steve Holmes - reply question
    How many years did they run it for Rhys? I don't think it was on the championship trail so didn't get the media coverage that other events did. There are a couple of great photos floating about of Red Dawson in his Willys coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari from Matamata. **

Oldfart - reply
    I believe it ran for 2 years. The old man was Town Clerk there. There were plenty of articles and photos in Motorman, Almost all the "names" took part with every class imaginable.

Copying the posts as a lot has come to light on the Races.

Would like to get hold of the Motorman articles - have the Results from Graham Woods archives and some programme details from Milan Fistonic, Keiron Guinness, Myles Hicks and photos from Scott Given Studio - through Ross Cammick, Alan Boyle's photos from 1964 and Glen Kirk's from 1965.

** Photos of The Willys and the Morrari now attached, the Morrari photo a static one from the Pits / Paddock.

Have contacted Hamilton Car Club in the hope of obtaining more information - that is how the Glen Kirk photos came to light.

Thanks Rhys for starting the thread, I had not seen it until recently, when I got information about the " Orchid Special " from its current owner in Switzerland who is trying to find all he can about that cars History -he referred to TRS Thread #847 - he, Richard, has a big archive but more is needed, especially on the early years of that car.

As a Post Script - The photo on the cover of the 1965 Programme show two " Racing Cars " going through a corner with the Farmers Building in the background and a big crowd.
    Photo copied below - cropped from the Programme.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #65 Programme Cover Photo crop - image5 Myles Hicks .jpg (579x800) (2).jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  63.8 KB

Farmers are still in Matamata on Tainui Street at Number 7 - between the Council Building to the South and Broadway to the North. Is it the same location ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I would SUGGEST (same word could replace "state" in earlier post) that the photo with the Zephyr, 105E, Humber/Hillman could be Tamihana /Meura St corner. The plane tree plantings in many parts of town took place while we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old.
    Thanks Rhys

Oldfart mentioned the plane trees and commented
    " we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old. "

A photo of Matamata - Broadway in 1968 - should be familiar.

Name:  Matamata 1968 #21 Broadway showing Regent Theatre right Chris Burles archives .jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  145.8 KB

The Race turned away from this part of Broadway - heading West ..right hand turn out of Tamihana, I think.

Make that Tainui Street, right turn into Broadway..
    See Milan's note - should have got out my Map..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-11-2022 at 05:23 AM. Reason: correction *** writer error ### 47 ..

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Oldfart mentioned then plane trees and commented
    " we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old. "

A photo of Matamata - Broadway in 1968 - should be familiar.

Name:  Matamata 1968 #21 Broadway showing Regent Theatre right Chris Burles archives .jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  145.8 KB

The Race turned away from this part of Broadway - heading West ..right hand turn out of Tamihana, I think.
    The circuit turned right from Broadway into Hohia Street then right into Tamihana, right into Meura Street, left into Tui Street, right into Tainui Street then right back onto Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    The circuit turned right from Broadway into Hohia Street then right into Tamihana, right into Meura Street, left into Tui Street, right into Tainui Street then right back onto Broadway.
    Milan, thought I had my Tainui and Tamihana mixed up, and couldn't find my notes. Do have the map that you posted.
    Cheers.

Now edited.

Re-reading a copy of NZ Classic Driver from 2015 - Has the article on the Healey - Corvette. There is in Allan Dick's column on the Ian " Red " Dawson Willys - Corvette a photo of the said car running about fourth in the 1965 Matamata Races.
    In the field are ;
    Frank Radisich - Humber - Zephyr [ *** according to the programme the car had a 2553 cc motor which is Ford Zephyr size - not a Jaguar at either 3442 or 3781 cc ] - correction *** ,
    an Anglia white with central stripe,
    [ Allan Dick says possibly Jack Nazer - must look at entry lists - but Race number not visible ],
    Rod Coppins Zephyr - Corvette - in white /blue stripe - Team Molyslip colours
    Red Dawson Willys - Corvette.
    Photo by Terry Marshall
    Will scan and post the photo and will also see if I can get a better copy from Terry Marshall,asking if he has any more of the event -he should have.
    Will be good to add to the thread.

Cars are taking a Right Hand corner - past what appears to be a very large house with a huge crowd in front.

