Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matamata Round the houses.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Matamata Round the houses.

I have very fond memories of this, but don't seem to be able to find much.
    Anyone?

How many years did they run it for Rhys? I don't think it was on the championship trail so didn't get the media coverage that other events did. There are a couple of great photos floating about of Red Dawson in his Willys coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari from Matamata.

Matamata 1965 and more recently ..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    How many years did they run it for Rhys? I don't think it was on the championship trail so didn't get the media coverage that other events did. There are a couple of great photos floating about of Red Dawson in his Willys coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari from Matamata.
    " I believe it ran for 2 years. The old man was Town Clerk there. There were plenty of articles and photos in Motorman, Almost all the "names" took part with every class imaginable. "

Continuing the story. I noted that some photos of Matamata had appeared on others thread some time ago.

At the risk of " repeating " the photos, thought I would bring a couple together that came from Milan Fistonic vast collection.
    One from 1965 and one more recent.
    The Events were as is now well known held in 1964 and 1965 ..

Milan notes with the photo ;- as written in 2016 on the Rhys Nolan photos thread ..
    " This is from 1965 and was taken at the corner of Tamihana and Rata Streets. "

" John Richards in the locally built Lotus 15 replica followed by Bill Caldwell's Lola which is being monstered by Donelly's HWM- Thunderbird.

Well if all the Chev-engined cars were powered by Corvettes then the Ford engine must have been a Thunderbird! "

Tui - Yeah Right ..

Was Donnelly trying to merge #14 with #114 .. The HWM was looking pretty scruffy even before this " Accident " ..

Name:  Matamata 1965 #039 Sports cars crash Matamata archive Milan Fistonic.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  151.4 KB

The more recent photo - 2016 Matamata - the same location. Same house in the background, has had some shutters added to the windows ..

Name:  Matamata 1965 #040 The corner recent years Matamata Milan Fistonic.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  135.0 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 11-11-2022 at 05:36 AM.

I believe it ran for 2 years. The old man was Town Clerk there. There were plenty of articles and photos in Motorman, Almost all the "names" took part with every class imaginable.

Yep, I remember these meetings. Saw my first E Type Jag and Gordon Keeble at the Matamata races. Must have been 63 & 64 I think

I am pretty sure it was not 63, as we did not live there then. 64 and 65 or 65 and 66. I could have confirmed this if the council official newspaper cutting books had not been sent to the Turnbull after Mum died last year, as she collated them.
    Certainly Andy Buchanan and co were there as I remember that he won the feature one year in the Brabham (?)
    Last edited by Oldfart; 10-31-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Definitely 64 and 65. I went to the first one, but not the second

Ten points for whoever can identify the Spitfire driver:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Spitfire Man. Perhaps someone who was more often seen in small saloons and bigger single-seaters?

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post

Not sure I saw a definitive answer on this - Is it Reginald Cook?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Not sure I saw a definitive answer on this - Is it Reginald Cook?
    There wasn't. Just someone with an answer being secretive. Newspaper report said "K.Grant". Drove A40/Lotus Cortina? Brabham 2.5.

Don't know if he ever drove a Spitfire at other meetings. Someone who lived at the other end of N Island might.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    There wasn't. Just someone with an answer being secretive. Newspaper report said "K.Grant". Drove A40/Lotus Cortina? Brabham 2.5.

Don't know if he ever drove a Spitfire at other meetings. Someone who lived at the other end of N Island might.

Stu
    Kerry Grant raced the Spitfire at Ruapuna and then Matamata, then sold it to my mate Ian Pinkerton

norm agnew

Matamata Street races 1964 -65 The Kerry Grant Triumph Spitfire

The answer - somewhat late is ... Kerry Grant in the Spitfire.

as seen in this photo
    Sadly David cannot award the ten points [ RIP David McKinney and RIP Kerry Grant recently ].

This is a Morrie Given photo as found in the Scott - Given Studio archives on the events in Matamata.

Name:  Motor Racing Matamata #39 1964 31 Spitfire Kerry Grant  Ross Cammick Scott-Given archives.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  65.0 KB

and this photo from Bob Homewood archives. Think the same photo that started the question in the earlier post..

Name:  Motor Racing Matamata #40 1964 31 Kerry Grant Spitfire Bob Homewood.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  88.8 KB

The car is also in this group - photo by Alan Boyle

Name:  Motor Racing Matamata #68 1964 Sports Cars Alan Boyle photo (2).jpg
Views: 545
Size:  43.0 KB

I posted the Scott - Given series of photos on my Dunedin Thread - but perhaps they could be repeated here.
    This thread was started in 2012 before I joined TRS and I don't think I have looked at it before.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 09-24-2020 at 05:43 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I would think that description fits

The circuit appears to be the same for both years.

Name:  1965 Matamata Map.JPG
Views: 1616
Size:  147.4 KB

Fantastic thread, lets keep this going. Thanks for starting this Rhys.

I was there ,first time I ever saw a car with dual wheels, a Dodge or ???plus around the fuel tanks at Mt Maunganui was the same time Frank Matich in a Lotus 19 ?? and a Brabham?? cleaned up. Archibald in a Mk2 Jag also ran I think

Journeyman Racer
    I just have to ask but did Archibald ever race that MK11 Jag in the North Island? I am sure he was never at Levin as I remember allways wishing he was going to be there

Archibald was in those 6hr races at Puke .Sadly I never saw him ,only wheels I had back then had Ped??? on the side a convertable top one or two pusher motors now fifty years ago.I did see him up close in 64 Ardmore reunion at Puke.had to look fast as he wasnt along side for very long plus Marwood was stuck to my bumper in stock standard v8 Rover ..No he woundnt BS me.Years later Ernie Spraque told me Ray changed his diff ratio to suit