Thread: Matamata Round the houses.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    does anyone know anything about car 26 in the second piccie here please? I beleive it had an Edward Turner designed engine , he also designed the triumph speed twin and Ariel Square Four
    Car 26 is B. Merrett's Daimler SP250, powered by a 2.5-litre V8 designed by Edward Turner. The car was released in 1959 and was originally to called the Daimler Dart but Chrysler objected to them using that name so it was changed to SP250.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Car 26 is B. Merrett's Daimler SP250, powered by a 2.5-litre V8 designed by Edward Turner. The car was released in 1959 and was originally to called the Daimler Dart but Chrysler objected to them using that name so it was changed to SP250.
    I was talking to the guy wh owns and races in in chch at the weekend, he's had it 35 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    I was talking to the guy wh owns and races in in chch at the weekend, he's had it 35 years.
    The red car was the latest imported and was displayed by the agents as quite special, having chrome wire wheels. It was purchased as a replacement for the car restored and raced by Steve and David Oxton being written off. Steve's head mechanic looked after the car, which strangely had a significant advantage in respect of performance, much to Steve's annoyance.

A batch of SP250's became imported as a result of the agent's desire to use up import license on hand with there being a delay in the delivery of saloon models.

The V8 engine proved troublesome in the SP250 due to a significant defect.. The oil-way in the crankshaft, opened up in diameter at each crank pin, thus creating a chamber, which became blocked with lead, deposited due to this becoming what amounts to a centrifugal filter. It was presumed that the saloon models with automatic transmission did not suffer due to the engines running at higher average RPM and therefore temperature.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 03-02-2023 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Addition.