Cover of the magazine.NZ CD #63 Nov-Dec 2015

Name:  Motoring Books #405 B NZ CD #63 AH Healey Corvette story 2020_01_05_1204 (583x800) (2).jpg
Views: 869
Size:  151.0 KB

Now to scan the image and contact TM ..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-11-2022 at 05:28 AM. Reason: correction *** more info ### 47 ..

The J C Histed Lola - the front engined car mentioned in this thread appears in the 1963 Shell Book of new Zealand Motor Racing.
    I recently was given a copy of the First Edition of these publications.
    Now have 1963 - 64 - 65 - 66, and 1967 [ Two copies of 1967].
    Does any one know if it was published after 1967 ??.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    The J C Histed Lola - the front engined car mentioned in this thread appears in the 1963 Shell Book of new Zealand Motor Racing.
    I recently was given a copy of the First Edition of these publications.
    Now have 1963 - 64 - 65 - 66, and 1967 [ Two copies of 1967].
    Does any one know if it was published after 1967 ??.
    There were ten Greenslade and Sarginson annuals finishing in 1972. In 1973 there was another annual called New Zealand's Competition Yearbook edited by Robin Curtis. There have been various annuals published since that time.

There were ten Greenslade and Sarginson annuals finishing in 1972. In 1973 there was another annual called New Zealand's Competition Yearbook edited by Robin Curtis. There have been various annuals published since that time.
    Brilliant, Thanks Milan, only have to get 1968 - 1972. I think I have the 1973 Competition Yearbook. *** No I don't see edit

Name:  Motoring Books #197 the New Zealand colln R Dowding .jpg
Views: 858
Size:  138.0 KB

Must check in here and the boxes .. *** it is not - the book with the blank spine - faded away is the 1987 Dunlop Book of NZ Motor Sport.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 12-21-2020 at 07:00 AM.

World Champion
    Roger,
    Although we live thousands of miles apart it seems that we have a lot of similar tastes in reading material !
    (Omokoroa NZ to Los Olivos, CA. 6,454 mile Distance )`

Name:  1222202341.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  160.6 KB

Cheers,
    Ken H

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    Although we live thousands of miles apart it seems that we have a lot of similar tastes in reading material !
    (Omokoroa NZ to Los Olivos, CA. 6,454 mile Distance )`

Name:  1222202341.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  160.6 KB

Cheers,
    Ken H
    Indeed Ken , indeed a few are the same and a few I would like..

Take care all you Guys on TRS and have a great Christmas and New Year, Rollon 2021 - it has got to get better.

and remember " those Boys in Blue will be watching You ..

Name:  Pukekohe 1967 NZGP Mini, Anglia, A40 Police car .   CCI04092015 (2).jpg
Views: 745
Size:  164.2 KB

Cheers from Omokoroa.. from the little guy looking from the car - aged about 4 here..My Dad at the drivers door

Name:  Cars by Roger Dowding #71 Ford Consul Mk1, Briscoes car 31 Dec 1951 CCI04022016.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  133.8 KB

Picture features in the latest Stephen Barnett book " Life with Cars " just released..

Roger

Matamata 1964 - Another Picture has emerged

Andy Buchanan and Bill Thomasen - [ both in Brabhams ?] ** Thomasen in a Cooper Buchanan in a Brabham 1.5 litre - the 1964 event.
    They came Second and First in one of the Heat Races that day - Magazine report of results previously posted.

Name:  Matamata 1964 #51 1964 Andy Buchanan leads Bill Thomasen Brabhams Graham Woods  (2).jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  129.7 KB

These two were often close together as seen at Pukekohe in 1965 .. Bill in front this time
    - from a magazine " Motorman " ? " possibly.

Name:  Pukekohe 1965 #53 Bill Thomasen leads Andy Buchanan Brabhams Graham Woods .jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  104.0 KB

Photographers not detailed - both from Graham Woods archives.

The results - to save scrolling back over the thread.

Name:  Matamata 1964 #13 1964 Mar Results G Woods photo (2).jpg
Views: 891
Size:  121.4 KB

Results say Thomasen in a Cooper - which is correct ??
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 01-07-2021 at 06:25 AM. Reason: ** Cooper ###47

You will note from the caption that the photo of Thomasen in the Brabham is from Pukekohe not Matamata. It was from the December 12 1964 meeting at Pukekohe. In the other photo from Matamata in May 1964 he is in a Cooper.

You will note from the caption that the photo of Thomasen in the Brabham is from Pukekohe not Matamata. It was from the December 12 1964 meeting at Pukekohe. In the other photo from Matamata in May 1964 he is in a Cooper.
    Thanks Milan, knew the second photo was Pukekohe, the Matamata image cars were unnamed, I assumed the same cars as the Puke photo. Good to know the Puke meeting was Dec 1964 - can correct my archive.
    Do you have any entry list for 1964 ?, I only have an image of the cover of the programme.
    Cheers

Roger

Matamata Street races 1964 -65 - another photo or is it ?.

This photo was posted by Spgeti on the HVRA " Historic Vintage Racing " Fb page - a collection of photos for Rod Coppins and the Zephyr Corvette in its Team Molyslip colours. - Photographer not stated.
    [I]It looks like Matamata !, but the Church does not look the same as the next photo/I].

The Start - Ian " Red " Dawson Willys Corvette, Rod Coppins Zephyr Corvette, and a Humber.
    Name:  Matamata 1964 #020 1964 Willys - Dawson Zephyr - Coppins Humber  front row Bruce Dyer archives.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  87.9 KB

Must be the start of a different race to this one - under the Bardahl Banner by the Church. A different Church, but I understand that the start was moved
    [ posted before ].
    Name:  Matamata 1964 #54 1964 Saloon Allcomers 60 Ford 37 Anglia 40 Holden 59 Willys Newspaper photo (2.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  104.5 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-11-2022 at 05:32 AM.

Yes, the one with the more obvious Bardhal banner shows the Anglican Church in the background, almost on the corner of Broadway. This gave a longer run before the first corner than the previous start which was closer to where the Church of the Holy Angels (Catholic) is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Yes, the one with the more obvious Bardhal banner shows the Anglican Church in the background, almost on the corner of Broadway. This gave a longer run before the first corner than the previous start which was closer to where the Church of the Holy Angels (Catholic) is now.
    Rhys, thought you would know,
    Thanks, was back in the Village last weekend, past Hohaia Street, down Broadway and a few other places, looking for food and wine not cars ..
    Have found a photo of a Standard 10 with a Ford 1500 motor and transmission from those days, Mike Miers did Waharoa, Kerepehi and other meetings around the Waikato - even took the car to Levin..

This from Kerepehi .. called Hybrid, has a whole new connotation in this modern PC world .. Motor from one Maker, Car from another, or vice versu .. simple !!
    Name:  Motor Racing Kerepehi #006 Kerepehi 1966 Mike Miers - Hamilton Standard 10 Cortina 1500 running .jpg
Views: 467
Size:  62.7 KB

Thanks to Jenny Lucey and husband Rob for the photo !!

Guessing Singer right, Simca Left and a mini behind - a mixed field..
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-29-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Matamata Street races 1964 -65

Another photo from Matamata has surfaced - John Larry Lawton, a photographer who has posted photos of many events found this one.
    I have put 1965 on the photo - but will check in entry lists etc. The Jennings Fiat, should be a good clue.
    It is 1965 and is part of a series of photos by John, known as Larry, Lawton.
    Will upload those photos soon.
    Some are not good photos as a few spectators head have got in the way, but more from the event.
    Attached to the posting of them are some details which I will include.

A mixed Saloon field, Anglia in front -the Jennings Fiat in the haybales a Chev ? Coupe and another Coupe -is it an older Ford like Garth Souness ran.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #023 Anglia, Chev Coupe and Ford Coupe - Souness Q Jennings Fiat in bales Matamata.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  124.2 KB

This photo was posted by Allan Dick in a story about Fastback and other Anglia's in the 1960's

The Anglia- of Jack Nazer - is this the same car and is this Matamata -** can't quite decipher the Street sign - look at the crowd..
    Race number on the window not on the door like the top photo, and also the stripes.

Name:  Matamata 1965 #096 Jack Nazer Anglia Street Race Location Matamata Q arch Allan Dick (800x533) (.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  164.3 KB

Thanks to " Oldfart " for starting the thread with a question. ??
    Now have a lot of information on the two events in 1964 and 1965.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 07-21-2022 at 04:22 AM. Reason: 1965 event JLL ###47